Viair compressor - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2015, 03:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Viair compressor

my new compressor says it needs a auto power port with at least 15 amps will my 2009 Toyota Highlander handle that been looking for answers on line haven't found them yet.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 04:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I believe that most are rated at 10 amps. Did it come with clamps like those on jumper cables. My Viair did and I power it by clamping onto the tow vehicle battery's terminals. Incidentally, Viair makes a great compressor.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:21 PM   #3

No clamps just the cigarette plug in
Old 08-09-2015, 04:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I power it by clamping onto the tow vehicle battery's terminals.
That's not very convenient.
I can't pull up alongside the driver side of the trailer when it's in my driveway. I just plug my cheapo compressor into a trailer 12V outlet that allows me to reach the tire. It works. Unlike a good wine, I'm not sure I would be able to appreciate the Vlair.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:25 PM   #5

Sent you a PM. Check the fuse diagram in the vehicles owner's manual to see how "heavy" a circuit your 12v outlet/cigar lighter is. If it is not strong enough to handle 15 amps, go to an Ace or Tru Value Hardware store and buy small clamps like those on a battery trickle charger. Then power the Viair directly off the battery.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
That's not very convenient.
I can't pull up alongside the driver side of the trailer when it's in my driveway. I just plug my cheapo compressor into a trailer 12V outlet that allows me to reach the tire. It works. Unlike a good wine, I'm not sure I would be able to appreciate the Vlair.
The Viair comes with a long enough cord to reach any tire on my trailer when connected if I need to inflate a tire in an emergency. In my driveway, I use the compressor in the garage, just drag the hose out. And I can inflate a truck tire from flat to 35 psi in about a minute, and a trailer tire to 50 psi just as quickly. So I find the Viair very convenient. I threw my cheapo away after my first use of the Viair.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:31 PM   #7

Got ya.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Got ya.
Off topic a bit Glenn, but what is your favorite fine wine, or at least the one you most prefer?
Old 08-09-2015, 04:35 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
You could just plug it into the socket, try it and see if it blows the fuse - if you have a spare fuse ready to go for it. If it tries to draw current more than the circuit is rated for, it will just blow the fuse and not damage anything.

My Slime compressor also says it needs 15A and it works in both the Escape and Tacoma's sockets without blowing fuses.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 04:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Off topic a bit Glenn, but what is your favorite fine wine, or at least the one you most prefer?

Okanagan Spring Pale Ale.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:51 PM   #11

Can I plug it into my trailer ?
Old 08-09-2015, 05:53 PM   #12

I think I have a power plug that looks like a car cigarette plug in my trailer I'm guess it's a 12 volt plug ok to plug something that 15 amps?
Old 08-09-2015, 06:40 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape
Most automotive part stores have 12 v adapters with a receptacle on one end and battery terminal clamps on the other.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
I think I have a power plug that looks like a car cigarette plug in my trailer I'm guess it's a 12 volt plug ok to plug something that 15 amps?
I do not believe the wiring ETI uses on 12v receptacles is heavy enough gauge for 15 amps. Most people use these outlets for charging electronic items such as phones or tablets. Reace told me that if I wanted to use a small inverter to power a television when 120v AC connection was not available, not to exceed a 150 watt inverter as the wiring was to light to handle much more than that.
Again, I do not know which model compressor you have or what your intended use is, but it would be a simple task to add a 12v outlet, wired directly from the trailer's battery or the tow vehicle's battery using wire more than heavy enough to supply 15 amps. It could possibly be mounted just inside the door of a storage compartment, to the bumper, or most any location that would be convenient for you. And it would be relatively inexpensive to do so. I, and many others on this forum can provide all the advice needed to do this, assuming you have at least "novice" status using tools and are comfortable doing this work. But it would be helpful to know how and where you would like to use the compressor.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:17 AM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I picked up the dual cylinder air compressor by Slime. When I read all the reviews, they made sense that to get the power needed, you had to hook up directly to a 12 volt battery. Most 12 volt outlets just don't have the necessary wiring and thus blow fuses. I really like the fact that I can blow up any tire on the car or trailer quickly and efficiently. When getting ready to travel across the Mojave Desert, I had to got to two different gas stations with $ pumps and was really getting nervous as they deflated the tires instead of inflating them. I vowed to never travel without an air compressor again!
Old 08-10-2015, 09:16 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Are these tires losing air pressure. I check mine before each trip and on average have to add air maybe once a year, 3-5 psi after sitting for awhile over winter before the first spring trip and not again until the following year.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:53 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Are these tires losing air pressure. I check mine before each trip and on average have to add air maybe once a year, 3-5 psi after sitting for awhile over winter before the first spring trip and not again until the following year.
No problem with losing air. Just wanted to make sure that they were at the "optimum" pressure before driving through the hot desert. The first air pump (commercial) removed air and put me in a panic!
Old 08-10-2015, 03:10 PM   #18

i think i will look for an adapter as mentioned above. I just bought it to do tires if needed. Not that i have a tire problem. I thought a little inexpensive portable Virair would do the trick/just in case.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:00 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
No problem with losing air. Just wanted to make sure that they were at the "optimum" pressure before driving through the hot desert. The first air pump (commercial) removed air and put me in a panic!
The Desert isn't hot it's a "dry heat."
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:38 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
The Desert isn't hot it's a "dry heat."
My brother in Mesa asked: "What about monsoon season?"
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote