Toaster/Convection Oven? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2016, 10:00 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Toaster/Convection Oven?

Am finding it would be really nice to have one since I am on the road so much.

Went to Costco with a friend yesterday but chickened out. Already blew the fuse from my furnace so nervous about wattage and couldn't find any information on the exterior of the toaster oven boxes.

Now that my co-pilot is traveling with me (rescued a dog a month ago), am finding the 17' gets smaller by the day, so would like to get something that's not too large.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!!!
Old 01-07-2016, 10:57 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Your fuse on the furnace is 12V whereas your toaster/convection is 120v. A household appliance uses 120v, and the trailer has 15 amp 120v circuits, so you should be fine. Just find one that you feel is small enough to store, but big enough to use.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:55 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
I like my $10 thrift store toaster oven. Fits two pieces toast just fine and fits into my cupboard.

When it dies, I intend to use my small Breville oven. My guess is that the quartz heating elements will survive RV life longer than the traditional elements. I have nothing to back that up with though.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:17 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I travel with a Cruisinart TOB 155 Toaster Oven. While not a convection oven, it is large enough to cook a 12" pizza & high enough to cook a small roast or chicken. I have the convection version of the same oven (TOB 195) at home, and found that I rarely use the convection feature so I opped for the smaller, less expensive version for traveling.

They are both discontinued, however Cruisinart makes some equivalents.

I've been experimenting with a 12" Dutch Oven in a Volcano propane fired grill as a substitute for the toaster oven while dry camping with limited success. I have not mastered keeping an even temperature in the Dutch Oven when powered by the propane burner...
Old 01-07-2016, 12:24 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We purchased the Oster countertop convection oven from Costco; however, realized that even for our 19', it was a little big. So, we traded my daughter for her smaller toaster oven and have been perfectly happy with our decision. It fits nicely under the seat in the front of the trailer and works just fine for the two of us.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 03:29 PM   #6

OK, that's all new info -- 12V fuse v.s. 120V fuse? I thought a fuse was a fuse. What do I know.
So I should be looking at size and not worry about wattage, right? And would it matter if I had other appliances on the same (circuit?)? For example, refrigerator.
Thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Your fuse on the furnace is 12V whereas your toaster/convection is 120v. A household appliance uses 120v, and the trailer has 15 amp 120v circuits, so you should be fine. Just find one that you feel is small enough to store, but big enough to use.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:32 PM   #7

Sure can't beat that price!!!

So I just found a small Breville oven but it's 1800 watts. That's not too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
I like my $10 thrift store toaster oven. Fits two pieces toast just fine and fits into my cupboard.

When it dies, I intend to use my small Breville oven. My guess is that the quartz heating elements will survive RV life longer than the traditional elements. I have nothing to back that up with though.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:43 PM   #8

Hi Jon!

Unfortunately the 155 is discontinued. Oh, right, you said that!!!
But the TOB-40 is only $80 on amazon.
Thanks for the good information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I travel with a Cruisinart TOB 155 Toaster Oven. While not a convection oven, it is large enough to cook a 12" pizza & high enough to cook a small roast or chicken. I have the convection version of the same oven (TOB 195) at home, and found that I rarely use the convection feature so I opped for the smaller, less expensive version for traveling.

I've been experimenting with a 12" Dutch Oven in a Volcano propane fired grill as a substitute for the toaster oven while dry camping with limited success. I have not mastered keeping an even temperature in the Dutch Oven when powered by the propane burner...
Old 01-07-2016, 03:44 PM   #9

Good info to know, Jan - that the Oster was a bit big for the 19.
Thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
We purchased the Oster countertop convection oven from Costco; however, realized that even for our 19', it was a little big. So, we traded my daughter for her smaller toaster oven and have been perfectly happy with our decision. It fits nicely under the seat in the front of the trailer and works just fine for the two of us.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:52 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDarby View Post
Sure can't beat that price!!!

So I just found a small Breville oven but it's 1800 watts. That's not too much?
My understanding is that this is fine if you're plugged in. However if you are using the 1500w inverter option your Breville will not work. I saw that Breville too but want a toaster/convection oven that will work regardless of how we're powered. Haven't found one yet but then again we haven't camped so haven't needed it yet.

I'll be watching this thread to see what recommendations appear - thanks!
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 03:56 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
By the way, there is another thread that has input on this topic and may be of help ...

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...oven-6655.html
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 03:58 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
OK, that's all new info -- 12V fuse v.s. 120V fuse? I thought a fuse was a fuse. What do I know.
So I should be looking at size and not worry about wattage, right? And would it matter if I had other appliances on the same (circuit?)? For example, refrigerator.
Thanks!!!
1800 watts is 15 amps at 120 volts. I would strongly recommend you look for a maximum 1560 watt (13 amp) device. And you should have nothing else plugged into that circuit - which may include a number of the outlets - it depends on how YOUR trailer is wired.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 04:08 PM   #13

Hi Jill,

I didn't get the inverter so would only use when plugged in.
When I first started this journey, thought I would be dry camping 95% of the time. And here I am at a park for two months! Go figure.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
My understanding is that this is fine if you're plugged in. However if you are using the 1500w inverter option your Breville will not work. I saw that Breville too but want a toaster/convection oven that will work regardless of how we're powered. Haven't found one yet but then again we haven't camped so haven't needed it yet.

I'll be watching this thread to see what recommendations appear - thanks!
Old 01-07-2016, 04:09 PM   #14

Thank you SO MUCH! This is what I wanted to know.
And how do I determine how my trailer is wired?
Who, me a newbie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
1800 watts is 15 amps at 120 volts. I would strongly recommend you look for a maximum 1560 watt (13 amp) device. And you should have nothing else plugged into that circuit - which may include a number of the outlets - it depends on how YOUR trailer is wired.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:14 PM   #15

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Hi Ellen

We bought this one at Costco US for about $75 - KitchenAid KCO223CU Convection Countertop Oven, Contour Silver. It is probably bigger than you want. We usually came with power and at the TX RV park for six weeks last winter we kept it on top of the counter in our 5.0 unless we used it to bake or for an oven supper outside to save heating up the trailer. That freed up the cupboard space where it travels. Another problem with its size is that it takes toast forever to brown!

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 04:18 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post

Jon,
They have diffusion plates that supposedly eliminate hot spots common with cast iron cooking over a stove flame, see here Robot Check
Old 01-07-2016, 05:45 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I've used similar diffusers (although not cast iron) on my home gas stovetop. Works well for very long simmers over low heat with standard pots. I think it's success with a dutch oven might be impacted by dutch oven design, i.e., legs or no legs. I'm impressed by the dutch oven chefs who can do multiple entrees in stacked dutch ovens!
Old 01-07-2016, 05:55 PM   #18

Thanks Adrian. I could use some "heating up the trailer" right now. Mesa, AZ: 40's, 50's, rain.
My friend belongs to Costco so we may be going back there.
Speaking of toast, I've been holding the bread over the flame on the stove top. Have t'work with whatcha have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Hi Ellen

We bought this one at Costco US for about $75 - KitchenAid KCO223CU Convection Countertop Oven, Contour Silver. It is probably bigger than you want. We usually came with power and at the TX RV park for six weeks last winter we kept it on top of the counter in our 5.0 unless we used it to bake or for an oven supper outside to save heating up the trailer. That freed up the cupboard space where it travels. Another problem with its size is that it takes toast forever to brown!

Adrian
Old 01-07-2016, 05:56 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Thank you SO MUCH! This is what I wanted to know.
And how do I determine how my trailer is wired?
Who, me a newbie?
I'm taking a really wild guess that you have two separate 110 volt circuits. You can tell by looking at the panel and counting the circuit breakers. An easy way to tell which outlets belong to which circuit breaker is to turn one off and then plug in a test lamp etc. into each one. Usually the GFCI outlet on the interior also powers the exterior outlet.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:24 PM   #20

Thanks, Ron - appreciate it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I'm taking a really wild guess that you have two separate 110 volt circuits. You can tell by looking at the panel and counting the circuit breakers. An easy way to tell which outlets belong to which circuit breaker is to turn one off and then plug in a test lamp etc. into each one. Usually the GFCI outlet on the interior also powers the exterior outlet.

Ron