Two Issues - Propane and Fiberglass - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2023, 10:51 AM   #1
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
Two Issues - Propane and Fiberglass

When we had our 19, I remember it was important to get the Dexter decal information off the axle before it got all grimy with road junk, so I got under our new 21C to take a pic of the Dexter labels.

When I did, I noticed two potential issues.

1. There appears to be a hole left in the body of our 21C. There are other places on the underside that look similar, but there is no hole. The patch, or whatever it is they used, only has a hole on the one in the picture. This is close to the front of the trailer and you can see my aluminum tongue box. Is this standard or did the goop that was supposed to actually cover the hole, fall out?

2. The second potential issue is what appears to be a propane distribution box. The potential problem is the one connection you can see that is so stretched it almost looks like an iron bar. Everything inside using propane is working, but this one hose looks so kinked that I am concerned about the wear and tear as the trailer bounces along to the next location as there is not slack in that line at all.

I just noticed after initially posting this that there is a plumbing/propane topic - if an administrator thinks this is more appropriate there, please move the thread, I could not figure out how after my initial post (this is an edit). Thanks!

Looking forward to comments. Thanks everyone!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3990.jpg   IMG_3999.jpg   IMG_4003.jpg  
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 10:56 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I agree on the propane hose issue, as far as the hole, they are drains for any liquid that manages to get inside.....
Old 02-10-2023, 11:09 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I've also seen some drains with what appeared to be tape over them. Not an issue.

The propane hose issue isn't good now and will only get worse. Over time the hose becomes brittle and the first cracking will occur at the sharp bend.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 11:25 AM   #4
DT6

So it appears I have a warranty claim with Escape with respect to the hose?
Old 02-10-2023, 01:04 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 17B
I know I would. It looks like a problem in waiting at worst, or just poor craftsmanship at best.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 01:05 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
The hole is legitimate, the hose is an illegitimate use of a too short hose. Send Escape a photo and your address and ask for a new hose. Hopefully they will make it right. Use soapy water or “super bubbles” with a dauber from the hardware store to check for leaks.
That’s what I would do. Kinked anything is never good.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-10-2023, 01:24 PM   #7

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
I think a street 90 would solve the propane issue if you’re able to do the work.
Jwinfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 01:35 PM   #8
SRS

Trailer: 2022 Escape 17A, 2021 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
The pontoon drain holes are normal. My 2022 17 has several. As other have said, the hose shouldn't look like that. Contact Dustin in Parts & Service with a photo and I'm sure they will make it right by either sending a replacement or compensating you for a new hose to be made and installed. They may want bids though. I've had several issues and Dustin has been very helpful.
SRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 01:41 PM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
I see these holes on several escapes. I never did get a straight answer on what there from. some say drain hold but on a lot of the trailers there caulked over. looks like yours was caulked over then opened back up. The propane hose is just A example of get done and out the door. See what ETI says after seeing photos, but you will probably have to do the repair yourself. Let me reword that it might be the easiest solution to do the repair yourself As Jwinfrey suggested a street 90 would solve the problem.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 01:56 PM   #10
DT6

Thanks for the replies everyone! I think I've mentioned before that we had a LOT of QC issues during delivery, but I missed this one because I didn't see the need to crawl around in the gravel in the Escape parking lot. Now I know better. I also think I've reached a point where I can finally talk to the other QC issues in the next few weeks in a more normal and polite conversant tone (yep the delivery in October was that bad).

Due to the issues I have had, I think my plan is to have them pay for a replacement installation. I've never done much work with propane and don't really like the idea of learning on my rig. I know, soapy water, check for bubbles, but having to work that under a trailer for the first time is not confidence inspiring. If it were water instead of propane, I'd be all in, but until I am confident I've mastered something sufficiently I usually defer to someone more experienced to do the job. Thanks again everyone, you are all awesome!

I'm going to send a picture to Samuel and have him forward it to the appropriate individual.
Old 02-10-2023, 06:29 PM   #11

Trailer: 2021 5.0
As someone has said Dustin in parts is the person to ask. partsandservice@escapetrailer.com

In the meantime can you trace the line back, might be a reason it’s now too short. Maybe you can find the needed slack to smooth things out.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 07:40 PM   #12

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
That’s kinky!

splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 07:46 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Kinky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
That’s kinky!

Wish I had said that
Old 02-10-2023, 08:24 PM   #14

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT6 View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone! I think I've mentioned before that we had a LOT of QC issues during delivery, but I missed this one because I didn't see the need to crawl around in the gravel in the Escape parking lot. Now I know better. I also think I've reached a point where I can finally talk to the other QC issues in the next few weeks in a more normal and polite conversant tone (yep the delivery in October was that bad).

Due to the issues I have had, I think my plan is to have them pay for a replacement installation. I've never done much work with propane and don't really like the idea of learning on my rig. I know, soapy water, check for bubbles, but having to work that under a trailer for the first time is not confidence inspiring. If it were water instead of propane, I'd be all in, but until I am confident I've mastered something sufficiently I usually defer to someone more experienced to do the job. Thanks again everyone, you are all awesome!

I'm going to send a picture to Samuel and have him forward it to the appropriate individual.
Hopefully you can find someone willing to work on it. I know locally of the 8 RV places I contacted none would work on a trailer in less it was bought from them. It is said to hear about the continuing Quilty control issues. Most of the problems I have seen posted could have been avoided with a simply pre delivery inspection. Life is short so try to enjoy the trailer.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 11:16 AM   #15
DT6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
Hopefully you can find someone willing to work on it. I know locally of the 8 RV places I contacted none would work on a trailer in less it was bought from them. It is said to hear about the continuing Quilty control issues. Most of the problems I have seen posted could have been avoided with a simply pre delivery inspection. Life is short so try to enjoy the trailer.
We are fortunate that our nearby CampingWorld in Wilsonville, OR has a decent repair shop (at least that has been my experience on two occasions). We also have a Bish RV shop near Eugene, OR that did a nice job adjusting my brakes once.

You are correct that most of the QC issues could have been avoided with a pre-delivery inspection. Escape now provides a postcard like note in your new trailer when you take delivery, and it is titled "Inspected by". Mine was unsigned. I know these things are normally not signed when I see them in product boxes, but I didn't find this inspection card until several weeks after delivery, and I had to sit down because I was laughing so hard. So at least I got a laugh. Yep, life is short - laugh, love, be kind, and enjoy!
Old 02-11-2023, 05:59 PM   #16

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Quote:
Escape now provides a postcard like note in your new trailer when you take delivery, and it is titled "Inspected by". Mine was unsigned. I know these things are normally not signed when I see them in product boxes, but I didn't find this inspection card until several weeks after delivery, and I had to sit down because I was laughing so hard. So at least I got a laugh. Yep, life is short - laugh, love, be kind, and enjoy!
I have yet to find any inspection card in our trailer. We have had a few things that slipped through the cracks, and one we still gotta deal with.

Good to know they are inspecting them now.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 11:36 PM   #17
DT6

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
I have yet to find any inspection card in our trailer. We have had a few things that slipped through the cracks, and one we still gotta deal with.

Good to know they are inspecting them now.
The reason I was laughing was that by all appearances no one had inspected the trailer, but I guess they think they get points for appearing to have done an inspection. From all the stuff we had to take care of it seemed they just tossed an unsigned card on the counter and walked away. While I'm finally glad we have the 21C, our 19 was build better back in 2018, and if we had it to do all over again, I'd look for a used one from 2018 back, maybe 2019 before the new ownership messed too much with the assembly line.
Old 02-12-2023, 02:04 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:

I'd look for a used one from 2018 back, maybe 2019 before the new ownership messed too much with the assembly line.

I keep seeing this kind of statement, that it was the Days of Wine and Roses before the current ownership took over.

Well, first of all, what was different, was the percentage of owners who were Canadian. They tended to not post negative things and especially, make a career out of posting the same complaints over and over again. There were two situations in that era that I know of personally that were never posted online and would curl your toes.

I'm really hoping that one day this constant refrain of the good ol days will end.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 11:50 PM   #19

Trailer: WTB: E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I keep seeing this kind of statement, that it was the Days of Wine and Roses before the current ownership took over..
I'm really hoping that one day this constant refrain of the good ol days will end.

Ron
Oh really Ron....really?? Did things diminish in about 2016 according to you?https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post436687
Old 02-13-2023, 05:04 AM   #20

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
The best trailers ever

The best trailers ever, designed to leak. My 2007 17B leaked twice. Once the rubber for the fixed dinette window shrunk and a leak developed, the other time, the 9"x9" bath fan needed resealing. I always store my trailer nose down. The water from the leaks ran to the front corners dropped down into the pontoons and out the weeping holes you showed.

My 2020 19 had caulking on a few of the drain holes, I figured a new employee sealed them up. I did take a few minutes to trim the flooring at the front corners so water can get into the pontoons.

Our Escape, is the only trailer on the market that is really designed to handle a leak.