VHB Tape: Which kind? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2018, 01:20 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19'
VHB Tape: Which kind?

If you have successfully used VHB tape to attach a shelf to an interior, unreinforced wall in your Escape, could you please let me know what the specific tape number was (.e.g. 4901, or 4973, or 4611, or some other number).

I have read some posts that reference the use of 3M's VHB tape, to attach a shelf to a wall, for example, but the type of tape wasn't specified. And there are at least 8 tape "families", each specific to particular surfaces! (There are many negative reviews of the tape on Amazon, stating the tape won't adhere, but it seems to me that the user selected the wrong type of VHB tape in the first place.)

Thanks for any help!
egraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:37 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I use over 100 yards of 3M VHB tape every month for my products. 95% of it is part number RP45, rated for indoor and outdoor exposure to 200F with a shear strength of 20 lbs per square inch when cured.

Do not use it on veneered wood (as in an Escape interior) unless you are absolutely positive you will not want to remove your part as it will most likely remove the veneer.

The "45" in the part number refers to the thickness (0.045 inch)which is enough to get dental floss or fishing line between joined parts to cut through the foam center of the tape. Then removal be "rolling" the residual from a surface usually works fine - but I've only done that twice on veneer. On fiberglass it works fine and a bit of acetone helps clean up any remaining adhesive.

You can get it with different widths, lengths, sizes, etc online through Amazon; pricing is about 7 cents per square inch.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:08 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
I used 4941 to stick my solar panel on (four years ago). I did quite a bit of research and figured that the 4941 was best for my project. I found 3m's literature on VHB tape to be confusing, to say the least – what with "high / low energy surface" etc.

This stuff is extremely very-high-bond. Once you attach this tape to a properly-prepared surface, consider it permanent.

VHB tape has quite a number of uses around the house / workshop / Escape.

Chuck
citabria90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:40 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I used this to attach two Umbra hook/cubbies on unreinforced walls. It is rock solid, but as mentioned above it should be considered permanent. It will ruin the wall veneer if you try to remove it.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Scotch...-205507375-_-N

There are smaller rolls too if you don’t want as much

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Scotch...C-SF/203405976
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:31 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
the Canadian Home Depot only seems to carry this

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.s...001027515.html

and it works very well.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:42 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 19'
Thank you all!
egraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:21 PM   #7

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I used this to attach two Umbra hook/cubbies on unreinforced walls. It is rock solid, but as mentioned above it should be considered permanent. It will ruin the wall veneer if you try to remove it.

www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Scotch-1-in-x-11-1-yds-Permanent-Double-Sided-Extreme-Mounting-Tape-414-LONGDC/205507375?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal2_rr-_-203405976-_-205507375-_-N

www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Scotch-1-in-x-1-66-yds-Permanent-Double-Sided-Extreme-Mounting-Tape-414DC-SF/203405976
The ad for his particular tape says it takes the entire 5' roll to hold up 30 lbs max (20 lbs recommended), so I have to wonder if maybe it isn't the strongest version of the tape. I noticed that Scotch calls it "mounting tape" but not "VHB" which is a "bonding tape".
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:32 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
The ad for his particular tape says it takes the entire 5' roll to hold up 30 lbs max (20 lbs recommended), so I have to wonder if maybe it isn't the strongest version of the tape.
I've never been able to find true specifications for any 3M tape on the 3M website as all their tape specs are by part number, not retail product names. I prefer knowing the specs by square inch of tape when evaluating applications.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 06-19-2018, 02:39 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (May 2015)
Send a message via Skype™ to HappyCampers
Last year I retired from 3M after 38 years, mostly in adhesive tapes, and most recently in the Industrial Adhesives and Tapes Division lab, which makes and sells VHB - which stands for Very High Bond. Yes, there are many varieties, and it would be wise to choose the right version. When you see the term 'high energy', referring to the surface, it generally means metal. 'Low surface energy' generally refers to plastics like polyethylene or polypropylene. Medium surface energy would be plastics like nylon or other engineering plastics. When your car is clean and freshly waxed you have a low energy surface, so a liquid like water will not want to stick - that is why it beads up and runs right off. A grade of VHB for high surface energy will stick great to steel or aluminum, but will do very poorly on polyethylene. I would consider the fiberglass shell of an Escape to be a medium surface energy material. A low surface energy VHB will stick to a high energy surface, but will not form the ultimate high bond strength that the grade for that surface can ultimatley form. If you ever really want to get some more details, go on-line to 3M Helps, https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/help-center/, and ask to speak to a subject matter expert on VHB. I have recommended this tactic in the past for those who want to know more about 3M COMMAND products. They will not make a fortune selling to you, but knowing my former colleagues as I do, they will all be happy to talk over your issues and make a good recommendation. Then buy at Home Depot, Walmart, etc, in the small quantities that you desire. If you have any other questions just let me know. For full disclosure, I do still own stock in 3M, so please help out my retirement
Old 06-19-2018, 03:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I've never been able to find true specifications for any 3M tape on the 3M website as all their tape specs are by part number, not retail product names. I prefer knowing the specs by square inch of tape when evaluating applications.
I found this pdf spec sheet, listing 3 main types of VHB tape, if that helps...
https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...11-2015_R9.pdf
Old 06-19-2018, 08:54 PM   #11

Quote:
The ad for his particular tape says it takes the entire 5' roll to hold up 30 lbs max (20 lbs recommended), so I have to wonder if maybe it isn't the strongest version of the tape. I noticed that Scotch calls it "mounting tape" but not "VHB" which is a "bonding tape".
True, it is likely not the strongest tape, but it is strong enough and has worked well so far. The Umbra cubby is about 12” wide by 3” high and the back is covered with tape so that is 36”. If that means it will hold 18# (or even 12# based on the lower recommendation) then I’m fine. Of course one needs to consider the weight and configuration of what they are mounting and how much tape then can or want to apply to hold it.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:32 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by egraham View Post
If you have successfully used VHB tape to attach a shelf to an interior, unreinforced wall in your Escape, could you please let me know what the specific tape number was (.e.g. 4901, or 4973, or 4611, or some other number). ...
For the interior (on a Scamp) I used some VHB tape and had some failures. I dont recall the product number. I then started using Gorilla mounting tape from Walmart, etc, and it has worked very well. I have a curtain track, paper plate holder, smoke detector, and alarm sensor mounting box all mounted with it and it has stood up well to temp extemes. The only thing I still have attached with VHB is an under cabinet shelf.
Gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:47 PM   #13

Quote:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Scotch...-205507375-_-N

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Scotch...C-SF/203405976
Quote:
Well it looks like Mike was correct. The umbra hook/cubby fell off. Now I need to consider if real VHB might work or if I need to try to secure it to the wall another way. So needless to say don’t use the tape I linked above.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:43 PM   #14

Sorry to hear that it gave out on you!

By the specs, the ones they classify as VHB should be night-and-day stronger. It's held some solar panels on top of some eggs, and that's good enough for me. I've added a roll of the 5952 tape to my amazon wish list so I can remember later on. (Don't need it right now, but I can see myself probably wanting some in the future.)
Old 07-03-2018, 12:47 AM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Well it looks like Mike was correct. The umbra hook/cubby fell off. Now I need to consider if real VHB might work or if I need to try to secure it to the wall another way. So needless to say don’t use the tape I linked above.
the retail stuff described as 'extreme mounting tape' with a red backing, is VHB.

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Extrem.../dp/B009NP1JQC
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:23 AM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (May 2015)
Send a message via Skype™ to HappyCampers
I am a little surprised at some of the failure reported. Must really emphasize the need for proper surface preparation. Cleaning with alcohol thoroughly, letting it dry, and using good pressure for a minute or so, and waiting up to a day before applying any weight. Most adhesives develop their ultimate strength after about 24 hours.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:30 AM   #17

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
I recently tried to mount some Velcro strips using Gorilla mounting tape (#15). It fell right off since the backing on the Velcro was slick plastic. In desperation I ran the back of the Velcro over a belt sander, cleaned with alcohol, and used 3M VHB (#30) from Home Depot which seems to be holding well. Surface prep was the key.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:25 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
the retail stuff described as 'extreme mounting tape' with a red backing, is VHB.

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Extrem.../dp/B009NP1JQC
I can't find any specification for this tape under the VHB family at the 3M website; nothing in terms of shear or peel strength. Closest thing I could find: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...4268145&rt=rud

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 07-03-2018, 02:46 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I can't find any specification for this tape under the VHB family at the 3M website; nothing in terms of shear or peel strength. Closest thing I could find: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...4268145&rt=rud
a guy who worked at 3M told me that the red backed retail stuff is VHB

3M industrial and 3M consumer are completely different divisions, the industrial folks who actually make the tape don't pay much attention to the consumer folks who repackage things like this for retail.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:39 PM   #20
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
a guy who worked at 3M told me that the red backed retail stuff is VHB

3M industrial and 3M consumer are completely different divisions, the industrial folks who actually make the tape don't pay much attention to the consumer folks who repackage things like this for retail.
Exactly - retired engineers rely on factory specifications. I worked with 3M engineers for 28 years for tape expertise, so I'm really really picky. They helped me get 2 USA patents that rely on their technology.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com