Tripod Hitch Pin Stabilizers - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2018, 07:26 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA as of June 28, 2018
Tripod Hitch Pin Stabilizers

Our new 5.0 TA will be ready for pick up on June 28th and we are excited. Trying to get ready so we are properly prepared to enjoy the Escape. Saw a number of fifth-wheel trailers using a tripod-style hitch pin stabilizer when trailer is disconnected from the truck. Is that necessary for an Escape 5.0 TA? Anybody using a tripod stabilizer? Thanks, Mel
Mel Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:45 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
No need with the 5.0TA. I use X-chocks and find the trailer very stable. I had wondered the same thing before getting the trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:59 AM   #3

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Used a Ultra Fab Tripod Stabilizer on our 5 TA during our recent month long trip down the coast to Arizona and California. My experience was that it significantly increased the stability of the trailer while parked. It came with a lock so gave us an added, albeit limited, increase in security. It was light and easy to put up/breakdown and storage was simple while traveling. Also use it at home. Opinions will vary but I suspect many who don’t like it haven’t tried it. We would recommend getting one.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:38 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark James View Post
. Opinions will vary but I suspect many who don’t like it haven’t tried it. We would recommend getting one.
To be clear, I never said I don't like it, just that with the X-chocks in place, our trailer is very stable, and do not feel a need for further stability.

Here is the thread when I asked about this, which was well before owning it. One member there tried it, but found it made no difference and left it behind.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...zing-7112.html
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:48 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I had one, it was given to me. Granted it was the steel version and not aluminum but it was heavy. One more thing to find a place for in the bed of the truck and drag out of the garage to pack. With the payload limitation of my truck, I'm glad I didn't 'need' it.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:05 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Tucker View Post
Our new 5.0 TA will be ready for pick up on June 28th and we are excited. Trying to get ready so we are properly prepared to enjoy the Escape. Saw a number of fifth-wheel trailers using a tripod-style hitch pin stabilizer when trailer is disconnected from the truck. Is that necessary for an Escape 5.0 TA? Anybody using a tripod stabilizer? Thanks, Mel
Never used 1 , seems to be a solution looking for a problem. If one is extremely sensitive to movement thE weight and hassle might be worth it, just think they where designed for a much heavier overhang on a larger trailer. Just speculation not experience 🤔
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:23 AM   #7

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Lol. When I posted the reply I had a feeling I would be one of the few in the Pro Tripod camp. X Chocks and other systems are great but I still like the added stability and support afforded by the stabilizer. Lots in use in the States however there are few small fifth wheels other than Escapes to draw a true comparison with.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:18 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Tucker View Post
Hi: Mel Tucker... I took a stand against a tripod right from the start. Been using Escape 5.0's since 2008. Both single and double axles!!! Never felt the need for one. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040736.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:47 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I recall last Escape rally, there were a half dozen of us checking out Jim B's handiwork. A half dozen walking around inside his trailer. I don't recall any wobble. Certainly nothing like my 17B when I'm too lazy to put the stabilizers down.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:33 PM   #10

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I'd suggest you skip it, if you think the trailer is shaky you can get one later. I've not found a need.