Unobtainable Control Module Failures - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2022, 07:43 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
a silicon diode in series will result in a 0.6V DC voltage drop, that will turn 13.6V which will charge a battery into 13.0V which won't charge a battery.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 08:50 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Hey John! Is that any battery? I've been camping last two weeks and would see as low as 12.4 and next day was back to 13.8 with my 2 Interstate 6V Old-School lead acid batts.
Old 07-24-2022, 08:56 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
ok, as few things... seeing 13.8 suggests either the power converter or a solar panel is charging the battery, or just finished charging it. to measure the charge state of a lead acid battery, you need to disconnect any charging or loads, and wait an hour or two for the battery to achieve its rest voltage. a fully charged lead acid battery at rest at 68F is about 12.6 volts, one that's 50% discharged is about 12.1V at rest. under a heavy load, you'll see a lower voltage, and of course if a charger is connected, you'll see a higher voltage. The battery doesn't actually charge significantly unless the charging voltage is 1.0-1.2V higher than the battery rest voltage.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 10:31 PM   #24

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
a silicon diode in series will result in a 0.6V DC voltage drop, that will turn 13.6V which will charge a battery into 13.0V which won't charge a battery.
Never thought of that. I have solar to charge the batteries so I think I will be ok in that regard. Thanks for the info.
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 10:40 AM   #25

Trailer: 2018 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
These kinds of issues with domestic trucks (I was a Ford mechanic for 18 years) is why I tow with a Toyota.
Toyota myay still be in business in 15 years.
Ford and GM, probably not.
rotorbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 10:44 AM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Gimme a break- Ford will overtake Tesla with Electric Car sales before you know it.
Old 07-26-2022, 05:44 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Since I first posted this thread six days ago, 3 very good things have happened:

1. Alan E. (Centex) offered to take me back to Toledo to get my trailer, with his truck that has an Andersen hitch just like mine.

2. I took the advice of Stephen (stephen99) and sent an email to Mary Barra at GM asking for help. Today I got a phone call from the GM Executive Resolution Liaison telling me that she was putting high priority on getting us the part we need.

3. I continued to call part sources identified by Google and was referred to a GM dealer near Fargo North Dakota. They said they had the part and are shipping it to me today. I plan to verify that it is correct and then ship it to the dealer in Toledo.

Thank you to Alan, Stephen, and everyone else who offered advice or encouragement. We’re not out of the woods yet but I’m confident we will get there, much sooner than I expected.
gmchamplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 05:51 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmchamplin View Post
Since I first posted this thread six days ago, 3 very good things have happened:

1. Alan E. (Centex) offered to take me back to Toledo to get my trailer, with his truck that has an Andersen hitch just like mine.

2. I took the advice of Stephen (stephen99) and sent an email to Mary Barra at GM asking for help. Today I got a phone call from the GM Executive Resolution Liaison telling me that she was putting high priority on getting us the part we need.

3. I continued to call part sources identified by Google and was referred to a GM dealer near Fargo North Dakota. They said they had the part and are shipping it to me today. I plan to verify that it is correct and then ship it to the dealer in Toledo.

Thank you to Alan, Stephen, and everyone else who offered advice or encouragement. We’re not out of the woods yet but I’m confident we will get there, much sooner than I expected.
Good to hear the email worked. I have an update to my situation as well. The local dealer has received the turbocharger and is just waiting on a couple small parts needed for the job. The total price is close to $3200 and I only need to pay $1600. GM is picking up the rest. Still don't have a drivable truck but we are getting closer.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 06:03 PM   #29

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmchamplin View Post
3. I continued to call part sources identified by Google and was referred to a GM dealer near Fargo North Dakota. They said they had the part and are shipping it to me today. I plan to verify that it is correct and then ship it to the dealer in Toledo...
Thanks for the call about this very encouraging development Gary!

Obviously getting your entire rig home is the best for you, we'll keep our fingers crossed while the contingency plan remains in place pending more good news.

Old 07-27-2022, 10:17 AM   #30

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
My Ohio house is a couple of hours from Toledo. Message me if you'd like to have me swing by and winterize the trailer for you come October. I'm currently in WA, but, should be back in OH mid-October.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 10:27 AM   #31

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by yangstyle View Post
As far as the voltage causing a problem, I have a feeling that I am having an issue with my setup possibly causing an electrical issue with my truck.
I have a 2018 F150 5.0 and my 21 C has 2 solar panels on it. I have an intermittent trouble with my Air Conditioner in our F150 at times where it will cause the AC to all of a sudden slow down the fan and stop working. It has only happened when towing, never when not towing but I don't put on a lot of miles not towing.
I bought a diode I am going to install just to check and see if somehow too much voltage is feeding back into the truck.
Went camping last week, 2 hour drive each way and before travelling I shut off the solar and had no issues.
I have to figure out where to install the diode as I dont think I can put it under the dinette seat as I believe that power is back fed to the emergency brake and the power jack at the front, I haven't looked at it yet.
Long story short, I am guessing there might be a problem and figure a $20 diode is a cheap fix if that is the issue, it it isn't then no big loss.
Hope you find out your problem.
I have an T-Mobile Sync-Up Drive that monitors battery voltage via the OBD port. I always show increased voltage when towing my 2020 Escape 19 with a single solar panel. So, I assume I'm getting voltage feedback from the trailer to my Sprinter. It hasn't caused me any issues, but, I see how it might.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 10:50 AM   #32

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
I have a 2017 Canyon diesel and I have had I think 5 DEF related issues, be it heaters or sensors. So about once a year I get a check engine light and this last one I got a warning the DEF fluid was poor quality and in 100 miles I would be in limp mode. The DEF was fine, it was a sensor. This is part of the reason I have new gas truck, awaiting delivery. I have enjoyed the fuel economy of the Canyon, and issues most certainly will arise with the new gas truck, just not DEF issues.
Jeremy Kessenich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 11:38 AM   #33

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA
Car-part.com

Searchable Nationwide salvage yard website.
Scambo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 11:47 AM   #34

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
A cautionary tale. Most “modern” vehicles have so many electronic features that can permanently cripple the vehicle years down the road when they eventually fail.

My 2001 Dodge diesel recently had an ABS board failure. When I checked with a Dodge/Ram dealership, they just laughed at me. “We don’t stock electronics for vehicles that old!” On further investigation, I discovered that an ABS controller is specifically programmed to each vehicle - production model and year, rear axle ratio, wheel size, 2 vs 4 wheel drive, whether it has cruise control, the PCM and firmware it talks to, etc and onwards. Even if you were able to fine a like part in stock, good luck finding someone who knows how to program it.

I was eventually able to find an outfit in Moscow ID that (along other things), does board-level repairs on ABS units (modulemaster.com). $130 plus shipping and a few weeks later, my rebuilt unit is installed and I am running again. I have to confess I am relieved. It a shame to retire an otherwise well maintained vehicle.

Now we are entering the age of “computers on wheels”, just how many years can we expect to keep them on the road?
suncoastdancers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 12:16 PM   #35

Trailer: pending
Hi,
I live in Toronto but my daughter lives in Toledo and I am there often. Going tomorrow as a matter of fact. If there is any assistance I can give you, let me know.
Dee Lirious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 12:36 PM   #36

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
I don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorbudd View Post
Toyota myay still be in business in 15 years.
Ford and GM, probably not.

Predictions are tough to make.......especially about the future. Yogi Berra
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 01:50 PM   #37

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 pulled by GMC Canyon Diesel.
I had the same issue over a year ago with my 2016 Canyon Duramax, since sold along with the E-19 :-(
That story is for another day.
My GMC Dealership, Myers Orleans, ruined my weekend with a totally incompetent service advisor insisting that it was not under warranty, not even my "Cadillac" version of the GM Extended Warranty, the really expensive one. He had taken the trouble to check everything, all the computers and so on and I was out of luck. Too bad.
I read the warranty's short paper version and the only exclusions were brakes, lights and so on. The DEF heater was certainly not excluded.
After a short discussion with a service manager, everything was tickety-boo, no big deal and we are sorry for the confusion.
I wrote to GM Canada complaining and never, ever heard back.
Still, I loved that truck and would buy another in a NY Minute, you know if ever.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. Mark Twain
JPSpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 10:10 AM   #38

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Update:
I received the DEF system Control Module from Dahlstrom Motors in Oslo Minnesota and sent it on to Ballas GMC in Toledo. They installed it, tested it, and confirmed to me that everything is now working. After waiting to see our granddaughter perform in The Sound of Music we will head back to Toledo to resume our trip.

The GM Executive Resolution staff continued to offer help, but it was not needed. I am very happy, and grateful, for this outcome.
gmchamplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 10:50 AM   #39

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Glad to hear you’re going to get back in the road again. Hope the rest of your trip
Goes smoothly and without any additional complications of any kind.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-03-2022, 12:16 PM   #40

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
That's great news, Gary, enjoy your continuing travels!