Thermostat E1 Error - Quartzsite with No Heat - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2020, 01:37 PM   #1

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Thermostat E1 Error - Quartzsite with No Heat

I started a new thread so readers can see the issue without reading my whole post. I would have edited the previous thread but I can’t change the title.

I have a 2017 5.0 TA picked up in Sept ‘17. I have never had any problem with the furnace until now. The last time I used the furnace was in October.

All my stops on the way to Qsite had shore power so I used my under step electric “toe kick” heater (which I LOVE).

I arrived at Qsite after 6 pm yesterday. When I adjusted the thermostat for heat nothing happened. No clicks, nothing. The t-stat appeared to work normally but no heat. I’ve had a bit of trouble with corrosion so I disconnected the three t-stat wires and reconnected them. Now I have an E1 error. The Goggles say this is a communication error to the control module located in the AC.

I removed the inside grill on the AC and the control module was right there. I unplugged the connectors on the module and reconnected. I reset the tstat (turn off, push and hold the + and press the on/mode button for several seconds. The “- -“ reset appeared. I turned it off and then on but E1 reappeared.

It was a COLD night. It was 40 degrees last night outside and 43 degrees inside. The low tonight is predicted to be 35!

This morning I ran down the road and purchased a new T-stat. I installed it and still get the E1 error. I’ve used the battery disconnect, reconnected and reset. Still get the error. I disconnected the battery cable, left it off 15 min. Reconnected and still get the error.

Any ideas on how to get rid of this error? I’m afraid that I may need shore power to reset the T-stat. That’s just a guess. All the E1 errors I found on Google we’re from A/C users.

Do I need to my escape into Qsite and look for someone to work on it??
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 02:08 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Maybe someone has a portable generator that would give you 110 V AC power. That would eliminate the voltage Switchover question?
Iowa Dave
Old 02-04-2020, 03:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Maybe someone has a portable generator that would give you 110 V AC power. That would eliminate the voltage Switchover question?
Iowa Dave

Good idea. I’ll ask someone around here to bring their generator over for a few minutes. That’ll either fix the error or at least remove that as a variable.

Rich
Old 02-04-2020, 03:18 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
a line to an inverter output would do it too. of course moving a generator is easier then a trailer.
Old 02-04-2020, 03:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
a line to an inverter output would do it too. of course moving a generator is easier then a trailer.

Bob,

This suggestion intrigues me, but I’m not sure how to implement. I have an inverter, but it does not power my A/C. I don’t think I need to turn the air conditioning on, only provide power to the unit. But the A/C is not connected to the transfer switch.

For today, borrowing a generator is the easiest solution, but if this recurs, can you suggest an easy way to provide low amperage (non A/C running) inverter power to my A/C?

Thanks,

Rich
Old 02-04-2020, 06:01 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
We had the same issue happen to us while at the Ballon Festival in New Mexico. Pulled out the info on the furnace and was directed to reset the furnace. You have to pull the access panel to do this very easy furnace work fine after that
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:49 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Rich: I believe the AFSAD12 (Atwood) or DFSAD12 (Dometic) furnaces still just have two wires going to the thermostat. In a pinch could you just pull them off the back of the thermostat and put the wires together? This would force the furnace to run. You wouldn’t have any temperature control but at least you’d have heat. The thermostat is just a fancy switch.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Rich: I believe the AFSAD12 (Atwood) or DFSAD12 (Dometic) furnaces still just have two wires going to the thermostat. In a pinch could you just pull them off the back of the thermostat and put the wires together? This would force the furnace to run. You wouldn’t have any temperature control but at least you’d have heat. The thermostat is just a fancy switch.

Dave,

What a great suggestion!

I looked up the wiring for the control box (inside the A/C plenum) and found the wires that go to the furnace. I pulled the spade jacks off and made a jumper wire. The furnace fan instantly came on. Shortly thereafter I got heat. Yea!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I’m still working on how to reset the existing t-stat. If I can’t figure it out by tomorrow, I’ll buy a cheap bimetal t-stat and use it temporarily (hanging from the ceiling).

Rich
Old 02-04-2020, 09:40 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
Dave,

What a great suggestion!

I looked up the wiring for the control box (inside the A/C plenum) and found the wires that go to the furnace. I pulled the spade jacks off and made a jumper wire. The furnace fan instantly came on. Shortly thereafter I got heat. Yea!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I’m still working on how to reset the existing t-stat. If I can’t figure it out by tomorrow, I’ll buy a cheap bimetal t-stat and use it temporarily (hanging from the ceiling).

Rich
You gave me visions of you freezing in the desert. Had to come up with something. The cheap mechanical stat was going to be my next suggestion if the jumper idea worked! Good thinking.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:22 PM   #10

I don’t know what caused the problem... I don’t know how to fix the problem...
but at least I know what the problem is:
The two main t-stat wires are shorted inside the wall.

In order to assist anyone else who may encounter this problem, I’ll describe my troubleshooting process.

First off, the service manager at a local RV dealer (my thanks to RV Lifestyles) assured me that the whole control system is 12v and that I don’t need 115v to reset the t-stat. He said it sounded like a wiring problem.

Before buying a mechanical t-stat to get me though the night, I pulled out my multimeter (is it works, it must be a Fluke) and tested the wires.

This was my troubleshooting process:

Trouble Shooting E1 Error on Thermostat

Initial symptoms: although the tstat is set for heat, nothing happens.

Initial troubleshooting steps:
Action: disconnected the three wires in the tstat and reconnected
Result E1 error (communications error)

Action: followed the reset procedure (set tstat to off, depress “+” and “on/mode” at the same time until “- -“ appears
Result: “- -“ is displayed

Action: turn tstat to on (either heat or cool)
Result: E1 error recurrs

Action: replace tstat
Result: still get E1 error after reset

Actions:
- pull intake grate from a/c, pull out the reply/control box and disconnect the four wire tstat jack
- Check continuity between molex jack and tstat

Information: There are three terminals on the tstat:
- right is labeled GND has a 16 awg black wire)
- middle has no label (also has a 16 awg black wire but of a different type)
- Left is labeled +12V (has a 16 awg red wire of the same type as the black middle wire
- Later examination of the wires to the middle and left terminal show they are from a two wire ribbon (ie zip cord)

- Red wire on molex jack is labeled “+12v from supply”
- Black wire on jack is labeled “-12v from supply and to t-stat”
- The two wires above are measured at 13.3V

- Red/ white wire on jack is labeled “+12v to t-stat”
- Orange wire is not labeled
- The two wires above are spliced to small gauge wires in what appears to be tstat cable. Note: this is not the same wire as at the middle and left wires at the t-stat. The wires at the tstat are of higher gauge ribbon wire.

Results of continuity tests after disconnecting wires from tstat
- Red/white wire on jack is continuous with both black and red wires of the ribbon cable (ie middle and left terminals of tstat)
- Orange wire on jack is continuous with both black and red wires of the ribbon cable (ie middle and left terminals of tstat)
- Red/wire wire in jack is continuous with orange wire
- Black and red wires of the ribbon cable (ie middle and left terminals of tstat) show as continuous
- Red wire on jack

Conclusion: the wires the go to the middle and left terminals of the tstat must be shorted.

I wired the t-stat directly to the control box and the furnace works fine. No E1 error. Although it dangle from the ceiling at least I have a thermostatically controlled furnace.

Now I have to figure out how to fix the wiring sorry inside the wall.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9065.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	44742
Old 02-05-2020, 04:31 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Even though I don't have this issue, I have to commend you on your thorough description of the problem and trouble shooting.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:50 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'd just leave the thermostat nicely attached to the a/c shroud....
Old 02-06-2020, 08:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'd just leave the thermostat nicely attached to the a/c shroud....

Like this!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	44747
Old 02-06-2020, 08:55 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think you want to move it away of the airflow with air conditioning, close one of the sides and mount there. Air blowing across could impact the a/c. For heat it is fine there since the top unit does not operate.