USB Plugs: Slow Charging - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2020, 04:50 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0 TA
USB Plugs: Slow Charging

We picked up our new trailer on Wednesday, and can't say enough good things about the people at Escape trailers. We're camping in nearby Aldergrove to make sure everything is working, and noticed that charging our phones or tablet takes a long time using the USB outlets; that is, with the charge cord plugged directly into a USB outlet.
Anyone else experience this?

Thanks,
Ron
1996-2005: 1987 Award 23'
RonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 05:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Not sure how you define a “ Long Time.”
I plug my phone in at night , right before I go to bed , come morning when I get up it’s at 100% .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 05:22 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonB View Post
We picked up our new trailer on Wednesday, and can't say enough good things about the people at Escape trailers. We're camping in nearby Aldergrove to make sure everything is working, and noticed that charging our phones or tablet takes a long time using the USB outlets; that is, with the charge cord plugged directly into a USB outlet.

Thanks,
Ron
Yup, USB ports charge slower than an AC with a converter.
lostskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 05:27 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm happy just to have the 12v USB in lieu of having to have hookups....as long as it keeps up with discharge I'm happy.
Old 03-07-2020, 05:35 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
The 12v USB ports in my trailer and both of my vehicles charge slower than using an AC charger, but given enough time, they will fully charge my phone.
Old 03-07-2020, 05:39 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
The USB ports of the 2018 model tested well...to my surprise.

Are you using your factory cords or did you buy new ones to keep in the trailer. I have found many after market cords have wires so thin they will not pass the 2 amps that a larger iPad needs to properly charge...in good time.

If you find your USB is not putting out the required amps you can get a tested multi port unit for under $10. See post 244

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post280825

Post 250 and 251 might also be of interest to you of my findings and how you can get a USB tester for under $5.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post280875
Attached Thumbnails
92F2D751-E250-40DE-BB15-3DC8CFA0B9AB.jpg   04053F8A-B7FD-48C1-BF4D-33AAA196F4F8.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 08:55 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Are you using your factory cords or did you buy new ones to keep in the trailer. I have found many after market cords have wires so thin they will not pass the 2 amps that a larger iPad needs to properly charge...in good time.
I have an iPhone and I use only Apple branded cords at home, in the vehicles, and in the trailer and, as I stated earlier, the charge faster on an AC charging block than on any of the DC outlets. And not all of my AC charging blocks are Apple. In fact, I have a power strip with 2 USB ports which charges the phone faster than anything else.
Old 03-07-2020, 09:03 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
I have had good luck with Anker cords and 12 volt usb plugs.
Old 03-07-2020, 09:14 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I'd like to reiterate what Ed said above: the USB cord can make a big difference. Lowe's now carries a USB meter that you can use to test your cords to see which ones will send the most power. Using a meter like this helped me pick out a cord that would keep my tablet charged while I was running CoPilot on it while driving. Before, I was producing enough power, it just wasn't getting to the tablet due to the cord I was using. Now the tablet is happy and doesn't suddenly *shut down* at the end of a day's drive in a strange neighborhood after dark, etc. arrgh!
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 10:18 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I have found the amazon brand cords equal in charging and more durable than apple cords.
Old 03-08-2020, 10:48 AM   #11

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Lowe's now carries a USB meter that you can use to test your cords to see which ones will send the most power.
Mike,

Do you have the make and model of the USB tester from Lowes? I don't mind buying super cheap from China, but I'd prefer to have it sooner than later.

Thanks,
Ron
RonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 01:11 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Mike,

Do you have the make and model of the USB tester from Lowes? I don't mind buying super cheap from China, but I'd prefer to have it sooner than later.

Thanks,
Ron

It is a Gardner Bender USB Multimeter model GUSB-3450. There is also the number "0819A" on the bottom of it in addition to what I presume is the model number above. I found the device in the low-voltage electrical stuff at the Lowe's local to me in Pace, Florida, but when I looked in another Lowe's I didn't see it. So it might not be stocked in all of them. Good luck.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 03:22 PM   #13

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
It is a Gardner Bender USB Multimeter model GUSB-3450. There is also the number "0819A" on the bottom of it in addition to what I presume is the model number above. I found the device in the low-voltage electrical stuff at the Lowe's local to me in Pace, Florida, but when I looked in another Lowe's I didn't see it. So it might not be stocked in all of them. Good luck.
Lowe’s and Home Depot have them so at a minimum could be ordered online
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gardner-Ben...ter/1000906536
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-...3450/305938119
Old 03-08-2020, 03:38 PM   #14

would this work?
https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Multimet...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Old 03-08-2020, 11:18 PM   #15

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
Yes, the DROK USB meter in the link above is perfect:

https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Multimet...dp/B00J3JSEG6/

Here's a link to the download page for the user manual for the Magnadyne DC ports that Escape installs in their trailers.

https://magnadyne.com/magnadyne-wc-1...lation-manual/

The entire Magnadyne device is rated for about 10 amps DC (12 volts) and has 2 USB-A ports rated at 2.4 amps each (5 volts). That leaves the majority of the amperage available for the third port, a car-type port (cigarette/cigar lighter shape).

If you plug the DROK USB meter (or one of the many others available for the same price on Amazon) into a Magnadyne USB-A port, and then plug your phone/tablet's charging cord into the DROK, you'll be able to see how many of the available 2.4 amps is actually being drawn by your phone. As others have said before, some charge cables are pretty pathetic at providing power, so test them all to find which ones are best.

Here's another tip: Newer USB-C connectors are coming into use for devices that draw much more current, such as USB-power laptops. USB-C devices can draw 10+ times the current than the Magnadyne's USB-A ports. Not to worry. Just go online and get one of the many compatible chargers designed for car 12 volt ports, it will fit right in to the third Magnadyne port.
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:58 AM   #16

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeEZ View Post
Here's another tip: Newer USB-C connectors are coming into use for devices that draw much more current, such as USB-power laptops. USB-C devices can draw 10+ times the current than the Magnadyne's USB-A ports. Not to worry. Just go online and get one of the many compatible chargers designed for car 12 volt ports, it will fit right in to the third Magnadyne port.
Something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger...3758577&sr=8-2

And for those of use with low draw devices and the regular USB plugs...
www.amazon.com/Charger-RAVPower-Adapter-Galaxy-iPhone/dp/B07SL5K74Z/ref=dp_ob_title_wld
Old 11-09-2020, 05:48 PM   #17

Trailer: 2018 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye Ed View Post
Yes, the DROK USB meter in the link above is perfect:

https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Multimet...dp/B00J3JSEG6/

Here's a link to the download page for the user manual for the Magnadyne DC ports that Escape installs in their trailers.

https://magnadyne.com/magnadyne-wc-1...lation-manual/

The entire Magnadyne device is rated for about 10 amps DC (12 volts) and has 2 USB-A ports rated at 2.4 amps each (5 volts). That leaves the majority of the amperage available for the third port, a car-type port (cigarette/cigar lighter shape).

If you plug the DROK USB meter (or one of the many others available for the same price on Amazon) into a Magnadyne USB-A port, and then plug your phone/tablet's charging cord into the DROK, you'll be able to see how many of the available 2.4 amps is actually being drawn by your phone. As others have said before, some charge cables are pretty pathetic at providing power, so test them all to find which ones are best.

I just ordered iPhone 12 with the USB-C cable. Are you saying I cannot use the existing USB ports but need to buy some kind of 12 volt thing? Anything else you might add to help me? Looks like everything I currently have including charging bricks will need upgrading. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:17 PM   #18

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
Quote:

Thanks,
Ron
I think they are standard USB ports, 2.4 amp if memory serves. That means that any of the fancy new charge technologies, like Qualcom Quick Charge will not work. We use the USB ports for overnight charging and they do fine. The issue for us is that our phones use the newer USB-C (or lightning which is again a higher draw charging interface)

We have one of these adapters https://www.amazon.com/Nekteck-Certi...s%2C244&sr=8-3 that goes into the lighter plug. It charges devices with the higher power draw over USB-C, like laptops, newer phones, and tablets, etc. That gives us the two included USB-A outlets, a third USB-A (again 2.4A) on the cigarette adapter and a 40 Watt USB-C. We charge the ipad using a UBC-C to lightning cable.
cityofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 06:55 AM   #19

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I like this one cause it's pretty! This is a permanent mount version.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 07:09 AM   #20

Will not the 2.4 work, but just take longer?