Trailer prowl - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2019, 12:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 17A
Trailer prowl

Our 17A got prowled the other night, via the left front access hatch. The perp just pulled the hatch open (it was locked)and the lip that secures the lock behind gave way. The lip is fairly thin metal. I have been trying to figure a way to reinforce the lip. Has anyone else been through this? Any ideas?
noblets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 01:04 PM   #2

Trailer: ?
The harder it is to access the storage area, the more damage a determined thief will do.

We don’t keep any high value stuff in the camper.

Make it easy on the thief to find nothing and hopefully, they will just move on.

I don't know what key system Escape uses for their storage bin locks, but most every US built RV I've owned had the universal 751 key. The easiest way to steal stuff from a bin is to simply walk around with key 751.

I'm guessing that most any Escape bin key can open most any Escape bin.

Ed
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 02:59 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
So sorry that happened. Eggscape has done some mods at this thread that might be helpful:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html

Posts 208 & 210.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 03:19 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
The CH751 locks can be easily replaced. That doesn’t fix the weak lip they engage with though.
https://shoprvlocks.com/
Old 01-26-2019, 06:10 PM   #5

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
The harder it is to access the storage area, the more damage a determined thief will do.

We don’t keep any high value stuff in the camper.

Make it easy on the thief to find nothing and hopefully, they will just move on.

I don't know what key system Escape uses for their storage bin locks, but most every US built RV I've owned had the universal 751 key. The easiest way to steal stuff from a bin is to simply walk around with key 751.

I'm guessing that most any Escape bin key can open most any Escape bin.

Ed
Agree. Not the same area of concern, but I found the dinkiest locks that I could find for my storage box. I'd rather they steal everything inside there rather than break my $700 box.

I would apply the same principle to any exterior hatches if I had them. Fixing a hole broken into the fiberglass is likely not cheap.

Sorry to hear about the break in!
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 06:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I got this sticker but have not applied it yet as I think it might just delay me at the border. I was thinking of applying it to a removable plate but it would probably just get stolen.
Attached Thumbnails
51D04BB1-290B-4F04-9E87-CF332CE55C53.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 07:12 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
I got this sticker but have not applied it yet as I think it might just delay me at the border. I was thinking of applying it to a removable plate but it would probably just get stolen.
Except maybe the guns inside that you are advertising.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 07:16 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The big 5th wheel parked next to Ten Forward in the storage yard has this sticker on the door.
Attached Thumbnails
ElectronicsDecal.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 07:20 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
How about "Is this sticker worth dying for"?
Old 01-26-2019, 08:00 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The local police service and the Alberta Motor Association have promoted the idea of removing valuables from vehicles in a campaign which includes "All Valuables Removed" placards that are to be placed in the vehicle's windows when it is parked. Now, does anyone really believe that those vehicles have all valuables removed... or is it just that the stuff is out of sight? To me, it just seems to advertise that the driver of the car is worried about theft from the vehicle, and I doubt that's helpful.

The "all electronics removed" sign for an RV is particularly implausible - who takes the television out of their RV every time they leave to go for a walk or whatever? Of course many people have no TV - but that would be a different sign.

If I had a firearm in a trailer, I certainly wouldn't advertise it. Whether criminals interpret it as "I have something valuable to protect" or just "there's probably a gun in here to be taken", the message doesn't seem constructive. Of course, if you just want a "conversation" (argument) starter for campgrounds, a sign with a handgun on it will probably work...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:01 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I feel that the notation of a security camera system in use is about as effective as anything. Things with value to tweakers, like guns and electronics just give them more desire to break in. The quality of game cameras with no flash and no mechanical shutter are pretty amazing these days. 18 volt drills and 18 volt 4 1/2 inch grinders make locks, cables and other security devices pretty vulnerable.
In my home town on Christmas night this year, some cretins ransacked a car wash. They got $700 and did $7,000 in damage. One fat boy was wearing sweat pants that kept slipping down. The police named it the “Butt crack bandit caper”, and the news media was only too happy to run the footage over and over. A security camera at another business that was cased but not robbed picked up them and their license plate. Not sure if they used “facial”’recognition or what but they are in jail now.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-26-2019, 08:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The big 5th wheel parked next to Ten Forward in the storage yard has this sticker on the door.
In fine print it sould say “except for the camera system that is right now recording that disappointing look on your face”
Old 01-26-2019, 08:12 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I park Ten Forward in a storage yard that's in a 55 y/o and better community. A large portion of the RVs are there during the summer and doing the snowbird thing over the winter. So yeah, I think a decal like I posted may be a good idea. A couple of bucks spent, doesn't hurt anything and may be enough that some thief will move along.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:13 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 17A
Thanks for the link to Industrial Locks and Hardware.

Here's where I'm headed right now: I bought a piece of aluminum 3/4" angle, 1/16" inch thick. I'll rivet in a piece to reinforce the thin existing lip.

I can buy the locks from Industrial Locks with different cam (tang?) offset that will compensate for the thicker sill.

The trailer came with a single lock on the hatch. I'll replace the non-locking latch with an additional lock.
noblets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:22 PM   #15

Trailer: ?
https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Illu...+light+outdoor

When we are boondocking, I mount a motion detector light like this over the entry door. The bottom of the light rests on the gutter and the top is held in place with a small tab of Velcro.
I also use them at home for security purposes.

Mostly, low life prefers the dark. A light might be just enough to send them to a softer target.

My pre-departure checklist has a reminder to take the light down before driving off.
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:35 PM   #16

Quote:

When we are boondocking, I mount a motion detector light like this over the entry door. The bottom of the light rests on the gutter and the top is held in place with a small tab of Velcro.

Mostly, low life prefers the dark. A light might be just enough to send them to a softer target.

My pre-departure checklist has a reminder to take the light down before driving off.
Neat idea. Another option is to just replace the stock Escape light with one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Starlights-SL.../dp/B004O7DBM4

If you have the indoor switch you just toggle to off, constant on, or motion modes.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:41 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape
Quote:

Fantastic information! I've been looking to acquire a larger trailer and this helps.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The local police service and the Alberta Motor Association have promoted the idea of removing valuables from vehicles in a campaign which includes "All Valuables Removed" placards that are to be placed in the vehicle's windows when it is parked. Now, does anyone really believe that those vehicles have all valuables removed... or is it just that the stuff is out of sight? To me, it just seems to advertise that the driver of the car is worried about theft from the vehicle, and I doubt that's helpful.

The "all electronics removed" sign for an RV is particularly implausible - who takes the television out of their RV every time they leave to go for a walk or whatever? Of course many people have no TV - but that would be a different sign.

If I had a firearm in a trailer, I certainly wouldn't advertise it. Whether criminals interpret it as "I have something valuable to protect" or just "there's probably a gun in here to be taken", the message doesn't seem constructive. Of course, if you just want a "conversation" (argument) starter for campgrounds, a sign with a handgun on it will probably work...
Always so pragmatic Brian. Enjoy reading your posts.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:47 AM   #19

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Reading about incidents like this always sends my mind to a place where I wonder things like, “What would be the best way to attach a trip wire from the access hatch to a can of bear repellent?” Or “How hard would it be to electrify the hatch?”
Old 01-27-2019, 06:48 AM   #20

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Unfortunately one cannot electrify door knobs n such gets in a mess of trouble
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote