Uneven tire wear - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2023, 09:54 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
Uneven tire wear

When leaving the rally I discovered that the rear driver's side tire was badly worn on the inside (see pics). The other three tires were also unevenly worn, but not as much. I put the spare on, but am worried it will soon follow. In a car, I'd suspect poor alignment, but can the axles on my 21C be aligned, and who would be able to check? Probably have to buy a new set of tires now as well. The worn ones only have about 15 000km on them over 3 years. Any recommendations for how to address the wear issue, and/or recommendations for replacement tires, plus where to get them (eg tire store or RV repair shop)?
Attached Thumbnails
Tire1.jpeg   Tire2.jpeg   Tire3.jpeg  
NoSOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 10:25 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSOD View Post
When leaving the rally I discovered that the rear driver's side tire was badly worn on the inside (see pics). The other three tires were also unevenly worn, but not as much. I put the spare on, but am worried it will soon follow. In a car, I'd suspect poor alignment, but can the axles on my 21C be aligned, and who would be able to check? Probably have to buy a new set of tires now as well. The worn ones only have about 15 000km on them over 3 years. Any recommendations for how to address the wear issue, and/or recommendations for replacement tires, plus where to get them (eg tire store or RV repair shop)?
I have read that uneven tire wear can indicate problems with the Dexter axle. Some companies have had recalls for warped axles (I know of inTech for one).

That bare patch on one of your tires suggests serious imbalance, and maybe a brake problem, too. I'd suggest getting a professional opinion.

I just noticed that I've got excessive wear on the outside of my driver's-side rear and passenger-side front tires, but not the others. No idea what this signifies. I'm hoping to ignore it until next year, when the original tires will be five years old and more-or-less 'due' for replacement. But, like you, I'd appreciate advice.

Last time I bought trailer tires (for my single-axle Casita) I got Goodyear Endurances from eTrailer, took the wheels off myself, and had my local auto shop mount and balance the tires. That'll be more work for my tandem-axle Escape, so I'd be tempted to let someone else do it—maybe an RV shop that's about 20 miles away.
Old 06-04-2023, 11:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape E19
I had a similar situation on the same tire position. I was also told it was the axle but when I lifted that wheel using the Andersen rapid jack, there was some play in the wheel and it so I had the wheel bearings replaced. Got some new tires and so far so good - 1800 km’s on Goodyear Endurance and no visible excess wear on the outside tread.
MarkinVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 03:49 AM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
These axles are rather crude fabrications. If you have tire wear under 5000 miles, it is likely a bent axle. To my knowledge the axle cannot be repairs with out removing it and putting it on a fixture. If your tires are 5 years old, just put new ones on. If its wearing the tires fast, time for a new axle.
Old 06-05-2023, 06:44 AM   #5

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Within 8 months from new our 5.0 had both axles replaced. The spindles were welded incorrectly on “Hangover Monday.” I called many axle shops and all but one said they can’t properly be realigned. One would realign, but there would be no warranty. Look at Dexter axles as consumables. The new axles had over 36,000 miles on them when we sold the 5.0 and the tires wore evenly.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 08:09 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Many factors enter into uneven tire wear.
Some are controllable by the owner.
Start there
1: Continual monitoring of tire pressures
2: Do your best not to hit potholes and slow way down for railroad crossing and other road anomaly notifications (bumps, dips, etc.)
3: Balanced tires
4. Inspection and lubrication of bearings
VERY IMPORTANT : proper seating of the bearings after lubrication. Tighten down to seat the bearings and the thrust washer, then back off and snug down so wheel turns freely but has no play when you rock it too and bottom or side to side. After you back the nut off after you’ve backed the nut off 5 to seat the assembly (bearings and washer) then Hand tighten or a very light tug with a wrench.

Bent axle is possible and happens regularly. Call around and find a frame and.axle shop that can and does work on trailers. They can measure up and advise you. They are superior to 99% of camper dealerships in my not so humble opinion.

You can slither under your trailer and using some logic and a tape measure on tire rim distances, tops and bottoms, and can sometimes determine the suspicion of a bent or improperly installed axle. If you do this and have to jack the trailer up make sure you have adequate jack stands and experience using them.

You’ll get more opinions and options. Such as replacement of bearings, regular tire rotation, even side to side loading, towning level, bent wheel rim, etc.

The running gear on these trailers is like a concert, all the components have to do their part or your towing music is not so pretty.
Right or wrong, regularly towing trailers years ago was largely relegated to people who did it as part of their job or a military assignment. As times changed more and more people got camping trailers, boat trailers, utility trailers, snowmobile trailers…. You get the idea. Unfortunately maintenance education has not been widely practiced resulting in disappointments and expensive repairs.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-05-2023, 09:17 AM   #7

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Bent axle is possible and happens regularly. Call around and find a frame and.axle shop that can and does work on trailers. They can measure up and advise you. They are superior to 99% of camper dealerships in my not so humble opinion.
Agree!

I gave up on camper dealerships a few decades ago. 1% is just not good enough.

We use an axle shop that mainly works on utility/construction trailers. He installs at least a Dexter axle a week, and personally works on our trailers

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 12:36 PM   #8

Trailer: 21
When was the last time your bearings were repacked. It’s possible the spindle nut wasn’t tightened enough . Just a thought
Old 06-05-2023, 12:43 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
When was the last time your bearings were repacked. It’s possible the spindle nut wasn’t tightened enough . Just a thought
Agree with that and that certainly can cause uneven tire wear. Has there ever been a bearing service and brake adjustment?

Many times problems are a result of more than one cause. It looks like one picture shows a bald spot from locking up, which will happen if the brakes are out of adjustment and the actuator makes the forward shoe slap against the drum because of too much travel.
Old 06-06-2023, 10:01 AM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 19, Tradewinds 24, Escape 5.0
We had similar wear on our first trip in our used 5.0. Had just repacked the bearings and adjusted the brakes.

Just to be sure i wasn’t going to get stuck somewhere I pulled the cover on the spare and found that it had the same wear. So, the issue certainly predated my maintenance. And we made it home before it got too dire.

We replaced both axles and all four tires. Have had no issues since. It was likely overkill, but I wanted them to be the same age.

Agree on finding a non-rv person to do the work. We have a good relationship with our local welders and have always gotten good service. They were a bit confused on why we brought them a bolt-in job, but I trust them to get it right whether it’s welded or bolted in.

Just got back from a 3000 mi trip and the tires still look new.
Keith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 05:30 PM   #11

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
I have a 2019 E19 and had the same issue. I determined the tire was under inflated at 50lbs and increased tire pressure to 55-58lbs. Its the side with all the weight of the water and grey tanks so I determined its over weighted to that side. Since then, I rotate the tires at 5,000 or 10,000 miles and have had even wear. I had the axles checked, but they were not bent. I've got 25,000 on my second set and there has not been any uneven wear with this maintenance plan. I'll put on my third set of tires this fall.
lostskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 08:41 PM   #12

Verdict

Thank to all for the advice. I took the trailer into Standens, who do lots of suspension work on trailer of all kinds, and they did an alignment, plus replaced that worn tire with another Carlisle one like those originally on the trailer (the only ones they had). I had another place repack the bearings and check brakes at the end of last season, and I have to assume they did it properly. I am quite envious of members who have a nice big level space to work on their trailers themselves. I have a steeply-sloped driveway, and a bylaw forbidding storage of a trailer on it anyway. I have taken it to the storage place for now. One other trip planned this season, and I might replace the other original tires before that. Have also bought my own Fathers' Day present- a cordless impact wrench.
Old 06-14-2023, 11:18 PM   #13

Trailer: New skool escape 21
I recently went through this ordeal, and ended up getting my axle warrantied by Dexter, they have a 10 year warranty I believe. My tire was wearing on the outside edge on only one tire which is bent axle with no repairs possible only replace. SMH

It's sad how crappy all the components that get bolted on the sweet escape trailers Love the fiberglass trailer but sadly all the RV grade components are as crappy as the stick frame trailers.
Attached Thumbnails
image002.jpg  
yxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 08:16 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by yxan View Post
I recently went through this ordeal, and ended up getting my axle warrantied by Dexter, they have a 10 year warranty I believe. My tire was wearing on the outside edge on only one tire which is bent axle with no repairs possible only replace. SMH

It's sad how crappy all the components that get bolted on the sweet escape trailers Love the fiberglass trailer but sadly all the RV grade components are as crappy as the stick frame trailers.
There are options that Escape could choose, but probably would add significantly to the price. Oliver, for instance, uses springs (independent suspension?) and light-truck tires, and marine-grade fixtures inside.

I'm getting outside-edge wear on two tires, on opposite sides of different axles. How did you determine that the Dexter axle was at fault?
Old 06-15-2023, 08:28 AM   #15

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
I'm getting outside-edge wear on two tires, on opposite sides of different axles. How did you determine that the Dexter axle was at fault?
Before you take it to a shop, try measuring the front of the rim on the rear axle to the front of the front rim on the front axle on both sides of the trailer and compare those. They should be within about 1/8".
Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 08:29 AM   #16

Trailer: New skool escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
There are options that Escape could choose, but probably would add significantly to the price. Oliver, for instance, uses springs (independent suspension?) and light-truck tires, and marine-grade fixtures inside.

Snap a pic of it, send to Dexter and open a warranty case. I just got my axle installed not even a week ago, I have had this tire wear crooked ever since I bought trailer, didn't even consider it could be bent as I just couldn't imagine that. I just kept seeing this weird wear and then be like "but it doesn't have camber adjustments, how can this happen to a solid steel axle"

The serial number is on the axle, which you need to get, and then all the information is easily retrieved and you are on your way
yxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 12:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by yxan View Post

I absolutely agree with you, in many respects our Escapes are no better than other brands with components made by the usual suppliers. To add insult to injury in my case I am not the original owner, so none of the warranties apply, including Dexter's for the axle, Go-Power for the controller that won't allow remote switching of the converter any more, Max Fan for the control board that quit working, but kept on beeping, and Escape themselves for the leaking black tank pipe and gate valve assembly that had to be replaced. At least the stove recall was covered, but that is quite a long list of things that have gone wrong in the 3 years we've had the trailer. It does seem a bit unethical to back out of a warranty if the original owner sells. I know we all accept that, but why should that make any difference to the longevity of a product?
What we do have as Escape owners is this forum, which is a great benefit!
Old 06-15-2023, 01:46 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
I absolutely agree with you, in many respects our Escapes are no better than other brands with components made by the usual suppliers. To add insult to injury in my case I am not the original owner, so none of the warranties apply, including Dexter's for the axle, Go-Power for the controller that won't allow remote switching of the converter any more, Max Fan for the control board that quit working, but kept on beeping, and Escape themselves for the leaking black tank pipe and gate valve assembly that had to be replaced. . .
Dexter has a 10-year warranty but won't honor second owners?

Alas, we are also not original owners, either.