Water heater - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2020, 09:39 PM   #1

Trailer: None
Water heater

Does the water heater operate on electric only? Ours is running propane and I'd rather use the electric. There is a switch in the trailer and one on the heater.

We left all our literature at the house and have minimal internet.

Thanks,
Dan.
DanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Escape install two styles of water heaters

1) Propane only ( Standard equipment )
2) Propane / electric combination ( Optional)

1) The inside switch controls the propane portion of the water heater
2) The switch inside the WH compartment is a unit switch which controls the electrical portion of the water heater
3 ) You will need to turn on the WH circuit breaker in the converter and the unit switch on the water heater in order to operate the WH on electric .
4) You can operate the WH simultaneously on both propane and electric, which will give you a faster recovery rate
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:21 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
The switch is kind of hard to see. On our heater it’s on the left side of the heater about halfway between the top and bottom from the outside tip down cover. It looks like a light switch in your house. When you turn it on your EMS will show a several amp draw increase. If your have a switch on the heater, then you have the two way system. Like Steve says, check the breakers to make sure that one is in. Not likely but the only common thing that keeps the electric side from working if there’s power to the unit is a burned out electric element. It happens if the power is turned on without water in the tank. I always run the hot water faucet to make sure the tank is full after making sure the bypass valves are set right.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-20-2020, 10:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Make sure you have water in the water tank before turning the electric mode on.
Gasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:31 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Re : Unit switch inside WH is a rocker style switch
1) Push bottom of rocker switch inward to energize WH
2) Push top of rocker switch inward to turn the WH off .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 06:13 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Some people have added a 120 vac switch the the two-way (propane/electric) water heater. The switch outside has a reputation for failing (not an easy fix) if operated frequently. Some have been reported to freeze up in either the on or off position. It can always be operated by the circuit breaker but that is not really a good idea because exact time it is used that way a small amount of destructive arcing can occur in the circuit breakers internal contacts. And it is critical that power is not applied to an empty water heater. The electric element will burn out in a heartbeat. It is not a wallet breaking repair if you replace it yourself, but it is a PITA to do so.
Old 07-21-2020, 06:20 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
DanJ,
Please update your avatar to reflect your Escape model so that we can help you with any questions.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:25 AM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJ View Post
Does the water heater operate on electric only? Ours is running propane and I'd rather use the electric. There is a switch in the trailer and one on the heater.

We left all our literature at the house and have minimal internet.

Thanks,
Dan.
Once your water heater is filled with water, you can turn the switch that is outside on the water heater ON, and leave it ON. You will need to turn it OFF, before draining your water heater, as that switch should never be ON when the water heater is empty.

That way anytime you are plugged into shore power your water heater will heat on electric.

The switch inside is to turn on the water heater to run on propane.

You may find that electric alone does not heat the water fast enough, so you might end up using both.

Here is the Water heater orientation video on YouTube.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:31 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Once your water heater is filled with water, you can turn the switch that is outside on the water heater ON, and leave it ON. You will need to turn it OFF, before draining your water heater, as that switch should never be ON when the water heater is empty.

That way anytime you are plugged into shore power your water heater will heat on electric.

You may find that electric alone does not heat the water fast enough, so you might end up using both.
If you are into projects, adding an inside switch for the 120V side of the water heater is a good one. There is a relay kit available, or simply add a switch between the circuit breaker & the heater.

Why? If you need to connect to a 15 amp pedestal, turning it off will let you run other stuff. The switch built into the water heater often fails and is a PIA to change. Turning it on and using another switch to turn the water heater off & on will save you grief.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:41 AM   #10

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
If you are into projects, adding an inside switch for the 120V side of the water heater is a good one. There is a relay kit available, or simply add a switch between the circuit breaker & the heater.

Why? If you need to connect to a 15 amp pedestal, turning it off will let you run other stuff. The switch built into the water heater often fails and is a PIA to change. Turning it on and using another switch to turn the water heater off & on will save you grief.
That's a good suggestion.

The other time you probably don't want the water heater running off 120 volt, is when you are using a generator.

Especially if you are using a 2000 or 2200 watt generator and want to run your air conditioning. If your water heater is heating on 120 volts, there is no way those generators will run the air conditioner, SoftStart kit or otherwise.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 11:35 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post

The replacement panel and relay was added to my trailer three years ago and still working great.

The relay is installed in the Suburban hot water heater junction box and the panel replaces the Escape installed one. One wire run from the panel to the relay is all that is needed.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...itch-8535.html
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post226380
Attached Thumbnails
232948.JPG   KIB M1086.jpg  
Old 07-29-2020, 12:34 AM   #12

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Talking WH??

First, make sure the propane is off. Go to side of trailer where the 12" flat perforated door is and flip off the lock thingie..did you bring the little key which fits that tiny lock YOU put there to keep kids OUT? D^mmit, u 4got that key. Go back to sq 1 and find it. Do NOT pass GO. Come back and jimmy off that tiny lock..it is cheap and there4 RUSTED.
Now, get down on all 4s and look up under that silver tube about what seems like 10" from the mud and finally shine a pen lite up there..and SEE that little switch. Do not touch it yet Wipe the MUD off yer shorts and hands.
First grab the little lever up near the top ..it is a relief valve..lift it a bit to relieve the PRESSURE inside the tank. Did you shut off the city water first? No? Then you may get an eyeful of water if that tank is full..if not you just get air, in the eye.

Now, after making sure you have water IN the WH, go ahead and flip that tiny switch to ON. NOW, go wait 20 minutes to see if the WH is working. While waiting, go check al the fuses just in case the wife unit yells.."Bill, the dam&%ed water is COOOOOLLLLD. ..Didju turn ON the water heater yeeeeeet?"

Go close up the 12" cover.... but first, bend waaaaayyy down and LOOK and look again ...to make sure the WH switch is ON.. Then, close the perforated cover and cuss that tiny lock again.

Go turn ON the two propane tanks ..& bust a nail trying to unscrew those little black tiny thumbscrews atop the tank covers.... Go inside and turn on the propane switch, if U can find it. Wait 20 minutes, preferably OUTSIDE, out of range of the wife unit, w her semi-auto rolling pin.
If possible go jump into the campground pool, a creek or the lake or even the dump station hose..to rinse YOU off ...bks here will BE no frikkin hot water for YOU and thus NO Shower.
After water is hot..turn off the propane tanks..or at least turn off that little switch. Then go and try to get some shut-eye.
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 12:56 AM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'd give up if I was you.
Old 07-29-2020, 06:30 AM   #14

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Semi automatic rolling pins not allowed here ........... now if I can learn to duck the automatic backhand
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 12:25 PM   #15

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Beware the Outside Water Heater Switch

Quote:

I was going to post the note below, but searching the forum I think I found the answer from above. The inside water heater switch only applies to propane.

I drained the freshwater tank on "Wishbone" the other day in preparation for winterizing. I also plugged it in the shore power to fully charge the batteries before topping them up with distilled water. It is stored under a 12' rooftop so the solar panels don't catch much. When I drained the hot water tank yesterday I was surprised the water was hot. The switch on the water tank was on, but the internal switch inside was off. I assumed the internal switch would override the setting on the tank. When I switch the hot water switch on inside it lights up red as intended. I did turn the switch on the water tank to off to avoid heating an empty tank. The propane supply was turned off so the tank had to have been heated via electricity. Is that the way it supposed to work? Can someone tell me how to check for continuity from the control panel to the water tank?

I also noticed this time and at least once in the past when I check the battery charge level only 1 light shows but as soon as I plug in to shore power it shows all 4 lights. I would expect it to take a while before a full charge is shown.

I fear things that go "bump" in the night.

The older I get the more I realize how little I know. There is a lot of knowledge shared on this forum.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:29 PM   #16

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Beware the Outside Water Heater Switch

Quote:

I was going to post the note below, but searching the forum I think I found the answer from above. The inside water heater switch only applies to propane.

I drained the freshwater tank on "Wishbone" the other day in preparation for winterizing. I also plugged it in the shore power to fully charge the batteries before topping them up with distilled water. It is stored under a 12' rooftop so the solar panels don't catch much. When I drained the hot water tank yesterday I was surprised the water was hot. The switch on the water tank was on, but the internal switch inside was off. I assumed the internal switch would override the setting on the tank. When I switch the hot water switch on inside it lights up red as intended. I did turn the switch on the water tank to off to avoid heating an empty tank. The propane supply was turned off so the tank had to have been heated via electricity. Is that the way it supposed to work? Can someone tell me how to check for continuity from the control panel to the water tank?

I also noticed this time and at least once in the past when I check the battery charge level only 1 light shows but as soon as I plug in to shore power it shows all 4 lights. I would expect it to take a while before a full charge is shown.

I fear things that go "bump" in the night.

The older I get the more I realize how little I know. There is a lot of knowledge shared on this forum.
Old 10-18-2020, 02:28 PM   #17

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_bullet View Post
Correct: the control of propane-fired and electrical operation of the water heater are essentially unrelated, and the stock Escape installation does not provide an inside switch for the electric element. Even when they have switches side-by-side (in other brands of trailer or custom installations) the propane switch does not affect electric operation.

I turn off the circuit breaker which feeds the water heater before starting winterizing.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote