Thermostat switched from AC to Furnace by itself - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-16-2018, 12:05 PM   #21

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
If anyone is interested in changing their thermostat, this is the one I used in my Casita. When I first installed it only controlled the furnace, but later controlled the Furnace and AC by adding a relay into the 110 circuit to the AC unit and a wire to the thermostat. This mod was required as the AC unit had it own operating controls on the AC unit and not controlled by the stock thermostat.

Those with digital thermostat that controls the heat and AC I do not know why you could not replace a faulty thermostat with this one.

They also have the thermostat without remote, but on cold mornings I liked the ability to raise the temp. without getting out of bed.
Attached Thumbnails
Hunter 42996 w-remote.jpg   Hunter 42996 w-remote open.jpg  
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 12:17 PM   #22

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
I have the digital thermostat and have not had any issues. the biggest issue most folks have is inadvertently taking the thermostat off "Auto" which causes the AC and furnace fans to run at the same time. I myself inadvertently did this and now know to make sure it stays on "Auto".

As Jim stated the position of the thermostat at least on the 5.0 is not in best location for viewing and operating, but likely the best location to prevent wide temperature swings.

As a previous Casita owner one of the first things I did was replace the analog thermostat with a Hunter Just Right digital thermostat with remote control.
If properly designed and wired the A/C fan and the furnace fan should never come on at the same time no matter where the thermostat is set . The system is improperly interlocked which allows this error to occur
This is NOT the fault of Escape , they are only installing the system as directed . if you check the internet Escape trailers are not the only ones experiencing this problem with this particular thermostat .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:29 PM   #23

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
I'm sure Escape wires correctly. My post was in response to those that wrote on this thread of having issues with old analog or old or new digital thermostat and a possible option.

If you watch the video that Jim posted on #17 of this thread it will confirm the issue with the Dometic Digital Thermostat, when not on "Auto" both fans of AC and Heat can or will come on. This operating issue is not specific to Escape.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 03:08 PM   #24

Trailer: 2018 ESCAPE19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJY View Post
We left the TT with AC on for a few weeks and came back to find the AC setting had switched by itself to Furnace mode be itself. Has anyone else experienced this?
We have been told the thermostat is not hard wired - so any number of odd things could happen to jolt the command function as it wirelessly connects. Generally it seems to work, but important to NOT pound on the thermostat as it has a thin film to cushion our pounding and it can also get distorted. I spent a lot of time talking with Dometic. Might be worth a call for your own education to Dometic. Our trailer man said there aren't any other options. All those commands just connect through the air.
Tam2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:49 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape 5.0TA (July 19, 2017)
Found the solution to the incessant clicking noise coming from the A/C unit. Apparently the clicking sound is a relay switch found in the A/C unit which sends a signal from the thermostat to the furnace or A/C to start up or shut off. If you want to limit the relay to a single "click" to initiate or shut down the furnace or A/C, change the "temperature differential" to 2 degrees (vs 1 degree). See the Dometic Captive Touch Thermostat manual on how to do this (pretty straight forward). Hopefully this helps those who find the relay switch noise (multiple clicks going on and off for several seconds for each furnace or A/C cycle) annoying.
John
LatLongJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:05 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Good to know.........thanks for posting.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:34 PM   #27

Trailer: 2018 21
At orientation I was told that many people were calling in and complaining that the AC fan was on all the time.
The easy solution is just set it to auto and have a split between AC and heat temps.
Problem solved!
rotorbudd is offline   Reply With Quote