Trailer brakes not working - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2017, 09:26 PM   #61

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I have a Primus, where and why I got it is no longer relevant to the discussion unless it quits working (which it turns out is not the case). But curious as to why the P3 is better- they do the same thing, the same way.
Search P3 vs. Primus. ETrailer has a good description. They both do the same things, however P3 has advantages in placement due to its size. Also the settings control is better, and has a better display. The diagnostics are a main attribute though.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 03:31 PM   #62

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0
Electric Brakes fix

Friends,
I just bought a 2019 5.0 and while driving it home, my truck showed no brakes connected. I began trouble shooting by looking at my truck first and all checked out. Then I pulled the cover off of the terminal box on the hitch. (See picture). I found the blue wire had pulled out of its terminal. I re-crimped the terminal to the wire reinstalled and everything worked. It is worth a look.
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
5278DE36-7818-4EFE-8D9A-AE1AC213927A.jpg   3B3CBF4F-7E06-489C-9E3D-2608F6033534.jpg  
Shusterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 03:49 PM   #63

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shusterm View Post
Friends,
I just bought a 2019 5.0 and while driving it home, my truck showed no brakes connected. I began trouble shooting by looking at my truck first and all checked out. Then I pulled the cover off of the terminal box on the hitch. (See picture). I found the blue wire had pulled out of its terminal. I re-crimped the terminal to the wire reinstalled and everything worked. It is worth a look.
Mike
A word to wise, this poster is a non-Escape owner, so the pictures posted may not be accurate.....
Old 10-08-2022, 05:49 PM   #64

Trailer: 21
Hey Jim, he says he just bought a 2019 5.0 so wouldn’t that make him an escape owner
Old 10-08-2022, 07:29 PM   #65

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
Hey Jim, he says he just bought a 2019 5.0 so wouldn’t that make him an escape owner
My bad, I was just going off what his avatar said......
Old 10-08-2022, 07:58 PM   #66

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shusterm View Post
Friends,
Mike
Uh, someone used the wrong crimper on those lugs! Insulated lugs use a different crimp than uninsulated ones.

From the internet: "Crimpers for insulated terminals have rounded jaws designed to avoid damaging the terminal insulation. Using an uninsulated crimper on an insulated terminal could damage the insulation sleeve or lead to an under crimp or an over crimp."

That big dent in the lug shows that the tech used the uninsulated crimper jaws to do the crimp - and that is why those crimp connections may fail over time.

Also, take a look at the main 12v red wire - they cut off strands from the wire to get it to fit the undersized crimp lug. Several of the yellow lugs are crimped to smaller wires than the lug is rated for - again, bad practice.

You will need to redo all those crimps to make them reliable using the correct sized crimp lugs. My suggestion is to use uninsulated crimp lugs (or pull off the insulation sleeve) crimped, then soldered, then heat shrinked. Below is a pic of what I'm suggesting.
Attached Thumbnails
Breakout Box updated.jpg  
Old 10-09-2022, 11:42 AM   #67

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0
5.0 brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Uh, someone used the wrong crimper on those lugs! Insulated lugs use a different crimp than uninsulated ones.

From the internet: "Crimpers for insulated terminals have rounded jaws designed to avoid damaging the terminal insulation. Using an uninsulated crimper on an insulated terminal could damage the insulation sleeve or lead to an under crimp or an over crimp."

That big dent in the lug shows that the tech used the uninsulated crimper jaws to do the crimp - and that is why those crimp connections may fail over time.

Also, take a look at the main 12v red wire - they cut off strands from the wire to get it to fit the undersized crimp lug. Several of the yellow lugs are crimped to smaller wires than the lug is rated for - again, bad practice.

You will need to redo all those crimps to make them reliable using the correct sized crimp lugs. My suggestion is to use uninsulated crimp lugs (or pull off the insulation sleeve) crimped, then soldered, then heat shrinked. Below is a pic of what I'm suggesting.
Thanks for the advise.
Shusterm is offline   Reply With Quote