Urgent: Furnace not working. Cold! - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2020, 03:31 PM   #41

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Beth and Bruce: To salvage your trip and to be able to continue without hookups consider picking up a Mr. Heater "Buddy" or "Big Buddy" portable propane heater. The smaller Buddy is 9,000 BTU/H on high and the Big Buddy is 9,000 BTU/H on medium which should be plenty as that equals the output of the stock Escape furnace. The smaller Buddy can run off a single 1# bottle and the Big Buddy runs on 2 bottles. Both models have low oxygen shutoff and tip over safety shut-off but you still should crack a window in a confined space like a trailer. I found that they are available in stock at some Ace Hardware stores in Wyoming....not sure if you are near Riverton, Worland or Lander but they show them in stock. If you give me some information of where you are I might be able to help zero you in one you can pick up during your travels.

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...eaters/4120747

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...eaters/4000358
Just be aware that for every gallon of propane used in a Buddy Heater, it adds a gallon of water to the interior of your trailer.

Buddy Heaters also require having window or vent open to provide enough oxygen. The danger from catalytic propane heaters is oxygen deprivation not carbon monoxide poisoning. I actually own one, and am lucky to be alive.

My recommendation is an inverter generator and an electric heater.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:37 AM   #42

Trailer: 2010 escape 19
Had similar problem with new furnace last year. Sail switch is readily acessable - first check if it is swinging when you take out to check that fan clears the combustion chamber. In my case it needed a adjustment of the ignitor which lies along the burner. If it does not spark then try bending it slightly closer to the burner until it sparks after the thermostat asks for heat. Every one initially suspects the circuit board however travel seems to jiggle ignihter out of adjustment. In a crisis us your long reach barbcue igniter to light the furnace
paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:40 AM   #43

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Two years into owning our Escape 19 we had the same experience. It ended up being the board. Based on recommendations here I ordered a dinosaur electronics board. I am glad I did. 5 years later, no problems since.

https://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/
jetalkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 11:09 AM   #44

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesPou View Post
hello Vermilye, thanks so much for posting vid about furnace. where are the others you mentioned, I would like to watch them too...
Here is a link to the "Home Page" of the Escape Trailer Industries videos. Many are general, but scroll down for the specific repair ones.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:59 AM   #45

Trailer: 2015 Dynamax DX3-37RB
Second vote for a "Buddy Heater". Unless you have a LARGE trailer, a small single bottle Buddy Heater should get the job done. They're small and easier to keep away from combustible things in your trailer. I bought a Big Buddy two years ago for my 39' diesel puller when temps were headed for single digits. The Big Buddy units can use two, one pound propane bottles which will last for four+ hours (and put out LOTS of heat). You can also get a fitting which will allow you to use larger propane bottles. If we were close, I'd sell you the unit I have but, I'm in KS right now. On ANY propane heater, be sure to follow the directions CLOSELY!
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 12:11 PM   #46

Trailer: 95 Scamp 13
Furnace not working

All - I had this issue on our 17 TA. Talked to a tech at Escape. If, In The past you have set the AC to run continuously, then you have to turn this feature off before starting the furnace for heat. There are instructions in the Dometic thermostat
vette5965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 02:32 PM   #47

Trailer: Escape 21C -2020 and 2003 Aliner
Heater out

hi -- just weighing in that i was using mr buddy propane heater for years as backup -- but found it being quiet i use it more and heat is awesome-- what is your battery health-- the heaters need a strong battery in order to fire the ignition-- fan draws little but i found my weak battery was not strong enough to fire the ignition-- replaced and have since watched my battery levels....i have also hooked my mr buddy to a small bulk tank with a filter.... filters are good and recommended ....
quidoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:02 AM   #48

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Boy, did we find that out! Condensation everywhere. Even in the cabinets and behind the dinette cushions. Got things dried out when we were finally able to plug in for a while.
Old 11-02-2020, 03:08 PM   #49

Trailer: Escape 21C -2020 and 2003 Aliner
this thread about the dometic heaters needs to be fixed on the manufacturers end -- why with a new or fairly new trailer are there seemingly all these heater problems-- i want to enjoy my life boondocking not worrying about equipment.... quality control or mass production needs addressing it would seem.... just wondering
quidoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 03:43 PM   #50

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by quidoi View Post
this thread about the dometic heaters needs to be fixed on the manufacturers end -- why with a new or fairly new trailer are there seemingly all these heater problems-- i want to enjoy my life boondocking not worrying about equipment.... quality control or mass production needs addressing it would seem.... just wondering
There's no doubt some folks had sail switch problems with their furnace and the previous requirement to have to pull the furnace to access it made the problem more of a nuisance.

But you have to keep it in perspective. Neither my 19 or 21 has ever had any heat problem and we have a small dog so we're not exempt because of not having pet hair etc.

You only read about the problems from folks who have them. For the vast majority of owners, lucky or not, the furnace does the job reliability.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 04:04 PM   #51

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
When we camp in the early Spring or late Fall we choose camp sites with electricity and take along a portable electric heater . Based on our experience , we do not rely on our Escape furnace to provide dependable heat .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 04:24 PM   #52

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have my home furnace serviced once a year, as recommended. I've not had my RV furnace serviced in 12 years, although the motor was replaced under warranty.
I wonder how many of those complaining of failures have had their furnace serviced?
Old 11-02-2020, 06:36 PM   #53

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
We have also been fortunate with our furnace. Never a problem. I bought a spare sail switch but dread having to change it since our 21 doesn't have the outside access panel. Also never had a problem with either the fridge or the water heater.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 07:23 PM   #54
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
But you have to keep it in perspective. Neither my 19 or 21 has ever had any heat problem and we have a small dog so we're not exempt because of not having pet hair etc.

You only read about the problems from folks who have them. For the vast majority of owners, lucky or not, the furnace does the job reliability.

Ron
Same here - 2014 -21 and 3 dogs; never had a sail switch issue.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:02 PM   #55

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Our 2010 19 and our 2013 21 both performed without fail every time we used the furnace both with the old style thermostat. When we have electrical hookup and it’s only looking like a light warmup will be needed in the camper we use an electric heater just to save the propane. If it’s a cold rainy night and we have been in the camper for an extended time we usually use the propane furnace. We have a dog with us at all times but have never had any problems with pet hair.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-02-2020, 08:12 PM   #56

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I have my home furnace serviced once a year, as recommended. I've not had my RV furnace serviced in 12 years, although the motor was replaced under warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Same here - 2014 -21 and 3 dogs; never had a sail switch issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Our 2010 19 and our 2013 21 both performed without fail every time we used the furnace both with the old style thermostat.
In some cases I think we are talking about two different furnaces. The OP has an Atwood AFSAD12 (or Dometic DFSAD12) based on the year. The older furnaces referenced by Glenn and in Dave’s 2010 19 are typically the Atwood 8012-II Everest Star furnace which by all accounts seems much more reliable than the newer ones. What do the 2013 and 2014 21’s have? Not sure when Escape made the change.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:17 PM   #57

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I don't think it matters much which furnace you have ( or fridge ) if you don't have it serviced as recommended in the manuals.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:41 PM   #58

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Na, and at the risk of a jinx- we've also never had a problem with the same heater our 2014 21 has that our 2010 17B had. Bobbito first posted the change to the next gen heater when they moved the 21 heater to the drawer stack. Seems more problematic since.
Old 11-03-2020, 06:11 AM   #59

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Na, and at the risk of a jinx- we've also never had a problem with the same heater our 2014 21 has that our 2010 17B had. Bobbito first posted the change to the next gen heater when they moved the 21 heater to the drawer stack. Seems more problematic since.
Agreed. That’s what I’m trying to point out. Very few issues seem to have been reported about the original Atwood 8012-II furnaces.
Old 11-03-2020, 02:23 PM   #60

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
never an issue with my furnace 2017 trailer -we do use it often when camping with several dogs
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote