Two-part foam for underneath - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2017, 10:13 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape #2 - 2017 ‘21; 2018 Silverado 2500 (diesel, crew cab, long box, 4X4, SnugTop, air bags)
Two-part foam for underneath

A feral rodent in Arizona chewed away a section of spray foam from the bottom of my trailer, and I need to repair that section. The Service Lady at Escape said I need to purchase a 2-part spray foam from Home Depot or Lowes, but they don't carry what she recommended. Have any of you discovered a permanent, cost-effective way to repair that foam?
Jeff and Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:24 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Karen View Post
A feral rodent in Arizona chewed away a section of spray foam from the bottom of my trailer, and I need to repair that section. The Service Lady at Escape said I need to purchase a 2-part spray foam from Home Depot or Lowes, but they don't carry what she recommended. Have any of you discovered a permanent, cost-effective way to repair that foam?
Home Depot does carry a two component spray foam online.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Touch-n-F...2506/204352574
Old 07-30-2017, 10:40 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The two-part is polyurethane, but so is a single can of "Great Stuff." I wonder what's the difference and why it needs to be one rather than the other? I know I'd rather spend $5 than $40 to patch something...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:42 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
That 2 part foam can be pretty nasty stuff to deal with, especially if you have to spray it overhead. You need protection from the vapors and blowback. If the area is not too large, you could just use the expanding foam like this: Great Stuff PestBlock

This also has the advantage of containing ingredients that discourage further chewing by pests.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:50 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape #2 - 2017 ‘21; 2018 Silverado 2500 (diesel, crew cab, long box, 4X4, SnugTop, air bags)
Quote:
That should do the trick! Thanks, Rbryan4.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:55 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Karen View Post
That should do the trick! Thanks, Rbryan4.
You're welcome. Just make sure that you follow the directions for applying it. It's not like the spray foam in the can.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:45 AM   #7

Quote:
You're welcome. Just make sure that you follow the directions for applying it. It's not like the spray foam in the can.
Have you actually used it, Rbryan4? I assume it's tricky to apply. Does it expand after contact? Will I have to use a stir stick or putty knife to mold it to the correct shape?
Old 07-30-2017, 12:28 PM   #8
Site Team

I have used it. You don't tool it when applying it, just choose the appropriate spray pattern for the best build. It does expand as it's applied. It's similar to what Escape uses, thus their recommendation. Practice a bit on some scrap wood so you get an idea how it looks. If your mixing ratio is right, it will set up in less than a minute.

If you want to shape it afterwards, there's nothing that says you can't cut or shave it with a sharp knife once it has hardened. You probably won't need to. Just hit it with some black paint once it's cured.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:31 PM   #9

Quote:
I have used it. You don't tool it when applying it, just choose the appropriate spray pattern for the best build. It does expand as it's applied. It's similar to what Escape uses, thus their recommendation. Practice a bit on some scrap wood so you get an idea how it looks. If your mixing ratio is right, it will set up in less than a minute.

If you want to shape it afterwards, there's nothing that says you can't cut or shave it with a sharp knife once it has hardened. You probably won't need to. Just hit it with some black paint once it's cured.
Perfect. Thanks.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:07 PM   #10

Trailer: 5.0
Does anyone know if you can apply an automotive undercoat to the foam instead of paint? Al
Not so Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 02:49 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not so Big Al View Post
Does anyone know if you can apply an automotive undercoat to the foam instead of paint? Al
If you're talking about the stuff they spray in truck beds Al, the answer is probably yes, because they're both poly based. But, I doubt you'll find the commercial grade undercoating/bed liner in a store. It's sold to trained installers.
Old 07-30-2017, 03:44 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
One-can foam (such as Great Stuff) oozes out of the straw already foamed. Where the straw can be placed right into a restricted space to be filled - such as the cracks for which it is intended - this works fine; however, I've found that trying to add a layer of foam to anything this way is a goopy mess.

Two-part foam (such as that recommended by Escape) sprays out of the nozzle as liquid and foams on contact with the surface. While this means that overspray is an issue, it must be better for adding a layer of foam or filling a large cavity (any more than a couple of centimetres across).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not so Big Al View Post
Does anyone know if you can apply an automotive undercoat to the foam instead of paint?
Aftermarket rustproofing undercoat comes in a thin oily version that needs reapplication, which I wouldn't consider putting on anything I own; I doubt it's compatible with spray foam. It also comes in a thicker tarry version which was on one car we bought used; it might work on the foam, but I wouldn't want that stuff on anything I ever intended to touch.

Factory-applied underbody coatings include materials that are thick and elastic, but strong and not sticky; chip guard rocker panel coatings are similar. That might be okay, but it is for application on rigid surfaces; I'm guessing that the chip guard might still work better than an ordinary paint or a heavy bedliner.

Quote:
If you're talking about the stuff they spray in truck beds Al, the answer is probably yes, because they're both poly base.
Bed liner is pretty heavy stuff to apply to a soft foam surface. It is somewhat elastic, but I would expect it to tear without a reasonably solid surface under it. It works for bed lining and rock chip protection, but those applications are always on stamped metal or moulded composite surfaces.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:37 PM   #14
Site Team

When you say "tear" Brian, do you mean detach from the foam? I suppose it would, if it was applied in too thick a layer. My answer had more to do with chemical compatibility, rather than suitability. Personally I'd just repaint the foam.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:03 PM   #15

Trailer: 5.0
Thanks for your ideas on this> I guess repaint it is.
Not so Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 05:55 PM   #16

Quote:
When you say "tear" Brian, do you mean detach from the foam.
Sure, or stay attached to the foam, but develop tears of the coating and the underlying foam.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:04 PM   #17

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
Two part spray foam has a curing agent in the mix so you can fill large areas. Single component polyurethane spray foam relies on moisture in the air to cure, so if you put it on too thick, the outside shell dries but inside it turns to goo and never dries properly. Single part spray would be fine, just use multiple layers, letting it dry completely between applications. Clean the applicator well with the recommended product between applications. Use gloves. Polyurethane does not come off your hands until your skin peels
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:12 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Speaking from experience, I would carefully read this: http://www.demilec.com/documents/Tec...and-safety.pdf

Lots of places will gladly sell you 2 part foam kits, but there are reasons they are clearly marked For Professional Use Only.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote