Tire life - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2019, 05:47 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A "Traveling Sedge"
Black and round is a great place to start for tires !
Thank you all a bunch for the suggestions, I will look for these brands as I get my Escape all ready for this years adventures.
Appreciate your replys,

- Jane
angler24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:39 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Shopping for trailer tires by brand can be difficult, because even the brands which have strong supporters also have lots of reports of problems.

My suggestion, assuming that you are staying with the same type of tire ("ST", which means "Special Trailer") is to get a model which has a speed rating other than the default blank (which means 65 miles per hour for ST tires). If the load and speed index or "service designation" is given (a number and letter after the size designation, such as "107N" in "ST205/75R15 107N"), the letter indicates the speed index:
L: 75 mph or 120 km/h
M: 81 mph or 130 km/h
N: 87 mph or 140km/h
... and so on
The Goodyear Endurance and Carlisle Radial Trail HD are the well-known examples.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:07 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by angler24 View Post
Howdy folks,

I have my sidekick, 2013 Escape 15. She is now going on 5 years and on the original set of tires. I sadly have not had enough time to travel much and there are far less than 10,000 miles on the tires. I think that I read somewhere on this forum that tires should be replaced every 5 years or so regardless of miles put on them. Should I be concerned about replacing the tires at this point? They do not show much wear or any visible signs of problems.
Thanks for any advice!

regards,
- Jane
To add to the discussion, Oliver is equipping their stock trailers with LT or "truck" tires. For example, the Oliver Elite II (twin axle) specs 16" Michelin LTX M/S2. The trailer has a GVWR of 7000 lbs.
suncoastdancers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:13 AM   #24

Trailer: Still Deciding
Goodyear Endurance is setting the new standard for quality tires. Sailuun's are also very well thought of............the only tire from China that is though.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:13 AM   #25

Trailer: none
As far as brands, in my opinion the best trailer tire for the money is Maxxis:

https://www.maxxis.com/tires/autolt/trailer
Old 04-14-2019, 09:43 AM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I went through 3 sets of tires over 7 years on my 17, getting between 25 & 30K on each set. The 2 replacement sets were Maxxis, and I was pleased with them. When I sold the trailer it had around 1000 miles on a set of Goodyear Endurance tires, and the new owner is still happy with them.

After looking at the wear bars & remaining tread, it looks like I will probably be replacing the tires on my 21 this summer (with 2 years & around 20K on the Escape supplied Rainier tires). The replacements will be Goodyear Endurance.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:35 AM   #27

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Shopping for trailer tires by brand can be difficult, because even the brands which have strong supporters also have lots of reports of problems.

My suggestion, assuming that you are staying with the same type of tire ("ST", which means "Special Trailer") is to get a model which has a speed rating other than the default blank (which means 65 miles per hour for ST tires). If the load and speed index or "service designation" is given (a number and letter after the size designation, such as "107N" in "ST205/75R15 107N"), the letter indicates the speed index:
L: 75 mph or 120 km/h
M: 81 mph or 130 km/h
N: 87 mph or 140km/h
... and so on
The Goodyear Endurance and Carlisle Radial Trail HD are the well-known examples.
I think you can’t go wrong with those two or the Maxxis. The three of those are typically considered safe options, especially for the weight of Escapes.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 03:42 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Not-so-hypothetical question.

Just last week upgraded from Escape supplied tires (load range C) to Endurance (load range D), and am wondering about the correct tire pressure.

With the "C's" we kept the pressure at max - 50 psi. Am thinking that since the actual load will not change, nor will I be driving faster, that 50 psi is still a reasonable pressure. For the "D's", max pressure is 65 psi but that might result in a tire that is too stiff for the rather light load it will be carrying.

Is my reasoning sound, or am I missing anything critical?

Thanks!
Alan
alanmalk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 03:47 PM   #29

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post

Just last week upgraded from Escape supplied tires (load range C) to Endurance (load range D), and am wondering about the correct tire pressure.

With the "C's" we kept the pressure at max - 50 psi. Am thinking that since the actual load will not change, nor will I be driving faster, that 50 psi is still a reasonable pressure. For the "D's", max pressure is 65 psi but that might result in a tire that is too stiff for the rather light load it will be carrying.

Thanks!
Alan
Alan we changed out our original tires a couple years ago to Maxxis 8008 Load range D . We run them at 60 psi . The c's ran them at 48 psi . Trailer is loaded the same and noticed no difference . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 03:51 PM   #30

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:

That makes perfect sense.

This specific situation (changing from Load Range C to Load Range D tires, and the inflation pressure to use) has been discussed several times previously in this forum.

Stand by while the "trailer tires should always be inflated to max" crowd types...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 04:08 PM   #31

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:

Thanks!
Alan
To put your mind at further ease, you can check the Good Year Endurance inflation Chart.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 04:09 PM   #32

Trailer: none
Just for you, Brian:

If you got it, flaunt it. Pump those babies up all the way! ��
Old 04-14-2019, 05:56 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
To put your mind at further ease, you can check the Good Year Endurance inflation Chart.
Even more than at ease...
From that chart, carried to the other extreme, one tire on the four tire E21 would carry an average load of about 1000 lbs, allowing for a 25 psi tire pressure. Of course that would give me no margin of error, nor any safety factor should one tire blow, nor good heat dissipation in West Texas where we frequent, etc. etc. So 50 psi it is!

Thank you,
Alan
alanmalk is online now   Reply With Quote