Truck bed tool box & tailgate questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2020, 04:40 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Send a message via MSN to Gary252 Send a message via Yahoo to Gary252
Truck bed tool box & tailgate questions

We will be picking up our new 5.0 in May and we will be off to the rally. Trademasters will install an Andersen hitch on our 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 6’6” bed the day before pickup.

I see several Escape owners with the same or similar combination.
My question is does the 5.0 clear the tailgate OK? The truck is stock – no additional lift.
Also are there any recommendations for a tool box ahead of the hitch in the bed? I’ve been looking at a Northern Tool deep low profile crossover tool box. Anybody using this box or similar?

Thank you.
Gary252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 05:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
I have a Ram with 6'4" bed and a tool box like you describe fits fine in front of the hitch - assuming you have a rail mounted hitch (the base of the Andersen gooseneck mount is really large and doesn't leave quite enough room for a toolbox in front of it). Not sure of the model of my box, it's 20 years old moved over from my previous truck.

Most people find that their tailgate will open, just barely. That's the case with mine, have to be perfectly aligned with the trailer when backing up - if it's off a little, you can easily hit one side of it if you back all the way to the hitch point. I have just made it my practice to back up almost to the hitch and see that I am aligned OK with the hitch, then close the tailgate before backing the last little bit onto the hitch so I don't have to worry about perfect alignment. When unhitching it's not a problem, if the alignment is a bit off there's plastic on the top of the tailgate that bumps against the trailer frame until I pull forward to unhitch.
Attached Thumbnails
Recon hitch 1.jpg  
Old 03-01-2020, 05:59 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Send a message via MSN to Gary252 Send a message via Yahoo to Gary252
Thank you, David.
I've ordered the Andersen rail hitch so I should have clearance. I'll check with Trademasters for their opinion and the room between the hitch and the front of the truck bed.
Thanks for the tips on hitching up.
And also thank you for the many tips and advice you post on the forum. Made our job in creating our build much easier.
Gary252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
If you look closely at my photo you'll see a wood platform under my tool box. Because my box is old, truck rails weren't nearly as tall back then. If it sat on the bed I'd have trouble reaching it, so I added a platform under it to bring the lid height up to the side rails. I would think that tool boxes now take that into account and are deeper.

You can see my rails within the wheel wells - yours should be similar, so as long as your toolbox fits in front of the wheel wells (which it almost certainly will) it should work out just fine.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I am between F-150s right now because my 2015 is seemingly dead as a result of EMP from a very close lightning strike. After 3 months of being in and out of the shop, I gave up and ordered a 2020. The new one was built last Friday on 2/28, but I’m not sure when it will show up. All of my F-150s have had the extended cab, not the crew cab, with a 6.5-foot bed. I do have a deep, low profile toolbox ahead of the conventional 5th wheel hitch. I believe I bought it at Lowe’s. I chose not to go with an Andersen hitch because I couldn’t stand the coupler and ball setup in a Scamp 19 I had the misfortune of owning, and didn’t want to deal with safety chains. I also replaced the Ford tailgate with a Stromberg Carlson 5th wheel tailgate, which eliminates the necessity to raise and lower the tailgate when connecting. I find that I can slide my extendable ladder in front of the hitch and it slip it under the toolbox. I really like having the toolbox as it stays loaded with RVing items between trips, so I do not have to load up for every trip. The combination works well and for the few times I needed to carry passengers, the extended cab may not have been as comfortable as a super crew cab, but it did suffice.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
Great timing on this question since just last week we drove up to Chilliwack for the orientation on our 5.0TA. Part of the orientation was having Bob in the ETI shop set up the trailer and our 2011 F-250 for towing.

The truck has a Fold-a-Cover tonneau cover with the personal caddy box option at the front of the bed. It's a pricey option but works great. Search this forum for "Fold-a-Cover" if you'd like to read about others' experiences.

The truck has a 6' 9" bed with the factory-installed 5th wheel prep package. So I was able to easily install an Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel connection gooseneck mount, Model #3220. This aluminum mount has a base that's 31.5" front to back and 36" wide. There is 22" from the front of the bed to the base of the Andersen mount and 29" behind the mount to the tailgate.

The Andersen's kingpin coupler block can fasten on the kingpin in two positions; one sets the trailer 8" closer to the rear of the truck than the other. Bob normally configures customers' trucks with this closer position. But on my particular truck the tailgate cannot fully open when the trailer is hooked up in this closer position. In the rear position, the tailgate will open but, as others have experienced, there's very little clearance from the trailer frame when the tailgate is down.

So Bob and I did a little experiment to see if the trailer can be attached or detached from the truck when the tailgate is closed. Yes, it can! If the blocks under the trailer's front lifting legs are high enough (6 or 8 inches, if I remember), the trailer easily lifts high enough for the kingpin block to clear the tailgate when backing under it or pulling away with the tailgate closed.

I am very pleased because now I can install another gear box across the rear truck bed at full bed side/tailgate height without worrying that it will be too high when connecting or disconnecting.
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:40 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I bought the LS Fold-a-Cover tonneau cover and their toolbox that works with it. I have had it 4 1/2 treats now and it has performed great. Never a drop of water in the toolbox or bed when closed.

The front of four cover sections folks over to access the tools in the caddy. Great Access. The caddy hangs on the rails and leaves near 6"clearance under it, which is handy for long stuff.

When towing the beach 3 sections fold into the front one, laying flat and giving a clear view to the rear. Both the front and back lid lock. The tailgate can be opened easily with the tonneau closed which is nice.

Not the cheapest product, but it certainly is built very well.

https://www.foldacover.com/products/...-fold-a-cover/
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:48 PM   #8

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
Upon re-reading the original post in this thread, it seems that the original question was about whether the top of the box sides and tailgate might be too high and could be damaged by the trailer hitch when turning or other maneuvering.

If that's the question, I say call Escape. They are very careful when taking a 5.0TA order to check the bed side height of the particular rig. They are in the best position to say what works and what doesn't. Our truck's bed size height drops about 2" when the trailer is connected to about 52". Although Escape didn't require it, we ordered our trailer with the extra height axle for the various reasons discussed on other threads.
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 05:56 AM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I bought the LS Fold-a-Cover tonneau cover and their toolbox that works with it. I have had it 4 1/2 treats
Jim, I think the treats are for Jasper! Don’t you just love auto-correct sometimes? It can be so helpful, but even though AI thinks it knows what you want, it sometimes really drops the ball.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:52 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary252 View Post
We will be picking up our new 5.0 in May and we will be off to the rally. Trademasters will install an Andersen hitch on our 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 6’6” bed the day before pickup.

I see several Escape owners with the same or similar combination.
My question is does the 5.0 clear the tailgate OK? The truck is stock – no additional lift.
Also are there any recommendations for a tool box ahead of the hitch in the bed? I’ve been looking at a Northern Tool deep low profile crossover tool box. Anybody using this box or similar?

Thank you.
This is the Fold-A-Cover on 6.5’ bed. I’m very pleased with it.
Attached Thumbnails
D13404DD-B0DF-4D81-A92D-7F9FA6117C02.jpg   11BBFBD5-673A-41CE-8E0A-41150E809EEB.jpg   DE28F019-A60F-43C9-BF77-F09BF4E1672C.jpg   8F12D8CF-93D8-4878-A537-51677119685A.jpg  
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 04:38 PM   #11

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
This thread has been extremely helpful. Thanks a lot. Our trailer is finished but we’re not picking up until May. We too are using Trademasters to install hitch the day before pick up. Topics/questions:
1. I’m still not convinced I want rail installation instead of gooseneck but that’s where I stand for now.
2. I’m curious if somebody out there has a picture of an Andersen hitch installed in Tundra short bed that they could post?
3. Especially would like to see pic of Tundra with bed cover. We have a tri-fold cover and not sure we can tow with just two unfolded. We may have to clamp open against back window with installed prop rods.
4. Does the top of the hitch sit below cover when not towing?
5. Assume most folks have power plug extended to bed from bumper?
Pics and any feedback appreciated.
2019 Tundra Crew Max TV
ritacasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 05:40 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritacasita View Post
This thread has been extremely helpful. Thanks a lot. Our trailer is finished but we’re not picking up until May. We too are using Trademasters to install hitch the day before pick up. Topics/questions:
1. I’m still not convinced I want rail installation instead of gooseneck but that’s where I stand for now.
2. I’m curious if somebody out there has a picture of an Andersen hitch installed in Tundra short bed that they could post?
3. Especially would like to see pic of Tundra with bed cover. We have a tri-fold cover and not sure we can tow with just two unfolded. We may have to clamp open against back window with installed prop rods.
4. Does the top of the hitch sit below cover when not towing?
5. Assume most folks have power plug extended to bed from bumper?
Pics and any feedback appreciated.
I did a lot of research on hard covers. Did not want a cover which had to sit up against rear window. This I think eliminates the trifold ones. Also wanted one you could lock, as my truck comes with locking tailgate. The Fold-a-Cover fit the bill and is a quality product. I did a lot more thinking about the toolbox option as it is not cheap. Decided on getting it and pleased wit that also. A hard locking cover is pretty much worthless if you can’t close it over your hitch. No problem with the Anderson. If you look at pics I posted you can see the 7 pin mounted in left side wall. If you’re talking about the goose neck thing that replaces the pin box, why? What are the advantages?
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote