Trailer prowl - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2019, 10:12 PM   #41

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Just to be clear, these systems are effective in protecting your trailer or vehicles parked near the camera (presumably on your house).
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:20 PM   #42

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
But as mentioned...only so good at night.
You can see the same printing in the yellow circle at night is nowhere near as good as my previous post in red.
Attached Thumbnails
B10E4DE7-9E51-4E4C-9818-B48D4FAF584D.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:45 PM   #43

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
Our surprise is how bold the criminals are despite knowing there are video cameras. They seem to recognize that as long as they don't venture onto property, the infrared video images on the street don't give clear enough images of faces.

If they don't venture onto your property and steal or vandalize, how do you know they are criminals?
I noticed a cigarette butt next to my trailer today. Don't know what to make of that.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:58 PM   #44

Seattle has become property crime capital of the US. Might want to lock down your propane tanks & stuff a bunch of heavy stuff temporarily inside the hatch door to ward off future thievery.
Gasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:10 PM   #45

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Reading about incidents like this always sends my mind to a place where I wonder things like, “What would be the best way to attach a trip wire from the access hatch to a can of bear repellent?” Or “How hard would it be to electrify the hatch?”
Me too.
Perhaps something like this to deter a pesky “bear”.

https://www.udap.com/mm5/product/SG50
Micheal K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:18 PM   #46

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Forgot to lock my SUV one night and found the driver's door ajar in the morning. Vehicle had obviously been rifled. CDs were all over the seats. None of them were missing. I guess we just didn't have the same taste in music.

A neighbour never locks their house. Came home from a weekend away to discover that somebody had left a DVD player on their entertainment centre.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:15 AM   #47

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Forgot to lock my SUV one night and found the driver's door ajar in the morning. Vehicle had obviously been rifled. CDs were all over the seats. None of them were missing. I guess we just didn't have the same taste in music.

A neighbour never locks their house. Came home from a weekend away to discover that somebody had left a DVD player on their entertainment centre.

Was your neighbor away over Christmas? Was there reindeer offal on the roof?
Old 01-29-2019, 05:55 AM   #48

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
The main reason the pictures were not much use were as mentioned it was dark and made it difficult to see clear plus they also had hoodies. I really think loud noise and also bright motion lights would also be a good deterrent.
Funny thing is when police showed up obvious rookie avoided touching handles opening doors with his elbow until his partner said don't worry about that. If we have a data bank of finger prints why not at least take some from the back door they broke into, a couple of cabinets we very rarely touch that they opened all the drawers? Really wonder if they want or have the time to look into crimes like this much past taking a report.
I always thought our Grover was safe locked in a warehouse, I guess only safe from the weather.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:59 AM   #49

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Eggscape,
What kind of cover is that? Looks like a 1/2 cover than can go on/off pretty easy?
Old 01-29-2019, 06:26 AM   #50

Trailer: ?
Locally, the police department has asked those with exterior security camera systems aimed at the street to voluntarily register them with the police. That way, if a crime is committed in the neighborhood, the police can, with the owners permission, review any recordings looking for clues.
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:12 AM   #51

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
Really wonder if they want or have the time to look into crimes like this much past taking a report.
My parents and neighbors were having lawn ornaments stolen (basically anything not bolted or screwed down) and tires slashed in their quiet neighborhood. One vehicle had all four tires hit at the same time. A new bush was even dug up! The police were just going through the motions, but my parents were persistent and they agreed to set up a camera inside my parents Scamp facing out the window. Other neighbors started buying cameras. Word got out and the vandalism stopped. Must be someone close by who is hearing the buzz... Turns out it was the old lady two doors down that started to go crazy after losing her husband. Apparently she was well versed at stealing and slashing tires as a youth in Trenton and decided to go back to it in her late 80's. She died, her daughter basically admitted she was doing it and there hasn't been a problem since. Lesson learned: Don't rule anyone out!
Old 01-29-2019, 10:39 AM   #52

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
Locally, the police department has asked those with exterior security camera systems aimed at the street to voluntarily register them with the police. That way, if a crime is committed in the neighborhood, the police can, with the owners permission, review any recordings looking for clues.
In my retirement routine I regularly see some former law enforcement personnel about every
week. They are pretty solid on their position of how much camera footage is helping. That and the DNA thing is hopefully making a difference. The sister of a girl I graduated from high school with was murdered 39 years ago. They got the guy in December using the DNA network these ancestry things are knitting together.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-29-2019, 12:07 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Eggscape,
What kind of cover is that? Looks like a 1/2 cover than can go on/off pretty easy?
It is a simple trap in its winter position.

During the summer that same tarp goes straight up to form a canopy between the house and three perfectly spaced trees. There is a front and back spring loaded cable that I leave up all the time between the house and two of the outmost trees. As soon as the snow stops, I release the tie downs from the trailer and lift each end of the tarp up attaching it with clips to the front and rear cables. I then use a two ratchet straps (yellow) to make a center support, lifting the center of the trap and forming a peak. The reverse happens in the fall.

The tarp will never see the ground again until it is ready for the garbage. It just goes up and down from the trailer roof and I can do it all myself.

When I originally installed the trap the trailer was not in place. Again I just clipped in each end to the suspended cables, then made the ratchet strap center peak and backed the trailer underneath.

With the cargo trailer parked in front we are not so lucky. It has a trap for the winter that comes off in the summer. To get that tarp on, my wife and I each have a ski pole that we put through the corner grommets on one end. With the trap on the ground about 10 ft in front, we lift up the poles into the air and start running. If all goes well the trap flys like a flag up and over the roof vent on the cargo trailer and it’s covered. Glad we don’t have to do that with the Escape!
Attached Thumbnails
F80C63DD-2966-4669-A2DC-90460348AB9D.jpg   C6BDD53D-06E3-4C93-9F52-983AAE358B59.jpg   B629737F-53ED-40F1-A5A0-42B6D0327DDC.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:48 AM   #54

Trailer: 2018 5ota
Alarm

I put a simpli safe system on the doors with the sensors. With the invertor and solar panels I turn it on when I leave trailer. Any cubby holes opened sounds the alarm.
garyfaulkner00 is offline   Reply With Quote