Vibration when towing our new Escape 21 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2014, 02:04 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Vibration when towing our new Escape 21

On the way home with our new 21 a couple weeks ago we had a bit of a concern.
It turned out to be a small thing, but for a while, I thought I was going to be truck shopping.
Here's a summary and outcome in an e-mail I sent to Reace:

To:
Escape Trailer Industries
Subject: Vibration when towing our new Escape 21

Hi Reace/Dennis,
Here's what I learned Saturday about the issue I called you about.

Recap- vibration when towing our new Escape 21:
Friday we left Bob’s parking lot and proceeded south toward Lynden.
When we hit 50 - 55mph we felt a vibration that stopped when we slowed down.
I stopped and check the wheel lugs and kept going. The vibration persisted if we went above 55 mph.
I stopped at a rest area south of Bellingham and called ETI. After discussing the condition with Reace on the phone, I backed off the tension on the Anderson hitch from 7 threads to 5 threads showing.
This had no effect. I stopped twice more to loosen & tighten the hitch chains with no effect.

I dropped Norma off at home and took the trailer to a local highway scale, checked weights and took measurements to determine if the trailer was towing level.
On the level platform, the trailer measured 1 ˝” lower in front when hitched & tensioned 5 threads showing. I called ETI again and talked to Reace and Dennis. Dennis agreed I could move the ball up one set of holes in the drawbar channel to level the trailer better and keep the tension at 5 threads exposed. I told him I would do the adjustments at home and check back Monday.

The fix:
Saturday I went back to the scale (where its level) and weighed and measured the trailer’s level.
On the way up, the vibration was still occurring but the trailer was now towing level.
I began to take it to a local RV shop to see if they had any ideas, stopping several times to adjust the tension on the chains.
At my last stop, I noticed the storage box lid was not locked down tightly. I adjusted the latches so it was snug.
When I started out again, the vibration was gone! I took it for a test drive on the highway and freeway and it pulls beautifully, smooth and steady. I never would have thought that the box could cause such a commotion.

Lesson learned:
I guess I should have checked the small stuff before I concluded that the equipment I was least familiar with was the culprit. Maybe it’s just the airflow around my vehicle, but you might want to make sure the lid is down tight on the storage box at delivery.

Well, I now know a lot more about Anderson hitches....
Thanks!
Paul Williams
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Probably the sound from the loose lid accentuated the vibration, making you think it was something worse. Still, those things are a real bother until you finally get them figured out, and glad to hear you did.

Besides, the education you got was a benefit from this, for sure.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:13 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
You definitely taught us something!
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
You definitely taught us something!
Reace replied to my e-mail saying he would be sure they check for the way the box is rigged before delivery.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Glad for you it was nothing major. Whew!
Old 03-07-2016, 07:58 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
We're having a similar problem. We've noticed a weird vibration lately, checked lugs, tires, etc. Can't figure it out. Today, after driving 300 miles, we went to unlock the storage box and discovered the lock is gone.

Not only that, there is wear on the lid of the storage box - obviously if this keeps up, it will wear a hole through the fiberglass.

The latches are adjustable, but there's a dab of some kind of dope on the threads that made me think they were okay - and who knew the lid not being clamped down tight(er) would stop the vibration/noise.

I've got four pics - and, sadly, I'm on my iPad so can only load one at a time. Notice on this first one, the hasp is broken - we don't think anyone was messing with the trailer. We think the weight of the lock and the jangling caused this.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 03-07-2016, 08:02 PM   #7

On the curbside hasp, you can just see similar wear beginning to happen. The metal is slightly splintered. It's not just peeling paint.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 03-07-2016, 08:05 PM   #8

There's no gasket on this lid. Should there be? There is rubbing on the curbside front of the box, and also rubbing on the street side inside of the lid.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 03-07-2016, 08:09 PM   #9

This last pic is the inside lip of the lid, on the street side.

Having read this thread, we will of course try to tighten these latches... And it looks like the hasp is probably a part that can be replaced... If we can find one.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 03-07-2016, 08:33 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
This last pic is the inside lip of the lid, on the street side.

Having read this thread, we will of course try to tighten these latches... And it looks like the hasp is probably a part that can be replaced... If we can find one.
Call Escape - they'll certainly send you a couple.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
We're having a similar problem. We've noticed a weird vibration lately, checked lugs, tires, etc. Can't figure it out. Today, after driving 300 miles, we went to unlock the storage box and discovered the lock is gone.

Not only that, there is wear on the lid of the storage box - obviously if this keeps up, it will wear a hole through the fiberglass.

The latches are adjustable, but there's a dab of some kind of dope on the threads that made me think they were okay - and who knew the lid not being clamped down tight(er) would stop the vibration/noise.

I've got four pics - and, sadly, I'm on my iPad so can only load one at a time. Notice on this first one, the hasp is broken - we don't think anyone was messing with the trailer. We think the weight of the lock and the jangling caused this.
Wow - Are your locks on the heavy side?
The ones I use are tiny...just enough to keep someone from flipping the latch open. I'll have to check the hash for wear...hopefully Escape can send you the parts you need.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:42 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
That was my thought, though they couldn't be too large as the hole the lock goes through is on the small side. The only time we use the locks are when parked as they will wear on the hasp paint... and then only use one in case some knucklehead is determined to get in.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:46 PM   #13

Thanks, Charlie. We will, but we're on the road for the next couple of weeks, and would like to solve it sooner rather than later - if possible.

Sure am glad to have found this old thread!
Old 03-07-2016, 09:49 PM   #14

Hi, Paul. No, the lock we lost was small. The other hasp is secured wth the pin ETI had on the hitch when we picked up. I think the problem is the latches were/are loose or worked loose...
Old 03-07-2016, 10:40 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I would think the box is covered under the 2yr warranty as well. I'd definitely call it in.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:48 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
After we arrived home from Chilliwack last fall, I also found that the latches to the storage box were loose. Though I had never detected any vibration, I tightened them down for a snug fit. I guess anyone picking up their new trailer might check these in addition to the wheel lug nuts. And it just pays to kind of check over everything on the trailer. Road vibration loosens up a lot of things. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:17 AM   #17

Here's a follow up to my original post on this thread from 2014:
I took our trailer up to ETI last year to have the single door fridge swapped out with the newer double door and a couple other items looked at.

Reace was there to check me in a discuss the work. He brought up my first trip vibration experience (wow, he remembered that??!) He asked if I'd mind if he added additional fiberglass material to the inside corners of the box, which I of course was happy to agree to. He explained that the newer lay up was slightly heavier and thought that would reduce vibration better than cranking down on the latches which could harm the gel coated lid.

Amazing customer service - again - (and memory on Reace's part).

So - If you adjust the latches, just snug them up & don't put excessive presure on the lid.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:56 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
We should call this thread, "Batten down the hatches"....
Old 03-08-2016, 09:17 AM   #19

Thanks, again, Paul. We kept your followup advice in mind as we tightened things up. Looks (and feels) much better - and I'm GLAD to solve that vibration thing!!

For now we'll use some heavy duty twist ties that we have, to safeguard against the things popping open. Maybe it's not needed, but we feel better with the extra bit of resistance they'll (hopefully) provide.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:12 AM   #20

Trailer: pondering.....
if Escape used a edge trim/gasket along the top edge of the box it might alleviate any rubbing if there is some at the top edge where it meets the inside of the top lid or any fiberglass on fiberglass grind/vibration. Keep in mind the small additional height of the gasket might need to be considered for the hinge mounting points unless the hinge adjustment can accommodate this.
similar to these type edge trim molding/gaskets depending on the thickness of the fiberglass.
McMaster-Carr
rubber edge trim molding with or without metal core
maybe this might need to be added to my hypothetical 2017 build sheet.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote