Tow vehicle hatch hitting trailer jack? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2019, 11:29 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Tow vehicle hatch hitting trailer jack?

Does anyone have a problem with the rear hatch of their SUV tow vehicle (such as a pathfinder, a highlander, or a Santa Fe) hitting the top of the trailer jack when the trailer is hooked up? I am trying to decide between the power jack and the regular jack, but fear the hatch will hit the power jack. Does the regular jack sit lower? Anyone have this issue? Thanks.
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:39 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
does it just clip it? using a longer tow bar will give you more clearance. I need a 12" tow bar on my F250 so the tailgate will clear the jack. thats extreme, and I wouldn't suggest one that long on a crossover SUV as the longer tow bar increases the impact of tongue weight and somewhat decreases stability... these things aren't a problem with my F250 since it can handle 1200 lbs+ of tongue weight and is as stable as an express locomotive on the main line
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:43 AM   #3

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
does it just clip it? using a longer tow bar will give you more clearance. I need a 12" tow bar on my F250 so the tailgate will clear the jack. thats extreme, and I wouldn't suggest one that long on a crossover SUV as the longer tow bar increases the impact of tongue weight and somewhat decreases stability... these things aren't a problem with my F250 since it can handle 1200 lbs+ of tongue weight and is as stable as an express locomotive on the main line
I have a F250 also, 2002 7.3l diesel 340K. My tailgate clears the power jack by about .25in. I have the pro series ETI installed WDH. I've not measured it but I don't think it's 12"
Old 09-06-2019, 06:16 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There is a removable jack accessory you can purchase to eliminate clearance issues. I have used one several years https://jack-e-up.com
Old 09-06-2019, 08:14 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
The tailgate on the 2018 Highlander clears the power jack on the 2013 Highlander by about an inch when coupled by an Anderson WDH as long as the combination is reasonably aligned and reasonably level.
Jackknifed short, I don’t think it would clear or if parked on a dip. The 2012 Highlander with the 2010 19’ would not always clear the Pro-Tow WDH with the manual crank but
Usually would if parked on a campsite and leveled for camping. Hope this helps
Iowa Dave
Old 09-06-2019, 09:23 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
One of the advantages of the Pro Series or "equalizer"(as ETI calls it) WDH is that the ball is 2.5" farther away from tailgate. That allows me to open even at angles. I remember having to be square with the Andersen and it was a pain.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:20 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I have a 2018 Highlander with an E2 WDH and the power jack. As Dave says, the wdh means the trailer is a little farther back, and the height of the power jack isn't a problem.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:27 AM   #8

Thanks all - good info! I backed my Santa Fe SUV up to a 2017 E19 and tried it. The hitch hits the power tongue jack by about 6 inches. I wonder if a manual crank would be closer to the ground?
Old 09-06-2019, 03:00 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
One can also buy shorter electric jacks if that would help. I had ETI put a shorter one on my 21. Shorter stroke on the lift, though - jack sticks up about 4-5 inches less.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
One can also buy shorter electric jacks if that would help. I had ETI put a shorter one on my 21. Shorter stroke on the lift, though - jack sticks up about 4-5 inches less.
This is great info - likely what I will pursue with ETI. Thanks!