Trailer rear view camera - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2021, 01:24 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
Trailer rear view camera

We just purchased a 2019 Escape 21C. It has a "camera connection" per the seller's information from Escape. What camera, monitor & wiring do I need to purchase? My tow vehicle is a 2019 Ram 1500, which has a backup camera. I appreciate any help. Thanks.
Glenn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 12:12 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 17B
First off, a disclaimer...I have no real world experience, but I have recently done a bunch of research on that general topic...

First, you can probably call ETI to find out exactly what and where the 'camera connection' is. Then, I'd suggest you go to a car stereo store with the trailer to see what they suggest. There are wireless options or wired options. Wired options will be less expensive I'm quite sure. If your current stereo setup has additional inputs for other cameras, perhaps you can connect to it. As new as your truck is, you might be in luck.

I purchased a used 2013 17B and have a 2001 Tundra as a tow vehicle. I decided to upgrade the original stereo system so that I could have a backup camera, siriusxm, and navigation. The head unit I chose actually has inputs for multiple cameras, so I've decided to install a camera on the back of the trailer too. I'm gonna have to run a video cable under to the rear of the trailer, which you shouldn't need to do. I'm working out the details now but it looks like it's gonna work. The final hurdle is weatherproof fittings at the hitch area connection.

Good luck and let us know what you chose to do.
Rickshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 12:21 AM   #3

Thanks. I have searched on adding an additional camera but haven't found anything promising yet but I have not given up. I think your suggestions are very good. I already asked who at Escape I need to talk with about the camera set up. I will contact him Monday. It appears Furrion is the brand of camera the Escape is set up for. A little pricey but I am a believer in "you get what you pay for". Looking at what is on their website, it appears the price range is $450 to $900.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickshaw View Post
First off, a disclaimer...I have no real world experience, but I have recently done a bunch of research on that general topic...

First, you can probably call ETI to find out exactly what and where the 'camera connection' is. Then, I'd suggest you go to a car stereo store with the trailer to see what they suggest. There are wireless options or wired options. Wired options will be less expensive I'm quite sure. If your current stereo setup has additional inputs for other cameras, perhaps you can connect to it. As new as your truck is, you might be in luck.

I purchased a used 2013 17B and have a 2001 Tundra as a tow vehicle. I decided to upgrade the original stereo system so that I could have a backup camera, siriusxm, and navigation. The head unit I chose actually has inputs for multiple cameras, so I've decided to install a camera on the back of the trailer too. I'm gonna have to run a video cable under to the rear of the trailer, which you shouldn't need to do. I'm working out the details now but it looks like it's gonna work. The final hurdle is weatherproof fittings at the hitch area connection.

Good luck and let us know what you chose to do.
Old 01-23-2021, 12:31 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 17B
I agree that you get what you pay for. The trick is not paying for something you don't need.

That's why I suggest you find out if the monitor that displays your truck backup camera now can be used for the trailer camera too. I think a lot of the aftermarket backup cameras come with monitors that you may not need.
Rickshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 12:45 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
I bought a cheap Costco wireless backup camera that’s magnetic and rechargeable though you can mount it wired for power. I stick it on the back bumper when I’m backing in . Works just fine and was 100.00
The included monitor I just mount on the face of the stereo with a suction cup as needed. It’s also handy to stick it on the steps to watch your wheels as they come up on the level block. Meets my needs at a great price.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:43 AM   #6

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
I'll just toss this out there, not trying to be overly argumentative, but these cameras cost a fair bit and involve some hassle in setup and I can't see what problem they are trying to solve.

I've driven a lot of trailers for years, including class 8 semi, and never needed to be able to see directly behind the trailer. Even backing a 53' van trailer into a narrow loading dock, a pair of large side view mirrors give a much better sense of where the back of the trailer is and where it is going than a camera placed on the back would. Perspective is everything, as they say, and the perspective from the tractor is better than the perspective from behind the trailer.

I've noticed ETI offers the option, and quite a few people talk about them here on the forums so clearly some folks see the need. I'm just curious what you are looking for in the camera view.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 07:14 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
As with driving skills, some are more skilled than others due to experience while others need help and any assistance they can get. I have the escape optional camera system and find it very useful when switching lanes and keeping an eye on traffic when towing thru big cities where traffic tends to be heavy( my better half watches the monitor while in these big cities so I can concentrate on the road in front n she alerts me to possible issues behind us. Others do fine without the camera system. It all comes down to preference. Either one thinks it’s great or thinks it’s a waste of time n money. Depending on ones skillset you need to go with what you feel comfortable with while towing.

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:59 AM   #8

Trailer: 2020 17b, 2020 Ford Ranger XLT
​E​TI installed the optional Furrion VisionS 5" (FOS05TASF) system on our 17b (November 2020). It was easy to set up and didn't need the antenna screwed onto the camera for a good image. The trailer cover has a tight fit and would probably damage the antenna (even folded down) or cause it to unscrew and get lost.

We're noobies in the RV world and thought a camera would make backing-up easier, but we don't use it anymore as I've become more comfortable using the TV's mirrors instead. If I did use it, I'd consider the 7" screen over our 5" screen, the 5" screen is too small for me.
saguarocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 03:31 PM   #9

Thanks. We are new too and I think having cameras will add some safety to the drive and backing when you can't pull through. When you get a chance, can you take a few pictures of the installed cameras? By the way, love the Lake Tahoe area. I was stationed at Mather AFB in the early 70s and loved to fish the streams and sightsee the Tahoe area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saguarocat View Post
​E​TI installed the optional Furrion VisionS 5" (FOS05TASF) system on our 17b (November 2020). It was easy to set up and didn't need the antenna screwed onto the camera for a good image. The trailer cover has a tight fit and would probably damage the antenna (even folded down) or cause it to unscrew and get lost.

We're noobies in the RV world and thought a camera would make backing-up easier, but we don't use it anymore as I've become more comfortable using the TV's mirrors instead. If I did use it, I'd consider the 7" screen over our 5" screen, the 5" screen is too small for me.
Old 01-23-2021, 05:05 PM   #10

Trailer: 2020 17b, 2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Unfortunately the trailer is stored offsite now, but attached is the best picture we have showing the black camera. It's antenna (not attached in this picture) is about 4" long, thick as a pencil and screws into the top, middle of the camera. It folds 90 degrees to be parallel with the ground or is vertical.

I recall seeing the model available on Amazon and the reviews etc might shed more light.

You brought up safety while driving and, for me, I thought it unsafe to use the camera because it meant either taking my eyes off the road or relying on my co-pilot to watch the camera and relay the situation. It is less stressful for me to look myself.

Tahoe is great, except for the summer crowds. That is one reason we got the Escape, to get out of here during the peak tourist season.
Attached Thumbnails
fossil_falls.jpg  
saguarocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:20 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I have a Voyager which I can switch on or off from the driver seat. It can be used as a rear view camera in heavy traffic or a back up camera. But honestly, I find it most useful to see my spouse’s hand signals when I’m backing into a campsite, and also when she is watching the level for side-to-side leveling. For backing purposes, I prefer to rely on the mirrors.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:52 PM   #12

Thanks for the picture. My wife helps me navigate frequently. Neck problems prevents me from turning my head much.

The area I fished with a friend was very close to Kyburz. I can imagine the crowds near Lake Tahoe would be pretty bad these days during the peak of the tourist season. Thanks again for the suggestions and information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saguarocat View Post
Unfortunately the trailer is stored offsite now, but attached is the best picture we have showing the black camera. It's antenna (not attached in this picture) is about 4" long, thick as a pencil and screws into the top, middle of the camera. It folds 90 degrees to be parallel with the ground or is vertical.

I recall seeing the model available on Amazon and the reviews etc might shed more light.

You brought up safety while driving and, for me, I thought it unsafe to use the camera because it meant either taking my eyes off the road or relying on my co-pilot to watch the camera and relay the situation. It is less stressful for me to look myself.

Tahoe is great, except for the summer crowds. That is one reason we got the Escape, to get out of here during the peak tourist season.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:45 PM   #13
SCS

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I have the rear view camera and have never used it on the highway. The mirrors (I have extensions) provide sufficient view while towing. Having said that there are a couple of situations where it provides peace of mind. When I am by myself, I use it when backing just to make sure that no one has slipped in behind the trailer (particularly in crowded public spaces such as gas stations and we've all been there despite best efforts). I don't use it for backing alignment since it messes with my head but it is nice to glance at it and know that no small children or pets are behind me. Little critters can move pretty fast.
SCS is offline   Reply With Quote