Tires and batteries for build sheet - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2017, 04:51 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 5.0
Tires and batteries for build sheet

Are the C rated tires adequate for long road trips? Has anyone thought going to D would be better?
I use a CPAP and like to boondock so I am going for 2 6V batteries but I want the quick charge and deep discharge of AGM batteries what wisdom can you share? I am thinking of Trojan SAGM 6 220.
thanks Kevin
kfsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:29 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
After delivery you can certainly change your tires but Escape purchases basically two types of wheels with the current tire model. We all have traveled 10,000's of thousands miles without any issue with the stock wheels and tires. Same with the dual 6 volt batteries. You may ask for just a single battery at no charge and then add AGM later, your choice.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:36 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You may ask for just a single battery at no charge and then add AGM later, your choice.
That's exactly what I did. Got the default battery and swapped it out for a couple of (12v) AGM batteries at home.

Love the low "self discharge", the total lack of maintenance, the almost total lack of vented gasses, not having to worry about "equalization", etc, etc. The only downside was initial cost.

My trolling motor is a 7 year old AGM, still going strong. I only charge it immediately after use and ignore it otherwise.

I don't expect any improvement in time to charge since that is limited by the amount that the solar panel can produce - which is far less than the battery could accept.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:01 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfsmith View Post
Are the C rated tires adequate for long road trips? Has anyone thought going to D would be better?
The load range of the tires has nothing to do with the length of the trip. I has to do with how much weight they are rated for. Also, even if you use load range D tires instead of C, it does nothing to increase the GVWR of the trailer. That is a manufacturer rating based on several factors, the axles being the most important.

So, to answer your question, don't worry about the load rating of the stock tires. The load Range C Carlisles have been running on Escapes for years now, and they're fine.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:04 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
That's exactly what I did. Got the default battery and swapped it out for a couple of (12v) AGM batteries at home.
--
Alan
No kidding, I thought that I was the only one that liked the redundancy of two 12 volt batteries.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:10 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 5.0
great thanks!
kfsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:33 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Are the C rated tires adequate for long road trips?
Yes, the trip length doesn't matter.

Quote:
Has anyone thought going to D would be better?
Many think this, some have changed, and I see no point unless you have some reason to run higher than 50 PSI inflation pressure (and I don't see any point in that).

This rating is a "Load Range", by the way.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:49 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
No kidding, I thought that I was the only one that liked the redundancy of two 12 volt batteries.

Ron
Actually, I am not using them in the typical "redundant" boating style (use one, save one). Rather, I am using them in parallel 100% of the time which gives me the same general parameters as two 6v batteries in series. It was an economic decision since 12v AGMs were much cheaper at the time compared to 6v AGM batteries.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:38 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Actually, I am not using them in the typical "redundant" boating style (use one, save one). Rather, I am using them in parallel 100% of the time which gives me the same general parameters as two 6v batteries in series. It was an economic decision since 12v AGMs were much cheaper at the time compared to 6v AGM batteries.

--
Alan
OK, not the redundancy of the boating situation but a certain redundancy none the less, or maybe not. Do AGM batteries ever loose a cell? If so, then there would be a backup of one battery not affected. Similar to that, in dual 6's does one typically fail in a major way when the second one is still good?

So I guess I'm about the only one with dual 12's isolated with a battery switch and never in parallel except for brief microwave use.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:46 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Anybody have a good tip on Dual 6V AGM that will fit into battery box ETI uses for Interstates?
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:58 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Anybody have a good tip on Dual 6V AGM that will fit into battery box ETI uses for Interstates?
Sure Ross, there's a bunch that are basically the same size as the flooded cell Interstates. Trojans come to mind.

6V-AGM | Trojan Battery Company

Or, for more amp hours, the Lifeline AGM. Roughly the same size as the Interstates.

http://lifelinebatteries.com/product...eries/gpl-4ct/
Old 12-06-2017, 10:21 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Thanks
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:04 AM   #13

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Not trying to hijack here, but maybe I am a bit. Regarding the D range tires, the extra load rating is derived from additional steel belt layers, yes? Would it be reasonable to go with such tires with more plies if one were planning a grand expedition involving super crappy roads, eg something way up north, Alaska, etc; not for additional load capacity, but for greater puncture resistance and durability?
Old 12-07-2017, 12:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
The industry-standard name for the size of the 6-volt batteries used by Escape (and in most RVs) is "GC-2"... the "GC" for "golf car", because that's the traditional use of this size (but they use eight of them). So for most battery manufacturers, the easiest way to search is just to look for the GC-2 size (but that doesn't work at Lifeline).
Old 12-07-2017, 12:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Regarding the D range tires, the extra load rating is derived from additional steel belt layers, yes?
Typically no. The old "ply ratings" refer to the number of layers of cotton cord used in tires so long ago that they rotted away before most of us were born. A modern Load Range C and Load Range D tire commonly have the same number of reinforcing plies, but their strength will likely be higher on the LR-D to handle the higher pressure. If there is an extra layer, it will likely be a sidewall layer of polyester, not a belt layer of steel.

My motorhome's tires are Load Range G and run at up to 110 psi... and have a single sidewall layer (of steel cord). Counting plies doesn't really work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Would it be reasonable to go with such tires with more plies if one were planning a grand expedition involving super crappy roads, eg something way up north, Alaska, etc; not for additional load capacity, but for greater puncture resistance and durability?
Maybe, and it couldn't hurt, but cord strength is not the whole solution to puncture resistance. Extra rubber on the sidewalls is probably more helpful; if you want that, I can only suggest light truck (LT or commercial) tires intended for off-road or rough-road use, rather than Special Trailer (ST) tires which are not intended to ever leave paved roads.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:03 AM   #16

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
agm battery

They have Duracell AGM batteries for sale at SAMS Club for $25.00 off reg price
Series 27 are $133.00 apiece for 12 volt AGM batteries. Jim
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:10 AM   #17

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
They have Duracell AGM batteries for sale at SAMS Club for $25.00 off reg price
Series 27 are $133.00 apiece for 12 volt AGM batteries. Jim
Those Duracell batteries our good batteries . there made by East Penn manufacturing , The Duracell are rebraned copy's of the Deka batteries , they may be sold under other names also.
East Penn Manufacturing – The world's largest single site, family-owned lead-acid battery manufacturer
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote