tongue coupler problem - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2020, 07:19 AM   #81

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Last night while looking at Bulldog couplers on the web I decided to search for Ram trailer couplers . Found them on sale for as low as $12.99 USD
Not sure if it’s the one Escape uses but appeared to be the same
A Bulldog coupler is 5 times more expensive, or a 500% increase in cost or $50 more
All depends how you want to look at it !!
Your point is taken that the RAM coupler is inferior to others available. Not sure where you found it but it is unlikely you can buy the one Escape uses on its trailers for $13 retail (even on sale).
Old 02-01-2020, 08:35 AM   #82

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Your point is taken that the RAM coupler is inferior to others available. Not sure where you found it but it is unlikely you can buy the one Escape uses on its trailers for $13 retail (even on sale).
My point was that businesses try to cut cost which often results in problems for the end consumer and result in very little real savings .
In this case to go from a Ram coupler (($15) to a Bulldog coupler ($75) is an increase in cost of 500% or a 5 times increase so it seems excessive
In essence the increase in cost is around $50 out of a total product cost. of almost $40,000
Doesn’t sound so bad does it ?
It’s sorta the same logic GM used trying to justify its 88 cent ignition switch
I would gladly pay $50 upfront and avoid the aggravation vs $300 to $400 down the road

All I know for sure is that all the equipment & utility trailers at my place of employment had Bulldog couplers and we did not have the issues people are having with the Ram couplers
Our Ram hitch often will not release when trying to unhook so I need to help it along with a pry bar , not a big deal but it does not inspire much confidence in the integrity of the hitch.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote