Tire pressure - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2020, 12:48 AM   #41
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Sounds good John . Since I had to handle both tires taking off and installing . Also picking up my D’s what a difference . Had my first flat on Carlisle’s in about 6 mo . Pat
ah, I only replaced our original Carlisles last year because they were 6 years old, and starting to look a little crispy.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:25 AM   #42

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
This is about a different kind of tire pressure.

What about changing a tow vehicle tire? This I think wouldn't happen to the trailer tires but, what if you get a flat on your tow vehicle when you’re out there in nowhere land?

In my yard yesterday my truck tire developed a slow leak. I ran over a construction screw in the driveway. Had to remove the tire and put on the spare. That’s when another problem developed. It’s not the first time. I unscrewed all lug nuts, jacked tire off the ground, but couldn’t get the tire off. Had this problem once before so I knew what had to be done. But still, don’t get why this happens. What is it after you remove all the lug nuts that makes a tire rim stick so outrageously firm to the truck disk housing that you must whale, truly whale, on that tire with a sledge hammer, to break that bond?

Is it some magnetic chemical stress adhesive that magically seals the metals together? Whatever it is believe me without applying some very serious prejudicial hammering, after 40 thousand miles, that tire will not be changed.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:18 AM   #43

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Tight

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
This is about a different kind of tire pressure.

What about changing a tow vehicle tire? This I think wouldn't happen to the trailer tires but, what if you get a flat on your tow vehicle when you’re out there in nowhere land?

In my yard yesterday my truck tire developed a slow leak. I ran over a construction screw in the driveway. Had to remove the tire and put on the spare. That’s when another problem developed. It’s not the first time. I unscrewed all lug nuts, jacked tire off the ground, but couldn’t get the tire off. Had this problem once before so I knew what had to be done. But still, don’t get why this happens. What is it after you remove all the lug nuts that makes a tire rim stick so outrageously firm to the truck disk housing that you must whale, truly whale, on that tire with a sledge hammer, to break that bond?

Is it some magnetic chemical stress adhesive that magically seals the metals together? Whatever it is believe me without applying some very serious prejudicial hammering, after 40 thousand miles, that tire will not be changed.
Hi Myron
I’ve had wheels stuck on hub centric mounts a few times. The last one was on my Dakota at 6AM, out in the country at -6degrees F. But I knew what might and did work. I had it Jacked up and the lug nuts off, left rear wheel. I put the lug nuts back on and tightened them down as tight as I could with gloved hands. Lowered the jack and got it out of the way. Got in and started the truck and put it in reverse and then forward about three times. Got back out looked and could see the wheel center had broken loose. Jacked back up, loosened lug nuts and wheel came right off. I didn’t have my BFM with me so that was an option. In many years of driving I’ve done this a handful of times. Helped a couple other folks I came upon who had the problem too. Something I learned from my Dad.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-08-2020, 08:45 AM   #44

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Based on advice from my cousin, who was a Kal Tire service manager, and also from my current tire shop manager, I have always run ST tires at near maximum pressure, and have never had an issue with that.

Most charts from manufacturers giving pressures for various tire loads are a minimum you should run them at. ST tires are designed for stability using a pressure that keeps the sidewalls stiff. Too low of pressure will result in tire instability.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 12:38 PM   #45

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Myron
I’ve had wheels stuck on hub centric mounts a few times. The last one was on my Dakota at 6AM, out in the country at -6degrees F. But I knew what might and did work. I had it Jacked up and the lug nuts off, left rear wheel. I put the lug nuts back on and tightened them down as tight as I could with gloved hands. Lowered the jack and got it out of the way. Got in and started the truck and put it in reverse and then forward about three times. Got back out looked and could see the wheel center had broken loose. Jacked back up, loosened lug nuts and wheel came right off. I didn’t have my BFM with me so that was an option. In many years of driving I’ve done this a handful of times. Helped a couple other folks I came upon who had the problem too. Something I learned from my Dad.
Iowa Dave
When I added the Roadmaster Active Suspension to my F150 this spring I broke the passenger side wheel loose with much effort, but no amount of coaching would break the driver's side. I tightened those lug nuts finger tight and drove quite erratically for about a block before the wheel broke loose. If it happens again I will try the reverse - forward gear technique. I added an Anti-Seize Lubricant to the hub, hopefully they will be easier to remove when I rotate (or have a flat).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 09-08-2020, 03:19 PM   #46

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Biggest problem I see - curious what percentage of trailer owners actually bother to take their trailer, fully loaded for travel, to a scale and actually weigh it. I'd guess less than 10% can make the time to do it right.................
That is certainly an issue. The main reason for the common recommendation to run the maximum allowed inflation pressure is a set of assumptions that:
  • trailers will be supplied with the smallest (because it's cheapest) tire adequate for the rated load,
  • owners/operators will not manage or monitor the weight of the trailer, and
  • owners/operators will not maintain the tire pressure
... so the safest approach is to just put as much air in as allowed on those rare occasions when pressure is checked. Even then, the trailer could easily be loaded over the GVWR and the GAWR, causing even a tire at sidewall maximum pressure to be overloaded.

None of these assumptions are correct for an Escape (which has more than adequate tires) owned by a forum member in this discussion (who is paying attention to pressures and loads).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 03:26 PM   #47

Quote:
I’m not especially aware of different kinds of commerce or weighing opportunities outside of the Midwest but the CAT scale system that’s available at truck stops in the Midwest and other scales “for pay” that are available at other truck stops throughout the country are one way to get things weighed. In addition in our area we can often get free weighing at rock quarries, grain elevators, and landfills.
In Alberta, British Columbia, and some other areas, the government-run highways scales used for commercial vehicle load limit enforcement are free to use for anyone who wants. I only use them when they are "closed" - meaning unattended and trucks are not required to stop - because they're not busy (I don't want to delay a trucker) and the scales are deliberately left on for people to use. I confirmed with the commercial vehicle enforcement branch that this was permitted, and it is welcome; they want everyone to be safe and legal.
Old 09-08-2020, 03:27 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
in the ST205/75R15 size our Escapes take, load range C tires are rated for 50 PSI max, D tires at 65, and E tires at 80 (I think). but our trailers only need range C weights, so even if you're running a D tire, you run it at the range C pressure as that corresponds with the max rated actual loads on the trailer.

if you look at the tire inflation charts, you'll see that at the range C weights, the D and E tires spec the same optimal pressure, they are range D because they *can* go heavier at 65 PSI.

Its the same thing with LT truck tires...
Where's the "Like" button?
Old 09-08-2020, 06:46 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindy View Post
I thought about rotating a new Endurance spare. Maybe I will do that. Would I just keep moving them in a circle, driver to passenger to spare? Or do you keep them on their respective sides and rotate alternately with the spare??
If the wear is not even between the tires on the left and right sides, I would rotate them side-to-side. If it is even, it doesn't matter.
Old 09-08-2020, 06:56 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I unscrewed all lug nuts, jacked tire off the ground, but couldn’t get the tire off. Had this problem once before so I knew what had to be done. But still, don’t get why this happens. What is it after you remove all the lug nuts that makes a tire rim stick so outrageously firm to the truck disk housing that you must whale, truly whale, on that tire with a sledge hammer, to break that bond?
This is most commonly a problem with aluminum alloy wheels on steel hubs. It's a corrosion issue.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:04 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Most charts from manufacturers giving pressures for various tire loads are a minimum you should run them at.
That's what all the load-inflation charts mean - ST or otherwise, from any tire manufacturer. The same thing exists for car and truck tires, but they are not widely published because the vehicle manufacturer publishes (and posts right on the vehicle) recommended (not minimum) pressures for each tire size available from factory... so people don't have to figure it out for themselves and don't need load-inflation tables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
ST tires are designed for stability using a pressure that keeps the sidewalls stiff. Too low of pressure will result in tire instability.
ST tires are no different from other tires - they are all stiffer with more pressure. If the pressure is high enough for the load, the tire is not unstable.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:06 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
We still don't know what tires HARLEYRK has on the new 21. Hopefully we'll hear something before the 75 PSI beats his trailer to death.

Maybe somebody else with a new trailer can tell us about these new mystery tires.
I doubt we'll ever hear anything more from harleyrk... he started this thread 5 day ago and hasn't participated since.

As already suggested, 75 PSI is probably a misreading of the tire sidewall, since that's not a normal maximum inflation pressure for any load range or size of ST tire, and Escape would only likely provide ST tires.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:53 PM   #53

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I doubt we'll ever hear anything more from harleyrk... he started this thread 5 day ago and hasn't participated since.

Busy looking for the jacking point.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:33 PM   #54

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
That's what all the load-inflation charts mean - ST or otherwise, from any tire manufacturer. The same thing exists for car and truck tires, but they are not widely published because the vehicle manufacturer publishes (and posts right on the vehicle) recommended (not minimum) pressures for each tire size available from factory... so people don't have to figure it out for themselves and don't need load-inflation tables.

ST tires are no different from other tires - they are all stiffer with more pressure. If the pressure is high enough for the load, the tire is not unstable.
Quote:
Where's the "Like" button?
Yes. Where is the like button?
Old 09-08-2020, 08:43 PM   #55

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
i run the tires 5 years without any rotations, then the best tire goes on the spare.
X2." Don't need no gobble de gook tire rotation!" Said the Grumpy Old Man- https://youtu.be/vYmA0zPiVHY
Old 09-08-2020, 08:52 PM   #56

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Sorry if my description was indecipherable. Seemed understandable to me and answered the question posed by the queen of the Torque Wrench. And a real nice person I’m proud to say I’ve camped with. ( I know, preposition at the end of a sentence gets a ruler across the knuckles)
Iowa (Words and Ideas by Guth) Dave
Old 09-08-2020, 09:26 PM   #57

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
Quote:
Sorry if my description was indecipherable. Seemed understandable to me and answered the question posed by the queen of the Torque Wrench. And a real nice person I’m proud to say I’ve camped with. ( I know, preposition at the end of a sentence gets a ruler across the knuckles)
Iowa (Words and Ideas by Guth) Dave
Thanks, Iowa Dave, for all your information and the nice compliment! And I failed miserably in the last lug nut competition but I'll gladly retain that recognition as the first Royalty of Torque! Hope to camp with you someday soon.

Thank you, Brian, for your information as well. I always appreciate your knowledge. I appreciate everyone else too who contributes to our trailering well-being.
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote