TV & JackTV Antenna - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2016, 07:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold
TV & JackTV Antenna

In anticipation of a camping season, I installed the TV on the mount and plugged everything in. I have no instructions for the Jack Antenna. Turned the TV on, pushed the button on the wall plate (green light on) and pushed the switch to "on", on the Jack antenna thing inside the trailer. No red light on the Jack antenna thing to indicate that there is power going there. Checked the breakers... everything is on. Lots of snow on the TV screen. Tried the auto search for stations on the TV... nothing. Even though the TV is not plugged in the picture, it was plugged in. When we were bringing the trailer home from Calgary last August after we bought it, we couldn't get the TV and Jack Antenna to work then either. Anybody have any suggestions?

Fred Alexander
Attached Thumbnails
20160510_193350_resized.jpg   20160510_193455_resized.jpg  
fbalexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:53 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Don't know the cause, but the antenna isn't getting any power. Have you asked Reace?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2016, 10:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbalexander View Post
In anticipation of a camping season, I installed the TV on the mount and plugged everything in. I have no instructions for the Jack Antenna. Turned the TV on, pushed the button on the wall plate (green light on) and pushed the switch to "on", on the Jack antenna thing inside the trailer. No red light on the Jack antenna thing to indicate that there is power going there. Checked the breakers... everything is on. Lots of snow on the TV screen. Tried the auto search for stations on the TV... nothing. Even though the TV is not plugged in the picture, it was plugged in. When we were bringing the trailer home from Calgary last August after we bought it, we couldn't get the TV and Jack Antenna to work then either. Anybody have any suggestions?

Fred Alexander
Hi: fbalexander... Did you slide the little black switch on the base of the Jack Ant. forward? We leave this on all the time and only require the button with the green light to be on or off.
The attenuator turned on all the way allows the blue lights to come on. These are the signal strength indicators. In an urban market we can get 30-50 channels OTA and have3-4 blue lights on.Satellite TV Antennas | KING You might get some help here too!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:12 PM   #4
Site Team

From looking closely at the photo Alf, if looks like the antenna switch is indeed on. If there's no power to the antenna it could be bad coax, or a bad antenna.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
From looking closely at the photo Alf, if looks like the antenna switch is indeed on. If there's no power to the antenna it could be bad coax, or a bad antenna.
Hi: rbryan4... Yepper it looks on but is it? The very tiny slide switches sometimes need to be coaxed into being on. Once in Florida our antenna turned off while we were watching TV and needed to be coaxed back on... I believe in "Gremlins" now!!! Alf
Old 05-11-2016, 08:20 AM   #6

The little black slide switch is on. To make sure, I moved it back and forth a couple of times making sure it was in the "on" position. No red light "on" the Jack antenna base so I assume power is not getting there for some reason. So I will contact ETI and see if they know what I should take apart first. I expect the wiring goes under the foam covering on the ceiling... that could be a "b_tch".

Fred
Old 05-11-2016, 09:54 AM   #7

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
The little black slide switch is on. To make sure, I moved it back and forth a couple of times making sure it was in the "on" position. No red light "on" the Jack antenna base so I assume power is not getting there for some reason. So I will contact ETI and see if they know what I should take apart first. I expect the wiring goes under the foam covering on the ceiling... that could be a "b_tch".

Fred
fbalexander, Before you start your auto scan for channels, make sure your signal source is on 'Air' and not 'Cable'. Might make a difference.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:00 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
fbalexander, Before you start your auto scan for channels, make sure your signal source is on 'Air' and not 'Cable'. Might make a difference.
True, it does make a difference, but when he turns on the button at the coax jack, there's no power light on the antenna - and that has nothing to do with the signal input on the TV.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:06 AM   #9

Jack Antenna issue solved

ETI suggested checking for a loose connection at the wall plate. I opened it up and at first it seemed that all connections looked good. On further examination one of the connections did not seem screwed on as far as the other. I was able to finger tighten this connection a couple of turns. Pressed the button and bingo the Jack lights came on. Success! However I must say they don't leave much cable to pull out and work with! Looking at the picture, that's as far as the cables would let me pull the unit out.

Fred Alexander
Attached Thumbnails
20160511_195602_resized.jpg  
Old 05-13-2016, 08:12 AM   #10

Quote:
ETI suggested checking for a loose connection at the wall plate. I opened it up and at first it seemed that all connections looked good. On further examination one of the connections did not seem screwed on as far as the other. I was able to finger tighten this connection a couple of turns. Pressed the button and bingo the Jack lights came on. Success! However I must say they don't leave much cable to pull out and work with! Looking at the picture, that's as far as the cables would let me pull the unit out.

Fred Alexander
Hi: fbalexander... Nothing succeeds like success!!! Doesn't look like much room to use a wrench either. Alf
Old 05-13-2016, 08:18 AM   #11
Site Team

Thanks for the update. I thought it might be the coax.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:40 AM   #12

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Good News, a simple fix! Thanks for the update.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:59 AM   #13

Hi: All... Mine's gone again!!! No power on lights,neither green, red, or blue. The tight spacing makes my hands cramp. Going back in for another look. Alf
Old 09-25-2017, 06:08 PM   #14

Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Ours went out also. After taking it all apart, on the road, Charlie found the culprit... It was the coax cable on top of the trailer. After fixing that we have tv!
Lucy
Joe Walsh
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote