Tool / Emergency Kit - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2015, 05:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 - 21'
Tool / Emergency Kit

Hello.

We have been reading different threads, about people with different problems or issues with their trailers.

Almost all issues come to a positive solution; however, at times it appears that you must have the right tools and equipment to make the proper repairs.

I would like to put a "tool / repair kit" together, before we pick up our trailer in a few months.

If you don't mind, could you please put together a list of things that you carry, that would help to take care of most problems that you (we) might encounter?

In gathering everyone's information and ideas, I can put a kit together and have the proper tools on hand for any future problems...?

Thank you for your time, thoughts and suggestions...

paulschram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
There are threads that address this, but I would say it depends on what types of repairs you are comfortable making. My "repair kit" includes a rather expensive Viair 12v compressor, a set of combination wrenches and socket wrenches, pliers, magnetic tip screwdriver with a bunch of bits including Robertson, an ohm meter, wire cutter/stripper, and an assortment of wire, crimp terminal, bolts, nuts, and screws. In addition, I have an assortment of spare fuses. I also have a torque wrench and electrical tape. And of course a roll of gaffer's tape, essential for making any multitude of temporary repairs.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:02 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Ltd Edition 15B (1 of 47)
You may want to pack some 7 strand 550 paracord. A multi-tool (like a Leatherman) is helpful as well.
Washingtonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:12 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I take a zero balance AMEX card. Truly.

Okay, so my small tool box also has fuses, electrical tape, yadda, yadda, yadda.

But that card is what would probably save my bacon if I'm on the road.. new tires for instance... for tug or tow.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:19 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Rather than combination wrenches I use an adjustable wrench, definite need a Robertson, there are 2 sizes in the Escape, phillips and slotted screwdrivers, a micro screwdriver set for the tiny screws you will find in appliances, a set of hex wrenches particularly if you have a tv, 5/10/15/20/30 amp spare fuses, a spare wedge type bulb for the license plate light, the only one you may need to avoid a ticket, black electrical tape, pliers, a multimeter and instructions for use, continuity tester, 120v circuit tester, batteries, pocket knife.
Also be sure and pack all your manuals for the trailer and appliances, do not leave these at home.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:28 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Add flashlights and batteries and emergency warning triangles.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:17 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I agree that for many problems, there is some combination of parts and services which can be purchased, so the only tool needed is a way to pay. At least for those traveling in Canada, I would not suggest an Amex card, as it is accepted by far fewer businesses than either Visa or MasterCard... especially outside of the travel and entertainment (that is, hotels / restaurants / bars/ theatres) field.

Another challenge is getting to someone who can be paid to fix the problem. I've been in lots of places on highways were there is no mobile network coverage, so if you have a side-of-the-road issue, you need some way to limp to a place where you can call for paid help (unless, of course, you have a satellite phone ) and hope that someone is willing to come to where you are. If the problem is strictly with the trailer, it can be left at the roadside for the drive to "civilization", but I would not be entirely comfortable doing that.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:25 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I carry basic stuff with me, mostly in the storage drawers in the back of my FJ, but also a small amount of stuff in the front drivers side hatch on my 19'. Some of this stuff includes:

- 1/2" and 3/8" socket set
- wrenches
- plier, screw drivers
- duct tape, electrical tape
- silicone spray
- WD40 spray
- Lithium grease
- a few bolts, screws and other hardware
- tie down ropes and bungie cords
- Bug and tar remover
- Rags

I won't be able to do any major repairs on the go, but do have the capability of tightening a few loose screws, replacing a bulb, or even cleaning the bugs off my bumper.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:46 AM   #9

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
I always include a hydraulic bottle jack and a 24" breaker bar and a 13/16" deep socket for wheel changes (perish the thought). Your knuckles will thank you. You can get them individually at Harbor Freight or Canadian Tire among other places, usually in the discount area.

Mark
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 01:10 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 - 21'
Thank you for the responses.
paulschram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 01:43 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
I'd add a couple cans of "Fix-A-Flat" or a similar brand. The Green Slime type can be added before a flat ... just in case ... I think.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:49 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Careful where you store "Fix-a-Flat". I had a can go off in a duffel bag full of tools. Cleaned some of them and threw the rest away along with the bag.
I've heard also that you won't be popular at the tire shop if you've used it.

My mechanic advised to carry a couple dry-wall screws. They are threaded all the way to the head so you can use one as a temporary plug.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:39 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
I'd add a couple cans of "Fix-A-Flat" or a similar brand. The Green Slime type can be added before a flat ... just in case ... I think.
I will never use Slime again. I used a can on a Harley front tire once and it corroded the wheel so badly I had to replace the wheel. It was an alloy wheel and it wasn't exactly inexpensive.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:02 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I've heard of tire repair shops charging more to fix flat tires when they're loaded with Green Slime. It's messy stuff to remove and complicates the repair.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:07 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
If added to an operable tire, it will create a lump inside that causes an out-of-balance tire/wheel assembly.

When you're tired of the shaking and vibration, you get to throw the tire and wheel away to solve the problem.

Having tried to clean a trailer wheel, after a well-intentioned friend used Slime to fix a flat, I can safety say to all who will listen: "Don't use it."
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:02 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
I just carry some plugs and insert tool along with a compressor for flat repairs.

Cheers
Doug
Old 03-26-2015, 04:02 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
I stand corrected ..... do not use Green Slime

However, a couple cans of "Fix-A-Flat" may be the difference between leaving your trailer by the side of the road and getting to a tire service station. It does really stink when the tire is removed. Emergency use only.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:51 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
starving hyena

That was very admirable to recognize that you were outnumbered on Green Slim and change your opinion. Green Slime brings to mind a story, I once rented a road bike from a shop in Scottsville AZ, I was overwhelmed at the check out counter by all the displayed bottles of Green Slime, some were two quart size and in a bike shop. I asked why the two quart size? "Because we can't get it 55 gallon drums was the reply"

Not being native I had no idea of the effect thorns had on bike tires.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:11 PM   #19

Trailer: not yet
A non-tool addition, but one that should be considered when using tools:

Some sort of work gloves to protect your hands. Maybe even eye protection, especially if you think you might have a reason to get anywhere near your battery(s) while a tool is in your hands. (or a metal flashlight!)

My work place has embraced safety compliance, such as wearing PPE (personal protection equipment), safe practices, etc. They encourage use of PPE while "at home" also, by letting us "appropriate" extra gloves and safety glasses, etc, for home projects, figuring if we get to using them at home we'll use them at work. I've got some nice, thin, anti-cut gloves that have made skinned knuckles a thing of the past, and there's no way I'll ever again willingly get grease and oil worked into my skin, as there are good nitrile gloves to wear around that sort of stuff. And who wants to smell like WD-40?

Safety glasses are available with "cheaters" built in, and they work well enough that mostly that's what I use both on site and at home.

A couple pairs of gloves and some safety glasses don't take up much space.
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:12 PM   #20

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I keep my " inreach" two way sattelite transponder with me . I orignally bought for back country hiking but have been bringing with us on road trips as well . There are lots places we travell with little to no cell coverage.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote