Traveling in sub freezing weather - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2020, 08:10 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Traveling in sub freezing weather

In our continuing saga, we are scheduled to leave the Minneapolis area tomorrow morning (still without a furnace) and head home to Carson City, NV. We have a small electric heater for when we can plug in and a portable propane heater for when we can't. Temperature highs will be in the 20s and lows in the single digits. We have the heat pads for the tanks that we have never used and have the extra insulation underneath. Each of three nights we have reservations at campgrounds where we can plug in.

Any advice for our traveling success with our 2017 5.0 TA in the cold is appreciated.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:23 AM   #2

Trailer: 2020 21NE
Be very careful with the portable propane heater. In Idaho people die yearly from using them in closed places. Safe travels.
ghampshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:27 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I know you have done a good job of checking out the weather. Here is a link to the NOAA forecast for Laramie on I-80. I think you may have to really think about winterizing either with RV anti-freeze or air before traveling with these temps. If you have taken care of your water lines then you only have to stay warm and spending nights with power will do that for you. Once you get to Wednesday things look better here locally.

Also consider that an early snow can make the roads really dangerous. In my mind, making sure the roads are clear and dry will be an important decision.

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...ield2=-105.583
mvassallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:58 AM   #4

Trailer: 2012 19
Winterize and dry camp those nights. Use campground facilities if you can. I can’t see any way you can travel during the day unless you winterize. Or delay your trip.
Graham
gyuill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:38 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Get an electric blanket for the bed and only use the electric heater while down in lower section and can observe it. Good luck
Old 10-24-2020, 10:45 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 5.0
I agree that you should winterize it...it is easy to keep things from freezing while using the trailer at a campsite, but not so easy when driving down the road with all the wind chill. I've done a lot of winter camping, and the one time my tanks all froze up, was when we were driving down the highway in BC, with temps like you are describing. Then once they freeze, it is very difficult to un-freeze, even with heat pads.
Old 10-24-2020, 10:50 AM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
I agree that you should winterize it...it is easy to keep things from freezing while using the trailer at a campsite, but not so easy when driving down the road with all the wind chill. I've done a lot of winter camping, and the one time my tanks all froze up, was when we were driving down the highway in BC, with temps like you are describing. Then once they freeze, it is very difficult to un-freeze, even with heat pads.
Wind chill doesn't have much effect on inanimate objects. The only effect wind chill has on inanimate objects, such as car radiators and water pipes, is to shorten the amount of time for the object to cool. The inanimate object will not cool below the actual air temperature.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 11:08 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Thanks everyone!

Bruce is winterizing the trailer with anti-freeze. We just have to careful not to drink the water!
Old 10-24-2020, 11:44 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Wind chill doesn't have much effect on inanimate objects. The only effect wind chill has on inanimate objects, such as car radiators and water pipes, is to shorten the amount of time for the object to cool. The inanimate object will not cool below the actual air temperature.
True, but that shortening effect is the exact effect I was referring to, and the one I'd worry about here, i.e. how fast will things freeze while going down the windy highway, in between campsites...
TahoeJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 12:11 PM   #10

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Make sure to winterize the outdoor shower(s) if you have them.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote