Toilet installation - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2021, 03:06 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Toilet installation

Has anyone cut into bath floor to install a toilet?
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 03:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Are you talking about an Escape trailer? In an Escape, the black tank is on top of the floor and the toilet sits on top of that - the toilet is not installed to or through the floor.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 08:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
Has anyone cut into bath floor to install a toilet?
I saw an escape for sale that had the toilet omitted from the build and was wondering about installing one. I guess I was assuming that the black tank was under the floor.
One would still have to run the black tank drain down and out, correct?
Thanks
Old 06-06-2021, 09:08 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
It might help to provide the model of Escape you are looking at. The year would be good but not essential. The toilet is elevated with the black tank underneath, then the internal plumbing runs to the outside discharge. This is true in most models. Water supply is all on the inside. Having produced 5 different models of Escape Trailers there are differences from what I describe. Thus the model becomes critical.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 11:24 AM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
The customer-spec 2021 5.0 listed here on ETI's website is described as "No toilet (black tank has not been deleted)" and there's a pic showing the toilet platform with no penetrations whatsoever.

As described by Brian B-P the black tank is located directly under that raised platform seen in in the bath pic, above the floor of the trailer itself.

Methinks that's a bit of a unicorn and direct inquiry with the seller and/or ETI is in order to determine exactly what one is dealing with (e.g. is there a 'hub/fitting' for the toilet drain pipe in the top of the black tank, is the black tank vent riser and vent above the roof installed, is all of the black tank drain pipe and valve in place, etc, etc?). Then there's the questions which must be asked relating to the required toilet fresh-water supply. One could make some assumptions but they'd be only that, hopefully someone at ETI knows the detail facts for this particular trailer.

With a black tank present one must think that it's possible to install a toilet, the question becomes the amount of effort and $ to make that happen and that's apparently what the OP is pursuing (kudos). I've not run across a similar situation on this forum upon which to build, but maybe someone has a link for such.

Good Luck, it's an interesting trailer value for the right buyer IMO.

Edit - FYI of the OP attached is a pic of a late 2018 5.0 in-build showing the black tank before the bath module is installed (the black tank continues forward of the bath module under the footprint of the wardrobe cabinet at the foot of the bed / left of the stairs looking forward)
Attached Thumbnails
Build 02a Black Tank Detail.jpg  
Old 06-07-2021, 08:48 AM   #6

Thanks for that. It’ was helpful to see the location of the black tank. The trailer in question was a fifth wheel.
Old 06-07-2021, 02:25 PM   #7

Quote:
I saw an escape for sale that had the toilet omitted from the build and was wondering about installing one.
That makes sense.

Quote:
I guess I was assuming that the black tank was under the floor.
One would still have to run the black tank drain down and out, correct?
Yes, the drain for the black tank goes through the floor and rearward to meet the grey waste drain. Details of the routing depend on model, since the bathroom isn't placed the same way in all of them.

There's a difference between an Escape model that had no bathroom (the 17A), and one that had the toilet omitted but still has the stock bathroom (most models have a bathroom with toilet, shower, and sink as standard equipment).

If it is just the toilet that was omitted, then hopefully the fiberglass shell that forms the interior of the bathroom (so it can also act as a shower) is there in stock form; as already explained, the black tank goes under the step up in the floor, and extends into the adjacent cabinet (which is a seat base, under a closet, or the bed... depending on model). If it is the 5.0 that Alan (Centex) mentioned, or anything similar, he has covered the situation well. Issues such as vents are important, and as you can see access to the black tank area if you have to install one could be a major project.
Old 06-07-2021, 02:31 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
17A has no bath, no toilet. 17B has both.
Old 06-07-2021, 02:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
17A has no bath, no toilet. 17B has both.
Oops, brain fade.
Thanks - I fixed that in my earlier post.
Time to finish my coffee...
Old 06-07-2021, 09:44 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
The opposite question, has anyone converted to a composting toilet ?
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 10:05 AM   #11

Trailer: 2021 21C
To answer the OP's question, I had the unfortunate experience of installing a toilet in our 21C. We ordered it without toilet, but built out to the flange. We wanted an upgraded model of toilet that I would install. I suppose in their haste, the build sheet instructions were misinterpreted and there was no flange installed. I'm guessing the Production folks assumed we were going to add a composting toilet.

To make a long and somewhat unpleasant story short, with Dustin's help I completed the installation. He sent the flange and the proper adhesive and sealant and some (originally incomplete) instructions. Using a hole saw, jig saw and some muscle the flange got installed and thereafter the toilet.

If all the parts are there other than the flange, and the OP ends up purchasing the trailer, I'm happy to flesh out the installation instructions and post the relevant photos.

2021 21C "Travels with Karma"
GMC Canyon Denali Turbodiesel Long-bed
DWM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 07:45 PM   #12

Thanks to all who stepped up with info. All good stuff.