Tire life - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2018, 11:55 AM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A "Traveling Sedge"
Tire life

Howdy folks,

I have my sidekick, 2013 Escape 15. She is now going on 5 years and on the original set of tires. I sadly have not had enough time to travel much and there are far less than 10,000 miles on the tires. I think that I read somewhere on this forum that tires should be replaced every 5 years or so regardless of miles put on them. Should I be concerned about replacing the tires at this point? They do not show much wear or any visible signs of problems.
Thanks for any advice!

regards,
- Jane
angler24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 12:15 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by angler24 View Post
Howdy folks,

I have my sidekick, 2013 Escape 15. She is now going on 5 years and on the original set of tires. I sadly have not had enough time to travel much and there are far less than 10,000 miles on the tires. I think that I read somewhere on this forum that tires should be replaced every 5 years or so regardless of miles put on them. Should I be concerned about replacing the tires at this point? They do not show much wear or any visible signs of problems.
Thanks for any advice!

regards,
- Jane
You will get multiple responses to this question. If it were me in this situation I would show these tires and code manufacturing date to a trusted tire professional, and that’s not a very young person at a tire chain place working on commission. I’d look at a tire store like a Goodyear shop with a guy about 50 behind the counter. Then I’d thank him and tell him I’d get back to him if he said I needed tires. I’d get a second similar opinion and buy from the person who gut struck me as honest and forthright. If he says you can easily go another year that’s what I would do. And then I’d buy from him next year. But maybe that’s just how an old man who has been buying and selling tires since 1964.
Iowa Dave
Old 04-30-2018, 12:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Etrailer says: "Trailer tires should be replaced about every 6 or 7 years, even if the tread is still in good shape. As tires age, they can crack and dry rot. Continuing to use the existing tires would be dangerous."

So you're probably good for another year or two it seems.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:18 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Etrailer says: "Trailer tires should be replaced about every 6 or 7 years, even if the tread is still in good shape. As tires age, they can crack and dry rot. Continuing to use the existing tires would be dangerous."

So you're probably good for another year or two it seems.
But check the date on the tires . We also have a 2013 , but our tires were manufactured in 2012 . It isn't the tread you are concerned about but the age of the tires . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:38 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Jane,
I agree with everything the others said. Having just recently replaced the original tires with the higher rated Goodyears, I have stopped worrying about tires for a while. For just under $400 this was a good choice for me. There were over 40,000 miles on the original ones and they were garaged while not in use.
With just your two tires, I’d balance the potential destruction and inconvenience against the $200–250 to get new, probably somewhat better tires.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 02:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I think the age of the tires is more of a concern under certain conditions. If the trailer sits outside in sunny, hot Texas, you're more likely to need replacement than if the trailer is in a garage in the rain forest.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:19 PM   #7

Tire life

Thanks everyone for the information! My trailer has been kept in NW Washington - wet but not a rain forest and not a garage

My take, thanks to all of you, is that it is close to time to replace tires and not worth risking a potential disaster. I appreciate the replies and advice.

- Jane
Old 04-30-2018, 02:32 PM   #8

I finally replaced my tires in year 6/7. My mechanic gave my old ones to Sally Ann.
If you have AAA or other roadside assistance for the trailer, I would gamble on another year or two.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:01 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the information! My trailer has been kept in NW Washington - wet but not a rain forest and not a garage

My take, thanks to all of you, is that it is close to time to replace tires and not worth risking a potential disaster. I appreciate the replies and advice.

- Jane
Jane we replaced ours at almost 4 years . And as I said they actually were another year older then our trailer . We replaced with a little better tires . The ones Escape uses are not very expensive and it isn't worth taking a chance with your trailer etc. We had to fix 2 flats on the originals . Can dig up a picture of our truck Commerical E tires and show you what a blow out looks like , after I had picked up a screw and was slowly losing air after sitting at a job for 6 hours . Never in my life had this happen and the heavy tread looked great . For a small cost to protect you and your trailer it is a small investment . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 01:04 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Trailer and RV tires usually age out before they wear out. It depends a lot on the specific conditions. Lots of sunlight will age them faster, as will extreme temperatures and cycling between hot and cold. NW Washington's probably not as bad as, say, Arizona in terms of tire aging. It's probably a good idea to go ahead and replace them within the next year or so as a precaution, and definitely replace them now if there's any sign of cracking/dry-rot.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:44 AM   #11

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I asked about mine a year ago and was told they were fine, no reason to buy new ones if they were good. Same shop (LS) inspected the brakes this year and did not try to sell me tires. Also in the PNW. I'll replace them before any long trips. I trust them because they have never tried to sell me anything and more often than not I've driven out of there without new tires. I did the Campster when I got it and again after 7 years, but it lived in California half the year and spent a lot more time on hot highways with smog (ozone does in rubber fast.)
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:51 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
If trailer tires look good still, I always go 7 years before considering replacing them. Has saved me a few thousand bucks over the years over going only 5, and have never had a problem.

I drove my temporary fifth wheel a couple hours home on two years ago on 21 year old tires that looked new. I did hold my breath, but never had any trouble, but took it straight to the tire shop.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 03:57 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
I asked on the forum last year whether we should replace our tires which were about five years old but were not put on trailer right away, but stored. That doesn't seem to matter. I was always concerned about having a blow out with the single axle 5.0. I was advised on the forum to get new since we were making two long trips before they turned six years old. Like Bill and Dave we got the new Goodyear Endurance and have been happy with them. Of course we've gone and sold the trailer so now back to the Carlisles on the new to us 5.0TA. They are like new but will likely replace them as soon as they're five - six years old by the date stamped on them.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 04:27 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
The tire companies advise on when to get new tires and they are all different, but after several years is usually the recommendation. You might see six years but you might see 3-5 or 5-6. In any case, they say not to go by what the tires look like, if it has been quite a few years.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:33 PM   #15

Good afternoon all,

I never got around to replacing the tires on my 2013 Escape 15 footer. I am planning on doing so now. The tire size is ST205/75R15. I know next to nothing about brands of tires for trailers. What should I buy? Cost is a consideration but my primary goal is to get some great tires that will keep us safe and hopefully last awhile. Do you have any recommendations. Thank you.

Jane
Old 04-13-2019, 04:34 PM   #16

I replaced mine at 7 years with Carlisle, which ETI was using a couple years ago. They are black, and round.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:04 PM   #17

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I put Goodyear Endurance on my 2014. I was also happy with the Carlisle Radial Trails it came with. Another is the Maxxis M8008. I've had all 3 between this and my previous trailer and have no preference.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:24 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Tires

I’m a Goodyear Endurance user. At about $108 per tire here in Iowa plus tax, balance and mounting for about a $125 per tire cost the 6 or 7 years or 40-50 thousand miles I’ll get out of them seems reasonable. Four things I have to have. Good tires, good brakes, a good exhaust system on my tow and a good seat for driver comfort.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 05:33 PM   #19

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We are on the third set of tires on our 2013 Casita
When you compare the cost of a trailer vs the cost of a set of new tires
$250 seems rather cheap
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 05:36 PM   #20
RJM

Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Good afternoon all,

I never got around to replacing the tires on my 2013 Escape 15 footer. I am planning on doing so now. The tire size is ST205/75R15. I know next to nothing about brands of tires for trailers. What should I buy? Cost is a consideration but my primary goal is to get some great tires that will keep us safe and hopefully last awhile. Do you have any recommendations. Thank you.

Jane
I have a 2011 15A and mine are 14 inch. It's time to change my tires and I'm getting the Carlisle Radial Trail HD next week. They were introduced a couple of years ago or so and have a speed rating of 81 MPH. The reviews are positive.
RJM is offline   Reply With Quote