Tools??? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2020, 11:01 AM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
yeah, my only impact driver is an air tool, and gets used mostly for busting loose one inch+ rusty bolts on my 1948 tractor. the drill-driver I bring is a light weight ryobi 18V lithium. its no noisier than half the slide-outs on the SunBlocker 2000's.

and yes, I can feel when the bal stabilizers are getting a little crunchy, and they get a shot of lithium grease when I get home.

when I'm dropping the stabilizers, its often after a long day of driving, I just wanna get the trailer setup so I can drop into my lounger and enjoy a nice cold beverage.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 12:30 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
my drill driver is one of those 2-speed styles with the ratchet 'clutch', I leave that clutch set so it ratchets before cranking down too hard.
with my knees and back, bending down to use the hand crank for minutes per jack is painful.
I'm committed to the Ryobi 18+ tools and every time I replace a tool I get the new one from this line. I was waiting for a cheap Ryobi 18+ drill and scored one for $49 to put in the setup box. (included a battery and charger at that price!)

Just used it to lower and raise stabs on last trip and oh my, what a difference. I have a blown out shoulder, bad arthritis, etc. and using the drill and socket was a fantastic help on this task. The lithium battery lasted the whole trip and probably will go several trips before needing charging.

I keep the stab threads maintained regularly so they don't squeak, and any noise from the drill I doubt anyone could even hear at the next sites. Lots of worse sounds that come out of neighboring camp sites.....
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 01:33 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I'm committed to the Ryobi 18+ tools and every time I replace a tool I get the new one from this line. I was waiting for a cheap Ryobi 18+ drill and scored one for $49 to put in the setup box. (included a battery and charger at that price!)
Me too. I already had an 18V Ryobi drill. Then Home Depot had a special in their flyer for the 18+ drill, impact drill, skill saw, reciprocating saw, charger and two batteries for 99 bucks. The night before I scouted out the store, asked staff where the specials would be. At opening time I was one of the first in the door. Streaked down the main aisle about to turn down the side aisle and heard someone make a comment like here they are. Wielded around and there they were! all 6 of them.

What a deal. Then a person was giving the skill saw from the set away and I scored that too. So now I have one with a "good" blade and one for hacking through crap.

I just used my impact drill to put a tire back on. Hardly made a sound because the studs were wire brushed and clean. No, I didn't oil them. But it's the folks who use impact drills regardless. When the threads are dirty they do make a racket. Don't think that some folks understand the message the drill's giving them.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 02:29 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
I bought a cheap craftsman 12 volt drill just for the stabiles, adjust the clutch it’s a no brainer. I’m old but smarter.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 04:07 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
I bought a cheap craftsman 12 volt drill just for the stabiles, adjust the clutch it’s a no brainer. I’m old but smarter.
Older bud wiser......
Attached Thumbnails
s-l1600.jpg  
Old 11-20-2020, 04:09 PM   #26

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I might have a screwdriver in the trailer but not a whole lot more for tools. I do have some tools in the 4Runner that are always there, so there really is no need for anything more in the trailer. Why put on more weight if you don't have to?

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:46 PM   #27

Trailer: pending
a quick comment on jumper cables. The cables are only half the problem these days. Any newer vehicle usually has some weird terminal in the fuse box setup under the hood for jumping YOUR vehicle and many owners manuals tell you NOT to jump another vehicle from yours.
Now if you are lucky/dumb enough to have a hybrid, it becomes a whole new world. I had to have my Outlander PHEV hybrid jumped by the CAA a couple of weeks ago and while the truck driver was a great and knowledgeable guy, he readily admitted that he learnt something from my car. He had no idea how to jump it. I now carry the power pack that was in the basement for years in the car regularly. Hard to believe that a car packing a 4 Kw drive battery would ever need a jump but if the so called "auxiliary battery" is dead, the whole car is useless. Can not even unlock the doors !
Dee Lirious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:12 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Absolutely. The difference in time saving is negligible. And if an extra couple of minutes is that important, are we really on holiday.

I absolutely hate hearing folks use an impact drill. And it disguises stabilizers that are long overdue for service. Turning them manually you can feel when the lead screw is caked with crud and they need cleaning.

Full disclosure: I use both. I carry my non-impact drill in one hand and the crank in the other. I use the drill as a fast up or down, but don't put a load on it. If the stabilizer lead screw needs service you can feel the drill wanting to rotate. An impact drill will whack away and force it to move. Not good.

I finish manually which gives me much better feedback on how much load I'm putting on the stabilizers.

Impact drills, hate em.

Ron
Just got my Makita impact back in now week total . They even sent me paid fedex label . A bit broke in the tool when I was using on my shell drawers mod . Still under their 3 year warranty . All fixed and mailed free . Great customer service and means a lot to me . Love the impact and it has it’s place and also have their drill . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:13 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Not so wise, just ask my girl friend. But a little smarter
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:00 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Still under their 3 year warranty . All fixed and mailed free . Great customer service and means a lot to me . Love the impact and it has it’s place and also have their drill . Pat
That is good customer service. A commodity that seems to be getting quite rare these days.

Ron
Old 11-20-2020, 10:09 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Me too. I already had an 18V Ryobi drill. Then Home Depot had a special in their flyer for the 18+ drill, impact drill, skill saw, reciprocating saw, charger and two batteries for 99 bucks. The night before I scouted out the store, asked staff where the specials would be. At opening time I was one of the first in the door. Streaked down the main aisle about to turn down the side aisle and heard someone make a comment like here they are. Wielded around and there they were! all 6 of them.

Ron
Screaming deal, Ron!
When they run the blowout deals on these tools I get right over to the store cause as you found they don’t have many and they go quick.
I picked up the Impact wrench about a month ago and now I can work on my cars again. No longer was able to bust torqued nuts off with breaker bars, now they come right off with squeeze on the trigger. Great stuff.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 11:45 AM   #32

It was a screaming deal and I haven't seen that offer since. The closest that they've come to it was minus their version of a sawall with a light instead. Since I already had a couple of lights sitting unused on the shelf I'm glad they included the sawall instead. Never had one before and it's very handy.

Also love the little skilsaw. Over the years I've wished many time that I had one that size, especially when you're standing on a ladder reaching out.

Ron
Old 11-21-2020, 03:50 PM   #33

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Just remembered two other tools I was glad I had, a spare scissors jack and a spare 1 ton hydraulic jack. Years ago we were on the interstate in Indiana at night when we hit a serious seam in the road. It happened going up a slight grade, where there was some resurfacing being done. We dehitched. The tongue got nested in the safety chains.

Chocked the wheels but could not lift the trailer up off the chains to re-hitch. The trailer tongue jack would not work. The only thing that saved us was my two extra spare jacks. Never leave home without 'em because in the end, it's just you out there, baby.
Old 11-21-2020, 07:07 PM   #34

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Just remembered two other tools I was glad I had, a spare scissors jack and a spare 1 ton hydraulic jack. Years ago we were on the interstate in Indiana at night when we hit a serious seam in the road. It happened going up a slight grade, where there was some resurfacing being done. We dehitched. The tongue got nested in the safety chains.

Chocked the wheels but could not lift the trailer up off the chains to re-hitch. The trailer tongue jack would not work. The only thing that saved us was my two extra spare jacks. Never leave home without 'em because in the end, it's just you out there, baby.
Glad you were alright Myron ! Must of been pretty scary ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:36 AM   #35

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndNeitherDoI View Post
Having a cordless drill with socket drive to put down and bring up the stabilizers has been the most help for me. Saves me at least 10 minutes each time I use it and a whole lotta frustration.
I too saw this and wondered how you can save 10 minutes on a 2 minute job.

I do only have two on my 5.0TA, and if I go real slow doing it manually, it can take up to a minute. Besides, the exercise does me good.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:15 AM   #36
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I do only have two on my 5.0TA, and if I go real slow doing it manually, it can take up to a minute. Besides, the exercise does me good.
Isn't that the truth! Use it or lose it becomes more apparent the older I get. I plan to use it for a long as I can. NOW is not the time for me to cut back on any exercise my body can get. When the time comes, I'm not opposed to using products that extend my quality of life. But thankfully, now is not the time.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:39 AM   #37

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Tooling around.

Hi: All... I carry a small box of "Paddy o tools". If the job is bigger than they are... I'm not doing it!!! I always carry my CAA/AAA RV Plus card too. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote