Tongue weights - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2017, 07:44 AM   #101

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post

Some people have a very light load and can use a Highlander when others cannot. We use a 4Runner. While both claim a 5,000 towing capacity, the Highlander has less than 10,000 for its GCWR whereas the 4Runner has 11,300. That is a whopping big difference.
According to Toyota's Highlander manual, the V6 AWD 2017 Highlander's GCWR is 11,000#

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:37 AM   #102

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
According to Toyota's Highlander manual, the V6 AWD 2017 Highlander's GCWR is 11,000#
I do not know if they have changed that number or if it is only for the AWD. I know that I had looked up a Highlander at different times and found less than 10,000. Good to know that that 11,000 is what you have. So I hope people will pay attention to which model and I will stand corrected for at least that model. That is a good vehicle for many to use then, the AWD.

As I was mentioning before, there was a claim by a person with experts concurring that a front-wheel with towing package could not do the towing of 5,000 and was having big trouble. When an expert sent questions repeatedly to the manufacturer, they were never answered even though expected to be answered easily on at least some of it. The owner lost several thousand dollars, having to get rid of his trailer on finding out the situation in actual use. Again, however, I could not tell from the information given whether the car was insufficient for sure because it needed a little more confirmation info, for me, anyway.

And you say that you have pulled over mountains and more and no problems. That person was basically told not to go any distance with his set-up or he would ruin the transmission.

So I stand corrected and the Highlander is showing a GCWR of 11,000, for the AWD anyway. There have been several models of Highlanders and of course, some were definitely not suitable for towing a 21' or even 19' and I expect that that is still the case. But at least one is suitable, according to what they are saying, and your use. Thank you for posting that.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:09 AM   #103

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Manufacturers change these ratings all the time. That is why when people say " can I tow trailer x with vehicle y" it is always best for them to find the exact weight and tow ratings of that exact vehicle because it varies between models of the same year and also changes year to year.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote