Warning Decals from ETI for 2017 Trailers - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2017, 06:04 PM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Warning Decals from ETI for 2017 Trailers

Just got in the mail a letter from ETI that states there are two enclosed decals I need to put on the trailer. Although I only got one, so need to email them about that.

First one (which I didn't get) needs to go over the frig that states:

"External fan must be turned "off" while traveling" (all in caps)

Okay - what external fan are they talking about? Is there a separate fan for my frig that I'm not aware of as I've never turned it on? Yes, I can ask ETI but doubt I'll get an answer before I head out of here. Hoping the forum will be faster.

The other decal is to go above the awning power switch and states (again, all in caps):

"Awning power off for travel

"Test wind sensor before each trip

"Do not leave awning unattended in the rain"

Okay, I understand all this!

Anyway, heads up to others with the new style trailers about the stickers you'll get from them. Curious if everyone else only got one or both stickers.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:19 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The fan they are referring to is the optional fan on the build sheet and it has been determined to be detrimental to the operation of the refer while towing, sitting still at the cg is fine but not while under tow. The awning power switch currently just has an on/off decal, so these will be added, I assume.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:29 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Just got in the mail a letter from ETI that states there are two enclosed decals I need to put on the trailer. Although I only got one, so need to email them about that.

First one (which I didn't get) needs to go over the frig that states:

"External fan must be turned "off" while traveling" (all in caps)

Okay - what external fan are they talking about? Is there a separate fan for my frig that I'm not aware of as I've never turned it on? Yes, I can ask ETI but doubt I'll get an answer before I head out of here. Hoping the forum will be faster.

The other decal is to go above the awning power switch and states (again, all in caps):

"Awning power off for travel

"Test wind sensor before each trip

"Do not leave awning unattended in the rain"

Okay, I understand all this!

Anyway, heads up to others with the new style trailers about the stickers you'll get from them. Curious if everyone else only got one or both stickers.
Same here. But I don't have an external fridge fan and I have the sense to treat my awning right so it's a non-issue .
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:19 PM   #4

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Same here. But I don't have an external fridge fan and I have the sense to treat my awning right so it's a non-issue .
Yeah, I thought the awning sticker was rather a no-brainer, but I guess it's one of those CYA (cover your donkey) sort of situations.

We did get the external fan option. But I'm clueless as to turning it on and off. That's the information I'm hoping to get here.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:57 PM   #5

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Just got in the mail a letter from ETI that states there are two enclosed decals I need to put on the trailer. Although I only got one, so need to email them about that. First one (which I didn't get) needs to go over the frig that states: "External fan must be turned "off" while traveling" (all in caps)
I assume it's a form letter that covers both decals, but one only gets the fridge decal if one ordered the external fan option (aka the "Texas Fan"; I still don't know how it got that nickname). But then, my assumptions usually get me in trouble....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:25 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
But then, my assumptions usually get me in trouble....
I am going to risk climbing out on the same limb you are on, and say I think your assumption is correct.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:33 PM   #7

Whatever. The form letter states there will be two stickers included and there isn't. And I did get the external fan option, so that's a moot issue you're trying to bring up guys.

Still wanna know if there's supposed to be an on/off switch for this option that I supposedly got and paid wads of money for. And, if so, where the heck it is.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:40 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Whatever. The form letter states there will be two stickers included and there isn't. And I did get the external fan option, so that's a moot issue you're trying to bring up guys.

Still wanna know if there's supposed to be an on/off switch for this option that I supposedly got and paid wads of money for. And, if so, where the heck it is.
It's in the outside compartment where the fridge mechanism resides. You have to take the big white cover off to get to it. I ordered the fan but have never seen a need to turn it on.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:43 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
I just checked mine. It's labeled "Refrigerator Ventilator Fan Switch"
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:47 PM   #10

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
emails from ETI

We haven't received it yet . When we camped in June we didn't use the Texas fan until the temp. was over 100 degrees . It seems to work the beer was cold and ice cream was solid .

Right now we are not worried about stickers or emails .We worry about our Camper with Hurricane Irma on our doorstep .
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:53 PM   #11

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Whatever. The form letter states there will be two stickers included and there isn't. And I did get the external fan option, so that's a moot issue you're trying to bring up guys. Still wanna know if there's supposed to be an on/off switch for this option that I supposedly got and paid wads of money for. And, if so, where the heck it is.
Laura, As others said, pull off your outside fridge vent cover and look for this little black and red "Refrigerator Ventilator Fan Switch". Not sure why you wouldn't have gotten a decal for your external fan. Clerical error, I guess. But I'm sure ETI (or Dometic's product liability attorneys) will be glad to send you one if you ask....
Attached Thumbnails
DSC09436.jpg  
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:59 AM   #12

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Anyone know if leaving it on damages anything? If it's just a little less effective for cooling then I'd probably just leave it on most of the time unless it got really hot. I doubt those fridge cover snaps are rated for hundreds/thousands of open close cycles. They seem pretty flimsy to me.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:51 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
Anyone know if leaving it on damages anything? If it's just a little less effective for cooling then I'd probably just leave it on most of the time unless it got really hot. I doubt those fridge cover snaps are rated for hundreds/thousands of open close cycles. They seem pretty flimsy to me.
You should open that area occasionally for inspection and cleaning, so you can turn it off and on then. I agree those snaps are plastic, some of us have used other ways to secure the vent cover, myself I added 2 additional holes and metal screws.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:55 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
Hi: paulk... Those black push/turn fasteners for the vent covers are avail. at most RV dealers in a bubble pack. I always carry a spare set, but haven't needed them yet!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Laura, As others said, pull off your outside fridge vent cover and look for this little black and red "Refrigerator Ventilator Fan Switch". Not sure why you wouldn't have gotten a decal for your external fan. Clerical error, I guess. But I'm sure ETI (or Dometic's product liability attorneys) will be glad to send you one if you ask....
Thanks for the photo - that helps a lot.

That's really weird (to me) that the switch is inside a cover that could be a PITA to take off. I've never taken it off, but I would think it would be much easier and much more consumer friendly if it was inside the trailer along with the other switches and such. Heck, I never knew the switch was inside that cover. If it was shown to me at orientation, I certainly don't remember it (along with other things I've forgotten, I'm sure).

Well, one more thing to look at before I hose off the wildfire ash.

Good luck to those in FL.

BTW, I didn't post this so folks can get in a tizzy over it. I was just posting as a heads up to look for it in the mail and to find out where the heck that switch was. Which has now been accomplished.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:00 AM   #16

Trailer: Looking for 15b
Casita has the fridge fan switch just inside the entrance door which is easy to access and visible so that you hopefully remember it lol.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:08 AM   #17

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
This is just conjecture When driving especially at highway speeds ,air is being forced through the refrigerator vent openings
The force of the air could cause the blades of the refrigerator axial fan to rotate.
If the wind forced rotation is opposite the standard rotation when the fan is energized the fan may stall when energized . Axial fans have very little starting torgue and it takes little to stall the fan leading to the fan overheating.
When I worked at the refinery , when we had to start the cooling tower fans on windy days , we would have to climb the tower and physically stop the fan blades from rotating . If we didn't the fan would stall and blow the fuses when trying to start

Again this is only a possible reason for not running the fan during travel.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:21 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Quote:
That's really weird (to me) that the switch is inside a cover that could be a PITA to take off. I've never taken it off, but I would think it would be much easier and much more consumer friendly if it was inside the trailer along with the other switches and such. :
If you have not taken your refrigerator vent off, where do you hide your spare key?
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:34 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
This is just conjecture When driving especially at highway speeds ,air is being forced through the refrigerator vent openings
The force of the air could cause the blades of the refrigerator axial fan to rotate.
If the wind forced rotation is opposite the standard rotation when the fan is energized the fan may stall when energized . Axial fans have very little starting torgue and it takes little to stall the fan leading to the fan overheating.
When I worked at the refinery , when we had to start the cooling tower fans on windy days , we would have to climb the tower and physically stop the fan blades from rotating . If we didn't the fan would stall and blow the fuses when trying to start

Again this is only a possible reason for not running the fan during travel.
The reason given by Escape is running the "Texas Fan" while driving is likely the cause of the failure of the thermal fuse on the 2 door refrigerator.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:31 PM   #20

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
The reason given by Escape is running the "Texas Fan" while driving is likely the cause of the failure of the thermal fuse on the 2 door refrigerator.
Thank you for the information. We have a Texas fan on our refrigerator but never ran it while traveling.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote