Very difficult to open door - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2017, 11:16 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
the new 2017 model apparently went from a new mold directly to production/sales with new door structure as well as other structural/mechanical changes....
Do you know this for a fact? Knowing his desires to send out trailers as defect and problem free, I highly doubt that Reace sent out trailers without testing of the systems. That does not mean that they will be completely trouble free as nearly all new products go through a revision process as they are used by consumers.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:50 AM   #22

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlady View Post
Well, the problem is, that the door was locked! We've discovered that there is an issue not only opening the door, but ensuring that it is completely closed before it's locked. DH even tested the door before we left, after locking it!
Having had these same type doors before and having this problem . We added Stainless dead bolt lock to the doors . That solved whatever the issue was . The lock is same as use daily on your home . The lock is very substantial and takes care of what is going on . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:00 PM   #23

Trailer: 21’ 2020
All very intriguing comments and explanations...
I'll take a look at the weather stripping as well as test the door during different stages of trailer use, loads, and hitching. However, thinking in retrospect, our door issues were consistent through all trailer set-ups and scenarios.

It would be interesting to poll just how many new model owners have experienced similar issues with their doors. Also, if any of these issues dissipate with time or any other physical or mechanical adjustments.
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:13 PM   #24

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Do you know this for a fact? Knowing his desires to send out trailers as defect and problem free, I highly doubt that Reace sent out trailers without testing of the systems. That does not mean that they will be completely trouble free as nearly all new products go through a revision process as they are used by consumers.
used the word "apparently" ..no disrespect to anyone and no mfg wants to produce a bad product, but following the timeline pics on the mfg threads with regard to the new models coming from the molds and then to production and no evidence of the new design being driven around the country by volunteers testing it...IMHO it may lead one (this camper for sure) to believe the "testing in the real world" was going to be done by the early buyers....hence this buyer selecting a later production date.
Quote:
That does not mean that they will be completely trouble free as nearly all new products go through a revision process as they are used by consumers.
agree..a mfg will usually produce one or more alpha and/or beta prototypes for testing before ever producing or selling anything....but some mfg even test products in the real world rather than just in the lab/factory to help mitigate the number if any of the revisions (and the cost)....
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:20 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I'm constantly amazed at the apparent expertise on all aspects of Escape trailer, some non-Escape owner possess....

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-20-2017, 12:21 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Escape told me to keep my trailer and test it out for a year and if I did not like it they will give me another one, that is what I did with my other 2 Escapes, used them, sold them and bought again.....
Old 04-20-2017, 12:28 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Our house door latches work like that. For them, they have a "normal" beveled pin that latches when just closed, and then a secondary one like a mini dead bolt that only latches when the door is pushed hard into the weather stripping.
Education time, Eric.

That second pin, called a deadlatch, should not be be released into the strike plate when closed. When locked, if it is still depressed while the latch is in the strike plate, the latch cannot be depressed into the door. It is locked solid in there. If it is released out, like it would be if you pushed that second click, when locked it would be easy to us a thin tool to push latch back, and open the locked door.

Give it a try with the door open. If you lock the door knob, you can still press the two parts in together. If you just depress the deadlatch, you can no longer push the latch in.

So, your door should be adjusted to hold tight with only the latch catching in the strike plate, and the deadlatch still depressed.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:29 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I got an even better offer on some nightcrawlers. from Walt"s Bait Shop in Cedar Rapids Iowa. They said fish with these crawlers for 10 years and if you don't catch any fish, bring them back and we will either replace them or refund your money.
Ever see them pull a framed up house into square with two Cats and then go like Hell nailing the sheathing on? Bet the doors work flawlessly in those 300K "starter homes".
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:56 PM   #29

Thanks for the edumacation Jim. Out here in the sticks, the crooks could just break the window in the door and leisurely steal everything anyway! But at least now I know what that little pin is actually for!

Old 04-20-2017, 01:21 PM   #30

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
I'm constantly amazed at the apparent expertise on all aspects of Escape trailer, some non-Escape owner possess....
as a trailer newbie everyday is a learning opportunity and this forum provides that opportunity
and the significant lead time between trailer deposit and delivery date allows one to learn!
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:38 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
That does not mean that they will be completely trouble free as nearly all new products go through a revision process as they are used by consumers.
This is constantly done, year after year, and is always an ongoing process as new processes and materials come forward for implementation. I know a couple years ago when Reace looked at our early production 19, he was reminded of all the changes made over the years.
Quote:
as a trailer newbie everyday is a learning opportunity and this forum provides that opportunity
and the significant lead time between trailer deposit and delivery date allows one to learn!
To be fair, you do seem to latch on to anything that some see as negative, with little comment on all the good Escape trailers have to offer. And there is a ton of good. You don't have it listed in your user info, but what your lead time for delivery?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:35 PM   #32

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlady View Post
Well, the problem is, that the door was locked! We've discovered that there is an issue not only opening the door, but ensuring that it is completely closed before it's locked. DH even tested the door before we left, after locking it!
Our previous trailer had that issue so I retain the habit of locking both the latch and the deadbolt then yanking on it. The previous trailer also had a habit of putting the step out sometimes on rough roads so I'm bungeeing this one too since it is a similar step.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:07 PM   #33

We stopped at a camperworld and called Escape as we noticed the door hinges are under tension when the door is closed. They said that was normal. The camperworld folks have not seen that condition before. When you open the door it springs out a bit and pushing it closed flexes the part of the hinges that attach to the body. This is one of the new doors that are supposed to prevent the issue of the door hitting the dinette window.
The pressure of the door pushing out with vibration from traveling over 3000 miles is wearing a groove in the latch. When we first open the door we have to overcome the groove. When we close it we are not seating it in the groove so it is easier to open. Ok so now we know what is going on we will figure out what to do when we get home.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:24 PM   #34

Here is a video of squeaky the door hinge. It is a bit hard to see but the door frame is moving. The camperworld guy though it was the hinges.
Attached Files
Old 04-20-2017, 07:39 PM   #35

Trailer: 17
They have the new friction hinges and no door holder to hold it open. They have a little mind of their own in the desert wind. I wonder if silicone spray would help with that squeak. Im not sure if there is a rubber material in there or not is the reason silicone comes to mind.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:48 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp View Post
They have the new friction hinges and no door holder to hold it open. They have a little mind of their own in the desert wind. I wonder if silicone spray would help with that squeak. Im not sure if there is a rubber material in there or not is the reason silicone comes to mind.
That is one item we are adding when we get back. The winds in Oklahoma and Texas easily overcame the door so I had it bungeed to keep it under control. The squeak is not a problem.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:11 PM   #37

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I don't know if the locks on the new models are different or not. We have two door locks that we lock with the key. One is a deadbolt. If we have service, we are sometimes told to lock the non-deadbolt lock only, so they can get in. Or we give them the key.

Our door was difficult to shut when we picked up. After use for a while, it shut much more easily. But we did not have the lock problem.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:32 PM   #38

And it's fixed( main problem at least)

So I'm looking at replacement locksets and a video on installing a fancy one with a keypad when I notice the striker. Hmm something clicks in the dim recesses of my mind, I open the door and look again at it. The wide part is to the inside and the narrow part that is wearing the groove is to the outside. Our striker was installed wrong!! A quick application of the screwdriver and now hopefully tomorrow we have an easy to open door when we stop.
Why neither I or the camperworld guy noticed that I do not know. I guess the door hinges moving took all of our attention.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:28 AM   #39

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
(snip)
this camper declined moving production date forward for this and other reasons, however this camper very much appreciates the testing by the early buyers and hopefully it will lead to a better trailer.
Hey, Freespirit, I hear ya on this. However, we went ahead with our original delivery date. I know ours wasn't the first off the line, but it was early on. Wish I knew exactly what number it was for the new style, but whatever.

Dirk and I did discuss this very same issue when we were offered the chance to fling wads more money their way to get the 2nd Gen style over our original order (and payments). He really liked the new style and especially the new door.

I've not yet told him about this thread, but a HUGE knock on wood, mine is doing just fine (and I can see where the OP hopefully got the issue resolved - I would have been clueless about that situation). It did a lot of squeaking just before my last trip but some spray seemed to help with that. We'll see how long that lasts, though.

I can well understand why someone would want to wait until much farther down in the queue to get their 2nd Gen trailer. We figured there would be some issues coming up. Hopefully ETI is installing the frig vent with a better eye towards the sealant (or whatever). Same with making sure there's plenty of fiberglass in the ceiling so there aren't cracks in other trailers. Or whatever that issue was/is.

So, just call us Guinea Pigs if you want. I can handle it. You won't be the first. A certain someone in Maine has already had this discussion with me.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:58 AM   #40

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
So Escape is replacing the stock hinges with spring hinges on the new style doors? This is supposed to alleviate hitting the window when open? Any pictures of the new set up?