Trailer cover for winter - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2019, 06:52 AM   #1

Trailer: Hello Hakuna Matata (Escape 19) bye bye Aliner
Trailer cover for winter

Hi all

I live in Québec Canada were snow and ice is part of the winter...

Since I'll store the trailer outside and will live for more warmer temperature in mid december, I wonder about how it is gonna be a pain to remove the cover supplied by ETI. Since the trailler is not store at my house, it is not possible for me to brush the snow away each time...

Does the snow and ice gonna stik to the cover like hell?

I was more thinking of only putting it on at the end of january when I come back but then I'm wonder about the road salt grime that could be on depending on the weather then. Washing the trailler is gonna be difficult,

Please chime in for ideal.
hondasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:21 AM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
You are correct it sticks like hell to the cover.

I head south in Jan, I keep the trailer covered until snow is forecast and remove it before that. In my case I also need to move the trailer from the side yard to the driveway till we leave.

When we come home in late winter, I leave it uncovered till I get a chance to clean it up. If you cover it dirty you are going to grind in all the dirt when the wind kicks up. If I get mild weather and the roads are not a mess, I can wash it at a coin op car wash, if not it waits till I can do it at home. I cover it afterwards.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
No cover

I wouldn't bother covering it.

I had a 17B and the previous owner used a cover and I believe the cover took the shine off the upper corners of the trailer. If I left my trailer out in the winter, I would take it to the marina and have them shrink wrap it. The covers blow in the wind and ruin your finish.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:52 PM   #4

That is true, if one doesn't take steps to keep the wind from getting under it.
Old 09-02-2019, 01:15 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 17B
This is my 2nd fiberglass trailer (2018 17B) and had the previous one for 9 years, both under a trailer cover for the winter. Just wash your trailer and once dried up, put the cover on (I do it before the first snow, in November).

You don't have to remove the snow on it - ever. The finish will not be affected as long you make sure the cover is strapped in snugly(?) so it doesn't buffet in the wind. I live in Gatineau too (Chelsea actually).

I find the cover surprisingly easy to put on/off (need a 6ft step ladder). The cover zipper makes the inside trailer accessible, a big bonus.

Bon voyage(s)!
bitsnbytes131055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 03:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsnbytes131055 View Post
You don't have to remove the snow on it - ever.
The OP is asking about using the trailer mid December when it's possible it'll be covered with snow.

Chances are one can get the cover off after brushing off what snow they can, but drying it out and storing can be a bit of a hassle, in December.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:23 AM   #7

Trailer: Hello Hakuna Matata (Escape 19) bye bye Aliner
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
The OP is asking about using the trailer mid December when it's possible it'll be covered with snow.

Chances are one can get the cover off after brushing off what snow they can, but drying it out and storing can be a bit of a hassle, in December.
Actually, I'm more concern about the freezing rain or melting snow that is gonna turn on ice on the cover"

I don't want to teare it apart when I'm gonna remove it in december. I know I can manage to remove the snow but it can be crusty on the roof even with an incline trailer.

Decision decision....
hondasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:09 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have never covered my Escape in the winter, makes it easier to use for those last minute unplanned getaways.....and with the power enclosed awning it stays clean all year.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:28 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Our trailers sat outside , covered for many winters . We cleaned the snow off the cover with a soft push broom . If there was ice on the cover we turned on the electric heat in the trailer set on high and the ice on the cover would soften and allow you to remove the cover
The strip heater in the A/C works great for softening / melting the ice off the roof / cover.
I’ve wished my Escape had the strip heater on numerous occasions, one more thing to add to my list
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:48 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Ice does stick to the covers on my Escapes. Where the cover hangs low enough to touch the ground, I have also had the cover freeze onto the ground.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 02:15 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Nothing touches trailer. Been able to knock heavy snows off with a big broom. Only problems are high wind, and low shelf-life of vinyl. Need serious guy-work for the wind. Harbor Freight tarps to cover the fitted canopy never a perfect fit.
Attached Thumbnails
snowN06.jpg  
Old 09-05-2019, 07:59 PM   #12

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Nothing touches trailer. Been able to knock heavy snows off with a big broom. Only problems are high wind, and low shelf-life of vinyl. Need serious guy-work for the wind. Harbor Freight tarps to cover the fitted canopy never a perfect fit.
Myron, this picture needs to be made into a puzzle and the December Escape calendar. I LIKE IT!!
Old 09-23-2019, 04:33 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Bits, what cover do you have for your trailer?
Nancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsnbytes131055 View Post
This is my 2nd fiberglass trailer (2018 17B) and had the previous one for 9 years, both under a trailer cover for the winter. Just wash your trailer and once dried up, put the cover on (I do it before the first snow, in November).

You don't have to remove the snow on it - ever. The finish will not be affected as long you make sure the cover is strapped in snugly(?) so it doesn't buffet in the wind. I live in Gatineau too (Chelsea actually).

I find the cover surprisingly easy to put on/off (need a 6ft step ladder). The cover zipper makes the inside trailer accessible, a big bonus.

Bon voyage(s)!
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote