Vibration when towing our new Escape 21 - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2016, 03:25 PM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I would vote for the glassed-in reinforcement, but that could be a lot of hand labour, either driving the box price up or making it less profitable. Although this would be best done while the box is being made, I suppose an owner could do it later. It could even be an opportunity to compartmentalize the space with dividing walls.
From what's been described it sounds like a way to retro-fit a base less prone to allow rocking back and forth might be to use something like a 2 pieces of 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" or 2" x 2" aluminum angle. They would run fore and aft and the mounting bolts would go through them. Something like that could add rigidity. If desired a few holes could be drilled in them and they could also be used to hold the bottom of partitions in place.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:06 PM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Am wondering if many others are having this problem or if it is somewhat isolated. Checked ours, and it feels solid. Not sure why there would much difference between a 19 & 21. I know the batteries for the 19 are out in the box so maybe they give it a more anchored feel.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:14 PM   #43

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Am wondering if many others are having this problem or if it is somewhat isolated. Checked ours, and it feels solid. Not sure why there would much difference between a 19 & 21. I know the batteries for the 19 are out in the box so maybe they give it a more anchored feel.
My 19' has the dual batteries inside the front dinette. The storage box is relatively stiff with no issues. I cannot imagine that a slightly larger box on the 21' is going to be much different relative to stiffness. I suspect the problem may be a one time issue with the OP's specific installation.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:21 PM   #44

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Went out and checked ours also . We have the 19 though . Everything looks fine except one top area where the rivets sticking out are rubbing on the box . Will fix that . Brace everything else is fine . For the locks I couldn't stand the paint wearing off , I have painted the hasps with white rust paint . I also put a piece of blue aquarium tubing on locking mechanism so it helps to not rub off paint they are covered . It really helps . It takes patience to stretch it on . The locks are small master locks . Good catch about the weight of batteries in box help weigh it done . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:01 AM   #45

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Today's report: the temp fix on the brace held, and the rivet on the forward end of it did not break. We drove 150 miles or more at 65 mph with no vibration. Then it began again, unless the speed was reduced to 61. (GPS told us how fast we were going, which I presume is more accurate than an analog speedometer).

I'm not complaining about the workmanship on the box; just trying to solve a problem. Obviously it's more complicated than it seems it should be. Thanks, all, for the helpful suggestions. If we find the fix I will post it so others can benefit from our experience... We haven't yet tried Jon's idea, but we won't be on the road again for a few days, so no more immediate feedback.

I really appreciate the help!!
Old 04-11-2016, 05:43 PM   #46

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Update: We are just back from 560 miles/round trip without any vibration of the front storage box. Before the trip, we discovered a bad rivet on the curb side end of the box lid. The only way to fix it involved removing the box from the trailer tongue, which we did. Two things we noticed in that process: three of the four attachment points were shimmed with washers, and on the bottom of the box was written "19." (Do they use the same box on a 21 as on a 19? Does that "19" have nothing to do with the size of the trailer/box?) Anyway, the nuts/bolts on the attachment points seemed to be snug - the box wasn't loose on its mounting. So, Skip put in a new rivet and reinstalled the box.

Loading things for the trip, we decided to (finally) go with Jon's suggestion (see post #22), putting a towel on top of the center brace, to give a little extra pressure on the center point of the lid. Skip also tightened the staple on the street side hasp another turn, for it seemed to have loosened a little again.

Voila. No vibration!

With several variables from our last time out we can't be sure what fixed it. (It also may not be a permanent fix... but I'm hopeful!) Maybe in reinstalling the box, there is some slight difference in position? It would be easy to check to see if it's the extra pressure from underneath the center of the lid (by removing the towel... but I'm not gonna!) Or maybe we finally got that street side hasp the proper amount of snug (along with the center brace and hinge rivet no longer being broken)... Maybe it's a combo of all of the above.

We're pretty confident it wasn't just that we were driving on a calm day, as today was a bit blustery (as we came through a rainstorm).

So that's it for now, folks. Hopefully, that's the LAST of it!!