Toast - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2020, 07:11 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
Toast

After years of crummy toast while camping, I'm asking for ideas for a better way. Assume it's raining and you have no campfire. You have a grill and/or the Escape cook-top. Those over-the-burner fold-up things just don't cut it for us. And it seems like a lot of wasted propane just for one side of the toast. Grilling? Done that. In a skillet? Better but ...

Looking for a better way. Is it hopeless?

As you can tell, we're just looking for a way to avoid thinking about all the horrible fires in the west and the current politics of the US.

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 2001 Scamp 16
I think my cast iron skillet makes good toast. Instead if buttering my toast, I melt a little butter in the skillet and cook one side in the butter. If I’m feeling decadent, I will make it on a thin layer of bacon grease. I mostly use the toast to sop up the yolk from my duck eggs.
northwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Duck Eggs

Wow that’s the first reference to duck eggs I’ve seen in a long time. We used to get them from my grandma when I was a kid. That orange yolk is a thing of beauty. I had a friend from the neighborhood where I grew up. He went off to Vietnam pretty young and struggled for years.
I would run onto him once in a while. Each April he moved out of his Moms place and stayed outdoors the rest of the summer “camping” along the creeks and rivers, usually having a battle with alcohol. I ran into him when I went redhorse fishing one spring on a local creek we had fished as kids. I assessed his camp. He had one old cast iron skillet and I asked him what he ate. I’ll show you he said and took me down along the creek where he ran a Canada Goose off her nest and he took one egg out. I’ll fry this for you he said. I deferred and when I left he was looking pretty dry. I gave him $2.00 for a quart of beer and was on my way. Last I knew he was in an old soldiers home in southern Iowa but the Governor closed it and I’ve lost track of him. Kind of wish I’d eaten the egg with him.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-12-2020, 08:38 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 B second generation 2016
It just makes one at a time, but this has worked well for us.

GSI Outdoors Glacier Stainless Steel Toaster
Attached Thumbnails
984839D8-6F85-43BD-ACE0-BFB1FE144D01.jpeg  
Old 09-12-2020, 08:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
After grilling, frying, campfire toasting, stovetop toasters and a couple other methods over the last near 50 years, I have bought a lightweight two slice electric toaster I use with my inverter. A bit of a change of methodology, but boy do we finally get some great toast, none of that dried out stuff. [emoji16]
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:25 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
First, skip the bread and get some English muffins. Toast them on the grill. What's not to like?
Attached Thumbnails
Breakfast - 1.jpg  
Old 09-13-2020, 12:26 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
First, skip the bread and get some English muffins. Toast them on the grill. What's not to like?
You eat Good Glen ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 06:36 AM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I put in a 1000w inverter and bought the smallest toaster I could find.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:32 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
I'm toast!!!

Hi: padlin... My problem with a small toaster is big bread slices. Cutting them in half takes twice as long. Oh wait I'm retired!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:16 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Toastmaster from Walmart. 1036 watts. 1.25 inch slots. Under $20

We have one for the trailer and one at home. Travels fine.

Works great on the ETI supplied 1500 watt inverter.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:30 PM   #11

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho
If you like toast you may like this.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:41 PM   #12

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
I sat there and wondered who would pay to watch that guy or how much beer would it take to laugh at him. Then I was thinking well you sat there and watched the whole thing.
uthorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:57 PM   #13

Trailer: 2012 E19
There's nothing better than fresh bread, warm and moist from baking. But when we don't have that, we go to the other extreme and toast it... making it less fresh and somewhat dessicated, but at least it's warm once again. We humans are an odd lot! (I include myself.)

Personally, when camping I tend to take a loaf of Braum's (the local dairy store) raisin nut bread for breakfasts. Usually I eat it unwarmed and with butter. But if I have electric hookup, since I pack an electric 2-slice toaster I'll pop my bread in the toaster just long enough to get warm but not toasted. That makes the butter melt.
Old 09-13-2020, 01:22 PM   #14

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho
Quote:
Originally Posted by uthorns View Post
I sat there and wondered who would pay to watch that guy or how much beer would it take to laugh at him. Then I was thinking well you sat there and watched the whole thing.
Heywood Banks has quite a few funny songs, some folks just don’t enjoy such things, which is fine, but you don’t have to be insulting.

I’ve noticed this forum has declined in civility over the years and I am frequently hesitant to post because of snide comments such as this. I haven’t started a new thread in years because of this sort of forum degradation, which I suppose is inevitable with the general trend in internet norms.

Before posting something negative or insulting, folks should give a thought to if it is really necessary and if it promotes or hinders forum participation.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 01:42 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Thane. I believe you misread the comment. Read it again and then maybe delete your post.
Old 09-13-2020, 02:01 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
There's nothing better than fresh bread, warm and moist from baking. But when we don't have that, we go to the other extreme and toast it... making it less fresh and somewhat dessicated, but at least it's warm once again. We humans are an odd lot! (I include myself.)

Personally, when camping I tend to take a loaf of Braum's (the local dairy store) raisin nut bread for breakfasts. Usually I eat it unwarmed and with butter. But if I have electric hookup, since I pack an electric 2-slice toaster I'll pop my bread in the toaster just long enough to get warm but not toasted. That makes the butter melt.
Hi: Mike G... A baker once told me his Dads rule of thumb was "If you can't see teeth marks... there's not enough butter on it"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:36 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Camp-A-Toaster

We were quickly frustrated with that folding Coghlans toaster too. Took forever. We tried broiling in the oven, which worked, but there had to be a better way. I brought it up with a coworker of mine who was so pleased with the Camp-A-Toaster that he gave me one.
Now we have the hang of it, we are making good toast pretty consistently. If you don't mind a little smoke flavour, it works well over a campfire too.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B007HRIYDY/...9325&camp=1789
Brookfielder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:06 PM   #18

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrewer View Post
It just makes one at a time, but this has worked well for us.

GSI Outdoors Glacier Stainless Steel Toaster
I used this on a recent long distance bike trip I did. Fantastic. Folds flat so easy to put in your saddle bags on your bike, or tuck away easily in a cupboard on your Escape.
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:26 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I seem to recall an episode of Home Improvement when Tim the Tool Man had the “boys” from K&an construction were demonstrating how the prepared meals on the job site and one of them demonstrated making a toasted cheese sandwich with a cutting torch.

Disclaimer: Please don’t do this in the campsite and definitely not inside the trailer!
Old 09-14-2020, 12:11 AM   #20

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I've never had a good stovetop toaster, but it seems from previous discussions that success depends on a substantial diffuser - not just a coarse wire rack or a single sheet of perforated metal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Wow that’s the first reference to duck eggs I’ve seen in a long time. We used to get them from my grandma when I was a kid. That orange yolk is a thing of beauty.
We had ducks for a while, so I ate a lot of duck eggs. They're essentially scaled-up chicken eggs - even the membrane is noticeably thicker.

Egg yolk flavour depends on the hen's diet, which is why free-range eggs are often better-tasting. Our ducks had a wide ranging diet (probably including frogs from the pond that they chose to nest beside), and their eggs tasted great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
... He had one old cast iron skillet and I asked him what he ate. I’ll show you he said and took me down along the creek where he ran a Canada Goose off her nest and he took one egg out. I’ll fry this for you he said.
Kind of wish I’d eaten the egg with him.
I'm guessing that a Canada Goose egg is pretty similar to a free-range Embden goose egg - we had those for a little while, too, but produced at a much lower rate. Think of the duck egg, doubled in scale again...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote