Unwinterizing, anode won't go back in, help! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2021, 11:24 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Unwinterizing, anode won't go back in, help!

Trying to reinsert the anode and cannot get it started into the threads. Just isn't catching. Is it traditional righty-tighty?
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:33 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Yeah, it is tight.Keep trying and use that white tape for plumbing.
Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:37 AM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Trying to reinsert the anode and cannot get it started into the threads. Just isn't catching. Is it traditional righty-tighty?

Yes right hand thread. It should be put back in in the fall and in place over the winter to prevent this problem. what happens is the female threads rust over the winter. I would try some steel wool to clean up the threads , and remove the Teflon tape just to get it started . After you get the in one time you can remove and put the Teflon tape back on. good luck
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:38 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post

I use a deep socket and 5-inch extension. I fill the socket with coins to the point that I can adjust and maintain position and pressure on the anode.

Wrap Teflon tape counter-clockwise a couple times.
Attached Thumbnails
Anode socket.jpg  
Old 03-08-2021, 11:42 AM   #5

It isn't tight to turn, I can't get it to catch. It seems too loose. I'm pushing in, have new teflon tape.
Old 03-08-2021, 11:45 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The weight of the anode makes it want to tip down. Tip it up slightly and use your hand to start the threading. You don't want to get it cross-threaded. Then you can use the socket wrench to tighten it down. AND, it only needs to be tight enough where it doesn't leak.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:53 AM   #7

i can't get my fat fingers in there to position the anode, which is why I use the socket, extension and coins.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:55 PM   #8

All fixed, thanks to Dave and a few of the aforementioned tricks.
Old 03-08-2021, 02:52 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Good to hear you got it. I have a "special" small stone I keep on the windowsill in the garage which I put into the socket (like Glenn does with coins), then it goes in easy-peasy.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 05:14 PM   #10

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I use a deep socket and 5-inch extension. I fill the socket with coins to the point that I can adjust and maintain position and pressure on the anode.

There is some definite value to Glenn's technique. However, I can't calculate the value without knowing which coins....
Old 03-08-2021, 05:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
There is some definite value to Glenn's technique. However, I can't calculate the value without knowing which coins....

Whatever is in my pocket, loons and toons ( pre-Covid ). Not much use for them these days.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:31 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Diameter

Quote:
As wayward yutes growing up on Young’s Hill we were anything but wealthy. We were however, resourceful. We learned that 00 buckshot out of pure lead could be flattened to the exact diameter of an American nickel with a 24 ounce ballpein hammer and a smooth granite stone delivered by the Wisconsin glacier. Drop the slug in the slot, turn the handle, open the lid, handful of nuts or candy delivered, out the door. And down the street. You don’t need coins to get the job done. Now it would be called a Candy hack. Personally, I pinch the head of the bolt, tip it up a little, push it till threads contact, turn my wrist and screw it in. Three to four wraps of Teflon.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-08-2021, 11:17 PM   #13

Brings to mind. We were in about grade four. Had to cross the tracks to get to school. There was a jigger alongside the track and there was a large box of staples, about the circumference and colour of a penny.

We placed them on the track ( as we had no pennies ) and waited for the grain train.
I swear that engine jumped an inch off the track when it hit the staples. Engineer was waving to us at the time. Wasn't waving after that.

I have no idea what metal those staples were made of, but they were barely dented.

Playing on the tracks was just something you did in Whitewood, Saskatchewan in 1959 ( and probably still is ).
Old 03-09-2021, 11:54 AM   #14

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Playing on the tracks was just something you did in Whitewood, Saskatchewan in 1959 ( and probably still is ).
It wasn't just on the prairies Glenn. Even on West Island of Montreal we put pennies on the tracks, there were four of them, tracks that is, two CN and two CP and lots of trains, both freight and passenger in those days.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 01:16 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:

Clockwise, always clockwise on right had threads.

Just one web reference.
https://home-building.wonderhowto.co...20it%20useless.

I have done lots of gas and water fittings, many, many times every year. Installing the tape clockwise has just become a natural move without thinking now.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 02:07 PM   #16

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Clockwise, always clockwise on right had threads.

Just one web reference.
https://home-building.wonderhowto.com/how-to/apply-teflon-tape-easy-way-0148890/#:~:text=It's%20real%20important%20to%20apply,whic h%20will%20render%20it%20useless.

I have done lots of gas and water fittings, many, many times every year. Installing the tape clockwise has just become a natural move without thinking now.
I don't get it. The guy in the video says to be sure and wind the tape clockwise on the threads, and in the middle of the video he proceeds to wind it counterclockwise (very neatly and properly). At least that's the way I see it. From my perspective, I think of the piece being screwed into place going clockwise (top goes to the right as you screw). Therefore, to my way of thinking, anything applied to the top of the threads and proceeding toward the left is counterclockwise. Yet "Uncle Knackers" is calling that very thing "clockwise." That makes no sense to me! His perspective seems to be opposite (turning the piece 180 degrees and thinking of it from the other end) and, IMO, counter-intuitive.
Old 03-09-2021, 02:39 PM   #17

You have to wrap opposite to the way it threads in or the tape will unwrap.

And, place your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel and move your hand left to have the trailer move to the left.
Old 03-09-2021, 03:35 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I don't get it. The guy in the video says to be sure and wind the tape clockwise on the threads, and in the middle of the video he proceeds to wind it counterclockwise (very neatly and properly). At least that's the way I see it. From my perspective, I think of the piece being screwed into place going clockwise (top goes to the right as you screw). Therefore, to my way of thinking, anything applied to the top of the threads and proceeding toward the left is counterclockwise. Yet "Uncle Knackers" is calling that very thing "clockwise." That makes no sense to me! His perspective seems to be opposite (turning the piece 180 degrees and thinking of it from the other end) and, IMO, counter-intuitive.
I never watched the video having done this thousands of times over the years. Basically, look at the end of pipe or any male threaded fitting needing sealant, and if they are right hand threads mama then the tape goes on in the same direction as tightening the female fitting does, which is clockwise.

You can try to twist the approach to this all you want, but at least the pros know what to do, at least the plumber teaching me did. [emoji4]
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:42 PM   #19

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
Yes right hand thread. It should be put back in in the fall and in place over the winter to prevent this problem. what happens is the female threads rust over the winter. I would try some steel wool to clean up the threads , and remove the Teflon tape just to get it started . After you get the in one time you can remove and put the Teflon tape back on. good luck
Great advice!!!
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:44 PM   #20

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
You have to wrap opposite to the way it threads in or the tape will unwrap.
Exactly. I've seen people in other videos wrap tape the wrong way and it worked, which it will if it is tight enough, but it makes no sense to do that.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote