Uneven tire wear - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2021, 10:27 AM   #41

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Nope, no automatic brake adjusters. We have to manually adjust our brakes.
That's good. When the automatic brake adjusters work, they work well. Our Lance had automatic brake adjusters on the Dexter axles, and when we got the trailer it only had one working brake, the others weren't adjusting or that one was adjusting too much. The Lance's auto-adjusters were removed by our mechanic and manuals were installed.

Since I'm getting older, I no longer adjust brakes or pack wheel bearings. We take the trailer in to a place that only works on trailer axles. He has no time for Dexter's auto-adjusters, nor their EZ-Lube. I've only ever adjusted brakes about once every 10-15,000 miles and have yet to have a problem in 16 campers. Our 5.0 has manual adjusters.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 03-17-2021, 01:56 PM   #42
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Make sure you remember to follow the re torquing guidelines at 100 miles and then again at 250 miles. 95 pounds of torque (use star pattern). 50 pounds of pressure (psi) in the tire is what Reace suggests in a video.

I think that (100 then 250) is what Escape advises. I had to do it twice.
Excellent reminder and timely for this thread. Thanks UncleTim. We did remember to re-torque and sure enough, on our little get-away this past weekend to test things out, a few lug nuts were indeed loose! I mentioned this before, but my sister lost a trailer wheel (the whole wheel rolled off) on the highway (very scary) since she was not aware of the need to re-torque with new tires. Her (sticky) trailer has not been the same since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
That's good. When the automatic brake adjusters work, they work well. Our Lance had automatic brake adjusters on the Dexter axles, and when we got the trailer it only had one working brake, the others weren't adjusting or that one was adjusting too much. The Lance's auto-adjusters were removed by our mechanic and manuals were installed.

Since I'm getting older, I no longer adjust brakes or pack wheel bearings. We take the trailer in to a place that only works on trailer axles. He has no time for Dexter's auto-adjusters, nor their EZ-Lube. I've only ever adjusted brakes about once every 10-15,000 miles and have yet to have a problem in 16 campers. Our 5.0 has manual adjusters.

Enjoy,

Perry
Great report. Really appreciate this. Thanks, -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 03:11 PM   #43

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Can't tell you how many times I watched that You Tube video on how to adjust the brakes but just could't figure out what exactly that guy was doing with that screwdriver or tool behind the wheel.
In the hope that a picture is worth at least a thousand words, what you are doing with your tool is turning a theaded rod by engaging small spurs on wheel. It depends what angle you are getting on the spurs - you may lever up or down on the side, or push directly on the top or bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
drum brake.jpg  
Attached Images

sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 09:57 AM   #44
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherminator View Post
In the hope that a picture is worth at least a thousand words, what you are doing with your tool is turning a theaded rod by engaging small spurs on wheel. It depends what angle you are getting on the spurs - you may lever up or down on the side, or push directly on the top or bottom.
Your explanation and pictures were very helpful Sherminator! I understand the concept now, thank you! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 06:07 PM   #45

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Bite low and rock back on the handle of the brake spoon or screwdriver to tighten the shoes against the brake drum . Take a paint pen and mark on the backing plate T and an arrow up and L and an arrow down to indicate the direction the adjusting wheel needs to be turned. When you pull the brake drum to service the bearings. Give the adjusting threads a shot of
CRC 556 or Tri-Flo so it will turn easier. If you have dust covers on the adjusting slots put paint on the one that aligns with the adjusting wheel so you’re not dancing in the dark. And feeling nothing.
Iowa Dave