There's always a new mistake to make - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2021, 12:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
There's always a new mistake to make

It seems that no matter how old and experienced I get there's always a new mistake to make. I brought the trailer home from storage to begin prepping for a big trip to Utah. It had been winterized so the first task was to get the water system all set up. I started filling the fresh tank, and once it had a few gallons in it I turned on the pump and got water running through the cold lines. Then I opened a hot water tap and waited for the hot water heater to fill and water to appear at the sink.

Mary came in and we got to talking and after a while I realized that it seemed to be taking a really long time for the hot water heater to fill, only a trickle of water coming out of the faucet. I started to get worried that I had a problem - we just had that big freeze last month in Texas and although I was fully winterized, you never know....

I double checked the bypass valves and they were in the correct position. So I went outside to check the hot water heater and discovered that when I had emptied it while winterizing I Ieft the pressure relief valve open and water was pouring out, I had been pumping water out onto the ground for a while. Closed the valve, all set. At least my mistakes seem to be getting less serious than some I've made in previous years.
Old 03-19-2021, 12:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Good story
I’m waiting for the next thing I forget.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 12:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Lemonade

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
It seems that no matter how old and experienced I get there's always a new mistake to make. I brought the trailer home from storage to begin prepping for a big trip to Utah. It had been winterized so the first task was to get the water system all set up. I started filling the fresh tank, and once it had a few gallons in it I turned on the pump and got water running through the cold lines. Then I opened a hot water tap and waited for the hot water heater to fill and water to appear at the sink.

Mary came in and we got to talking and after a while I realized that it seemed to be taking a really long time for the hot water heater to fill, only a trickle of water coming out of the faucet. I started to get worried that I had a problem - we just had that big freeze last month in Texas and although I was fully winterized, you never know....

I double checked the bypass valves and they were in the correct position. So I went outside to check the hot water heater and discovered that when I had emptied it while winterizing I Ieft the pressure relief valve open and water was pouring out, I had been pumping water out onto the ground for a while. Closed the valve, all set. At least my mistakes seem to be getting less serious than some I've made in previous years.
The lemons to lemonade entry in your journal would be “Thoroughly flushed pressure relief water heater valve on the Escape today. Mine is usually “Thoroughly flushed hot water tank and reinstalled anode, once driveway drained away. Picked up drowned out night crawlers after dark.”
Iowa Dave
Old 03-19-2021, 12:56 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
The good news is your hot water tank had a good flush.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 02:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Oh what a relief it is...

Hi: davidmurphy2... Just think how much pressure you relieved!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
The lemons to lemonade entry in your journal would be “Thoroughly flushed pressure relief water heater valve on the Escape today. Mine is usually “Thoroughly flushed hot water tank and reinstalled anode, once driveway drained away. Picked up drowned out night crawlers after dark.”
Iowa Dave
Second winterizing (after quick January trip) this year, I was rushing to beat an incoming storm. After blowing air through the system, I'd remembered to release the pressure on the cold side, but forgotten to do the same on the hot side after disconnecting the air compressor. As I reached the end of the threads on the anode as I pulled it, it shot out and hit me in the sternum at considerable force. No wounds other than pride.
cityofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 10:44 PM   #7

Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityofdestiny View Post
Second winterizing (after quick January trip) this year, I was rushing to beat an incoming storm. After blowing air through the system, I'd remembered to release the pressure on the cold side, but forgotten to do the same on the hot side after disconnecting the air compressor. As I reached the end of the threads on the anode as I pulled it, it shot out and hit me in the sternum at considerable force. No wounds other than pride.
Your post above appears in about this exact form about three or four times a year. So glad you weren’t hurt and posting an incident like this while slightly embarrassing is a good public service reminder for taking time and thinking ahead. Thanks for posting.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-20-2021, 04:46 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
I can't remember what I last forgot ....

Sorry, Tom
Old 03-20-2021, 06:16 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
I can't remember what I last forgot ....

Sorry, Tom
Hi: StarvingHyena... When unwinterizing there's always two things I forget... Three!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 01:05 PM   #10

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
bypass valve

Something I never have to remember but Nancy has to remember to remove items that may not like to be stored at 100* or more.
AZjack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 01:20 PM   #11

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
Quote:
Your post above appears in about this exact form about three or four times a year. So glad you weren’t hurt and posting an incident like this while slightly embarrassing is a good public service reminder for taking time and thinking ahead. Thanks for posting.
Iowa Dave
No wounds other than to pride. I have checklists for everything associated with the trailer, problem is I don't always use them.
cityofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 01:37 PM   #12

The opposite

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
Something I never have to remember but Nancy has to remember to remove items that may not like to be stored at 100* or more.
AZjack
Well we don’t have that problem in Iowa as you know Jack but I do get thinking about things when it’s -28 with a 35mph wind. I can tell you it’s not a time to work with steel,
cast iron or Proflex. Which at that temp is Noflex.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-20-2021, 08:33 PM   #13

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Picked up drowned out night crawlers after dark.”
Iowa Dave

Catch any fish?
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 08:54 PM   #14

Fish

Once in a while I do catch a fish as a matter of fact. Caught this one in my daughters back yard. Bluegill on a 6/0 circle hook. Use a worm to catch the bait.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
7E80461A-8BCD-4DA3-BAF4-8086CEC38963a.jpeg