Toilet Supply Line Replacement Help - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2020, 12:47 AM   #1

Trailer: 2016 19 (sold)
Toilet Supply Line Replacement Help

This evening our water supply line to the toilet split open under pressure (water pump was already on, and this happened shortly after turning on the water heater). I'm no plumbing genius but would like to replace the hose myself if possible, so I have some questions:

(1) Anyone have a link to the appropriate replacement hose (or a better hose)?
(2) What other parts or tools might be needed to replace this line? What kind of fitting is that brass ring?
(3) Do I need to pull the toilet to do this (i.e., how difficult is this going to be)?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. This is a 2016 19.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6812.JPG   IMG_6811.JPG  
canyonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:27 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
I had the same problem on my previous 19. I took it to an RV repair shop. As I recall, they had to pull to toilet to replace the line. Not something I wanted to tackle myself.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:46 AM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Not an easy DYI fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonrider View Post
This evening our water supply line to the toilet split open under pressure (water pump was already on, and this happened shortly after turning on the water heater). I'm no plumbing genius but would like to replace the hose myself if possible, so I have some questions:

(2) What other parts or tools might be needed to replace this line? What kind of fitting is that brass ring?
(3) Do I need to pull the toilet to do this (i.e., how difficult is this going to be)?

As the hose in the photo shows, it's a crimp band fastener on the tubing. You'd have to cobble some adapter for any DYI replacement. Removing the toilet is no big thing in my opinion, but replacing the hose looks to be problematic. The cost of a crimp tool for the band fastener is prohibitive for a one-off job, band clamps do not provide 360 degree compression, blah, blah.

An RV shop would have the crimp tool. Save some labor $$ and remove the stool, take your rig in to a shop, they crimp and you install the stool on your own. Just a possibility suggestion there.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:53 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If I recall someone replaced their plastic hose with a reinforced stainless supply hose...planning on the long term.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:

Not familiar with your setup . But what I did was going to a real plumbing store for help and materials ,and cut the plex line , how ours was installed , maybe yours is to other side of wall , the plex water line . Installed a shark bite fitting that had a end to screw on a stainless line to toilet . Removing the toilet is real easy 2 nuts then it is off . Would suggest you get another foam doughnut when you reinstall toilet. Mine didn’t leak but wanted to change before . That was years ago . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Not familiar with your setup . But what I did was going to a real plumbing store for help and materials ,and cut the plex line , how ours was installed , maybe yours is to other side of wall , the plex water line . Installed a shark bite fitting that had a end to screw on a stainless line to toilet . Removing the toilet is real easy 2 nuts then it is off . Would suggest you get another foam doughnut when you reinstall toilet. Mine didn’t leak but wanted to change before . That was years ago . Pat
On the forum in my picture album have pictures of my installation
Old 07-09-2020, 12:56 PM   #7

Quote:
On the forum in my picture album have pictures of my installation
I just went through your thread and could not find the pictures. I was going to copy them to this thread.
Old 07-09-2020, 01:01 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
For years and years all I ever used with that type of hose was your basic hose clamp. Warm the hose, tighten down and they did just fine.

The hose is the same as the hose from the water pump. I used hose clamps to install an accumulator. Warming the hose gives a better clamping action.

I use pex now for most plumbing jobs but it's not worth investing in either type of crimp rings if you don't do much plumbing.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0016_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 01:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I just went through your thread and could not find the pictures. I was going to copy them to this thread.
Jim you go to community at top , members , we are in 3 rd page scroll down get into my member page on right side are my some of my pictures I. Albums need to straighten it out but look at all my albums and there are some from toilet line fix . No tools except sprinkler pvc cutter to cut plex . Pat
Also used a shutoff valve on the shark bite then stainless line to toilet . It has been so long forgot some of the materials . My plex was so short my shutoff etc are in bath . Pat
Old 07-09-2020, 01:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Jim you go to community at top , members , we are in 3 rd page scroll down get into my member page on right side are my some of my pictures I. Albums need to straighten it out but look at all my albums and there are some from toilet line fix . No tools except sprinkler pvc cutter to cut plex . Pat
Also used a shutoff valve on the shark bite then stainless line to toilet . It has been so long forgot some of the materials . My plex was so short my shutoff etc are in bath . Pat
Yes, I click on your name, takes me to your page and there are 2 albums, latest mods and newer mods, viewed each album and could not find toilet repair, sorry
Old 07-09-2020, 02:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Yes, I click on your name, takes me to your page and there are 2 albums, latest mods and newer mods, viewed each album and could not find toilet repair, sorry
Jim below the 2 albums it says all albums there are more and the toilet mod is in there Pat
Old 07-09-2020, 02:15 PM   #12

Got it, thanks
Attached Thumbnails
user2135_pic2073_1469035380.jpg   user2135_pic2072_1469035380.jpg   user2135_pic2071_1469035234.jpg  
Old 07-09-2020, 03:15 PM   #13

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
I would get rid of that vinyl line altogether and follow Pat's lead. Removing the toilet is easy. Pop the plastic caps off each side near the floor and remove the nuts on the closet bolts. You will need to scope out the other side of the wall under the drivers side dinette seat. If the pex line is there you can cut it back with pipe cutter, slide on SharkBite shutoff valve to avoid crimping, remove existing plastic fitting through bath wall, feed a new stainless braid line from the bath side and connect to new valve. Connect other side to toilet and reinstall toilet. Put some new caulk around line through bath wall if needed. You'll never need to worry about it again. (You might note that our shutoff valve has crimp ring. This is not the SharkBite style. Was there when we bought the trailer)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Apollo-1...C001/301573771

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBit...00LF/202270613

https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Plum...7413/313765621
Attached Thumbnails
SS flex line.jpg  
Old 07-09-2020, 03:27 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
There is a less expensive crimping tool that is designed to work with PEX that uses cinch clamps rather than rings.

It has the added advantage that the tool does not need to surround the PEX, so in tight quarters, it may be easier to use than the standard ring tool.

I carry one and a b unchecking of 1/2" clamps in my seldom used tool box and have used it in the field twice, as well as to repair a motorcycle gas line.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:43 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Another version. Regardless which side of the wall, adding the cut off valve is essential.

(Found pex cutter in Salvation Army store but had to borrow pex crimper from a neighbor.)
Attached Thumbnails
ToiletV3.jpg  
Old 07-09-2020, 06:33 PM   #16

Trailer: 2016 19 (sold)
I really appreciate these replies, seems as though there are a couple of ways to tackle this. Attached is a picture of behind our bathroom wall (earlier photos show where it daylights in the bathroom). So it seems like cutting the blue PEX line and add the shutoff valve there may be the way to go. rubicon327, will that stainless line that you linked screw right on to the toilet valve?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6815.JPG  
canyonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:37 PM   #17

That location is exactly where the factory installs the optional toilet shutoff valve, under the driver dinette seat over the black tank plywood.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:51 PM   #18

Quote:
I really appreciate these replies, seems as though there are a couple of ways to tackle this. Attached is a picture of behind our bathroom wall (earlier photos show where it daylights in the bathroom). So it seems like cutting the blue PEX line and add the shutoff valve there may be the way to go. rubicon327, will that stainless line that you linked screw right on to the toilet valve?
If you look at my pictures Jim posted for me yes . On the plex one end you screw your shut off .on the shut off you screw the stainless line . I went to our plumbing supply told her what I needed to do in my RV , within a couple minutes she had everything I needed and how to do it , simple . No special tools or cutters , who doesn’t have a pvc cutter for doing sprinklers ? That is how you cut the plex , you want a straight cut for the shark bite . Love them and you aren’t going to have water pressure like your home . I also cut both my plex hot and cold under kitchen sink added shark bites to add a pull out facet for kitchen almost 2 years ago . Pat
Old 07-09-2020, 09:32 PM   #19

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
rubicon327, will that stainless line that you linked screw right on to the toilet valve?
Yes. Just make sure you get the right length. 12” might be too close. 16” probably better.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Got it, thanks
Thanks Jim for posting my pics . Pat