tv and shelf hanging on wall that is not reinforced - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2018, 01:26 PM   #1
m&k

Trailer: 2017 19' Sold
tv and shelf hanging on wall that is not reinforced

We purchased a used 2017 19' trailer, hardly used. Concerned that television and shelf were both mounted on wall beside the refrigerator. There are no reinforced walls listed on the build sheet and it surely does not sound reinforced. Thinking we should take down the shelf - ok to leave the tv mount on all the time and just put the tv on when we are parked? thanks, Marilyn
m&k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 02:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
I’d call ETI n see if they can give any information on that trailer as to wall reimforcement. Just a thought
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 02:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Tv mount

A lot of the TV mounts in Escapes that I’ve seen are right on the edge of a closet or wall. I think they are anchored into the framework and just not in the panel. Now if it’s out into the middle of the paneling, that’s another matter. Same with a shelf mount, if it’s anchored in the corners probably ok. I’m sure others will give their views.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 02:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
While the wall may not have the ETI reinforcing that doesn't mean that it can't be used to hold things.

Yes, the walls are hollow but they're not devoid of framing that can support items. The trick is to find and use the solid framing and only attach light items on unsupported areas.

My walls aren't reinforced but my TV swing arm is mounted to an area with solid wood framing and it's plenty strong.

When I had my fridge out, (who hasn't ) I snapped a photo that makes it easy to find the framing for future mods.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0280_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 02:34 PM   #5

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
We have a 2017 19' with a TV mounted on the bed side of the refrigerator. There are some supporting frames under the paneling. Enclosed is a picture of the refrigerator opening while ours was under construction. You can see the vertical frame at the edge and several horizontal members. Our TV bracket is mounted near the corner and screwed into the vertical frame member.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05443.jpg  
Old 04-01-2018, 02:36 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by m&k View Post
We purchased a used 2017 19' trailer, hardly used. Concerned that television and shelf were both mounted on wall beside the refrigerator. There are no reinforced walls listed on the build sheet and it surely does not sound reinforced. Thinking we should take down the shelf - ok to leave the tv mount on all the time and just put the tv on when we are parked? thanks, Marilyn
We have the reenforced ply on bed area wall . Escape at the time insisted to install the mount for our TV , the day we went to pick up . After a while screws were pulling out . We never traveled with TV installed on mount . Only mounted TV when we had arrived and still do . I had to redo and add solid oak and went ahead and added a shelf . Reattached TV mount and in about 3 1/2 years never have had a problem since . I wouldn't travel with TV attached . The shelf may be fine if they hit the framing . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 02:36 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
While the wall may not have the ETI reinforcing that doesn't mean that it can't be used to hold things.

Yes, the walls are hollow but they're not devoid of framing that can support items. The trick is to find and use the solid framing and only attach light items on unsupported areas.
The easiest way to do this is by using a strong magnet. It will locate the colored small staples ETI uses to attach the pretty wood to the framing.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 02:37 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Another Escapee downsizing, yes there should be a "stud" along the edge of the wall for mounting with or without the extra reinforcement option.
Old 04-01-2018, 02:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
We have the reenforced ply on bed area wall . Escape at the time insisted to install the mount for our TV , the day we went to pick up . After a while screws were pulling out . We never traveled with TV installed on mount . Only mounted TV when we had arrived and still do . I had to redo and add solid oak and went ahead and added a shelf . Reattached TV mount and in about 3 1/2 years never have had a problem since . I wouldn't travel with TV attached . The shelf may be fine if they hit the framing . Pat
I find Escape uses a lot of staples instead of screws in their framing . The staples can pull out . I prefer screws and glue . Pat
Old 04-01-2018, 04:13 PM   #10
m&k

Thank you all for the good advice. Will check with a magnet, think it does have something down the very edge. We removed the shelf to be sure, it was in the way where our legs go anyway.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I wouldn't travel with TV attached . Pat
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
yes there should be a "stud" along the edge of the wall for mounting with or without the extra reinforcement option.
My TV arm is through bolted. It's very solid and we travel with the TV attached without any problem.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0010_resize.JPG   IMGP0011_resize.JPG   IMGP0014_resize.JPG  
Old 04-01-2018, 07:26 PM   #12
m&k

It looks awesome there. Think they are using a different "tv arm" now Really like where you have it, but would have to order some more of those "pretty little things" to cover more holes! Thanks for the pictures!
Old 04-01-2018, 08:26 PM   #13

Quote:
My TV arm is through bolted. It's very solid and we travel with the TV attached without any problem.

Ron
I attached the mount very securely but still won't travel with tv attached . Pat
Old 04-01-2018, 08:27 PM   #14

Quote:

Ron
Just noticed you have a substantial tv mount . Ours is cast and not . I wouldn't trust ours . A piece already at the bottom broke off . Pat
Old 04-01-2018, 09:34 PM   #15

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
It looks awesome there. Think they are using a different "tv arm" now Really like where you have it, but would have to order some more of those "pretty little things" to cover more holes! Thanks for the pictures!
Ron did his own install. It’s a different mount than ETI uses.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...-arm-9172.html
Attached Thumbnails
4FE2C855-CCD8-40AB-9078-1D3D88134D79.jpeg  
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Really like where you have it,
Thanks. It's in that location because we can lounge in the conventional dinette and the person on the driver side can also easily see the TV. And it swivels back so we can watch TV in bed. Of course we have our heads at the normal end.

Ron
Old 04-01-2018, 09:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
It’s a different mount than ETI uses.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...-arm-9172.html
Didn't realize that the ETI mount was like that. If I had one like that and it relied on a couple of screws, rather than through bolts, I don't think that I'd travel with the TV on it either.

Ron
Old 04-02-2018, 12:02 AM   #18

Quote:
Didn't realize that the ETI mount was like that. If I had one like that and it relied on a couple of screws, rather than through bolts, I don't think that I'd travel with the TV on it either.

Ron
For sure and the bottom piece snapped off . What I did to secure the tv mount is on the refrigerator wall . There is no bolt through on that side . Really don't care to sleep on Street side either. Can see tv from dinette too and sometimes just remove and sit it on kitchen side especially to hear the sound from a movie like at the beach And that's with wireless speakers . To tell the truth the mount and tv antenna would never do again . Pat
Old 04-02-2018, 05:27 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My tv has been mounted on the front bath/dinette corner since 2016 and has been there for at least 10k miles, no problems. If your tv is light enough, as the new led's are, they can stay without adding too much stress to the mount. Mine is also dvd player, here it is hooked up to digital antenna in the side window.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1087.jpg  
Old 04-02-2018, 08:17 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I use a mount just like Escapes, and really like it because it is super easy to pull the whole arm off leaving a small mount. I never travel with the TV mounted, not because I could not secure it good, but we rarely watch it, so it is best left stowed and right out of the way.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote