Trailer 7 way plug problem - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2020, 07:24 AM   #61

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
Quote:
Originally Posted by citabria90 View Post
Exactly! Look for a protruding tab on the inside of the spring-loaded cover and make sure that it engages the plug. This will hold the plug firmly in place without any need for any rubber bands, tape, hair ties, etc.

Chuck
Yes the protruding tab engages and holds the plug in place, at least for the first few years. I think mine gradually got looser from wear over time. Now a single wrap of black electrical tape around the plug is required to make the plug stay firmly in place, with the protruding tab engaged in the spring loaded cover.
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 01:01 PM   #62

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, Prior 2013 E19
Following is an update on my Pollack plug experience.

I received the Pollack plug from Amazon.

I can see that the contacts of the Pollack extend farther out in the center and the other 6 are closer to the edge of the plug. What is not obvious is that the Pollack inserts about an additional 1/16” into the outlet on the truck due to that “bump” being a little farther back on the Pollack.

Before attaching the Pollack plug to the ETI connector cable I did a simple test and inserted it into my truck’s outlet. It fits more snugly into the outlet than the original ETI plug.

I was concerned about changing both the plug and connector cable assuming that my 2019 ETI 21 was like my 2013 ETI 19 where the junction box was inside the trailer. But after following the wire I found the junction box outside the trailer on the frame near the front. Relieved that if this doesn’t work I would be able to change the connector cable/plug without having to cut and replace the bottom insulation.

My next concern was about wiring the Pollack plug. So I opened the junction box and saw that at least the wiring color scheme matched the standard I found at etrailer.
https://www.etrailer.com/question-88575.html

To be more certain about the wiring scheme, I cut off the original ETI plug, dissected it, and sure enough it followed the same wiring scheme. Then there was no turning back at this point.

I disconnected the trailer batteries.

I wired the Pollack plug to the ETI connector cable. Reconnected the trailer batteries. Feeling confident at this point I plugged it into my truck’s outlet and ran tests to make sure the lights and brakes worked correctly. All work fine.

If anyone is wondering why I disconnected the trailer batteries, it’s because even with the battery switch turned off there is still power to the connector cable as well as to the power jack.

My only issue now is that there is no place to go due to the COVID-19 closures. So a good road test is yet to be done.
DenverRTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:31 PM   #63

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Nice report, we will wait for the road test. Stay safe and healthy.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 07:15 AM   #64

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverRTC View Post
Before attaching the Pollack plug to the ETI connector cable I did a simple test and inserted it into my truck’s outlet. It fits more snugly into the outlet than the original ETI plug.
Quote:
Originally Posted by casejh View Post
Months ago I would get the ding, ding, ding also. I put one wrap of electrical tape around the plug and stuck it back in, thinking I will figure out what to do next. But so far that has it 100% cured so I haven't tried anything else.
Over the years I've found some plugs fit "more snugly" than others. I've also wrapped a couple of layers of electrical tape and had that fix the problem. It's a lot cheaper and a quicker fix than installing a new plug/wiring.

Another thought: We have a 5.0 and installed the plug receiver over the wheel well in the bed of the pickup. We have tie-downs in each corner of the bed about 15" off the ground. I have a long bungee that goes from the front to the back tie-down to hold our 13# LP tank upright. We had the plug lose continuity a couple of times. The bungee went over the top of the plug, so I just lowered the bungee so it supported the plug and the plug has yet to lose continuity.

Since the plug drops down slightly when connected it could be the top connections losing continuity, so either wrapping tape or supporting the plug sometimes is all that's needed.

Food for thought!

Perry
Old 04-11-2020, 05:04 PM   #65

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
DeverRTC,
Did you seal the plug with Silicone.

Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:18 PM   #66

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, Prior 2013 E19
Finally tested

I can finally complete my experience with the Pollack connector that I installed on our ETI 2019 21 this past spring.

We have been on the road for about 2 weeks traveling from Denver, CO and now in Harrington, Maine. We did not get any “bing, bing, bing” and no messages about checking the trailer wiring.

The trailer wire was plugged into the truck’s socket in as simple a fashion as possible. No special clips. No velcro wraps. No wire ties. No sealants. Just simply plugged in after each stay along the way. Based on this trip so far I expect it to be that way from now on.

Just some added FYI’s. Before leaving Denver we stocked up on food and such, we isolated ourselves for several weeks and we had the Covid test with negative results. We continue to keep a significant distance from others, wear our masks and wear one-use gloves at service stations and other places where touch can’t be avoided.

Now we need to get through Isais tonight so we can do our pelagic bird trip later this week.
DenverRTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 05:20 PM   #67

Trailer: August 2017 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
When I bought my Casita, it came with a Camco Multi Clamp to keep the trailer plug from getting loose while traveling.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-391...XLwaAkai8P8HAQ

I now use it with the Escape. It works great to keep the 7 pin from getting loose and causing the lights to fail. Adjusted to just slip over the spring-loaded cover on the 7-pin receptacle, it is easy to remove / replace but keeps the cover secured on the 7-pin connector.
Could you or "SkiMan" please post a photo of how you wrap exactly what, at what points? I have thoughts, but not at all confident I understand....and struggling with maintaining my cord/receiver connection. Thanks - Susan
sumac.rhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 06:06 PM   #68
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
the lid on the 7-blade receptacle on the tug should have a pretty stiff spring holding it closed, and there's a notch on the inside of the lid thats supposed to lock against a notch on the top of the trailer's 7-blade plug. I always ensure thats engaged, and have never had a plug fall out.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 07:29 PM   #69

...I'm having flimsy flap and spring functions. Worked okay initially...but disappointing longevity...?
Old 01-12-2022, 09:32 PM   #70

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumac.rhus View Post
Could you or "SkiMan" please post a photo of how you wrap exactly what, at what points? I have thoughts, but not at all confident I understand....and struggling with maintaining my cord/receiver connection. Thanks - Susan
Get you one in the morning.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 03:06 AM   #71

Thank you so much!
Old 01-13-2022, 04:26 PM   #72

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumac.rhus View Post
Attached picture of clamp on an extra plug inserted into my Silverado. Second picture is real trailer plug. Note one wrap of electrical tape on Escape plug. Between the clamp and a wrap of tape everything stays connected well on the Silverado. The silver plug is one i bought to replace the Escape plug. It fits into the Silverado very well, much better than the one on the Escape. The clamp and wrap of tape works well, and I did not want to introduce a bunch of new connections on screw terminals of the new plug.
Attached Thumbnails
Plug1.jpg   plug2.jpg  

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 03:22 PM   #73

Again: Thank you so much!