water heater DSI FLT ? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2017, 08:11 AM   #41

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Trouble with ours. I have the new generation 19 with the single mode water heater. (gas only). Now wish I had gone with Dual Mode. The trailer is about a month and a half old. It worked great until this past weekend. As always, I verified that we had water in the hot water system before trying to turn it on. Flipped the switch and the light came on, along with the DSI light. DSI light cycled three times and then stayed on. I could hear something clicking near the water heater each time.

Pulled the cover outside and looked around. I didn't see anything out of sorts. Per one of the posts I read, I pulled the shield over the burn chamber but didn't see anything that looked like it needed cleaning.

We appear to be getting gas, as I can smell it at the water heater when it's doing its thing.

Also, tried turning off all gas and pulling the electric for 10 min. No change.

Time to call ETI? If it's a board, I am comfortable replacing it.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:24 AM   #42

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
water heater DSI FLT ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorsenva View Post
If it's a board, I am comfortable replacing it.

We were on the road when this happened to our 2017 21’ earlier this year. Same symptoms. In our case, it was the board.

The RV dealership on our route had the replacement board, but it was going to take a few days for someone to diagnose it. I asked if I could take it to the parking lot and test it on my water heater. They said OK...replaced it...the water heater fired right up...bought it and was on my way.

I could not wait for the warranty process, but hopefully you can.

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:54 AM   #43

Hi Fred, thanks for the reply.

Are you talking about the board mounted on the inside, as I don't see one on the outside behind the panel. Mine appears to be mounted beside the water heater, underneath the bed in my 19'. Also, how much did you have to pay for that board? I may buy one and put one on board, since this appears to be a high failure item.

Thanks,

John
Old 11-13-2017, 11:32 AM   #44

I called ETI and they agree that a new circuit board is the next step. If they ship a new board to me, I have to pay shipping both ways, once for the new part and again to ship the old part back to them. Does this seem right, for warranty service on a trailer that is less than two months old?

I also called Suburban, and they won't ship me (as the consumer) a new part. I was told by them that they only have two service centers in my area. One is about an hour away and the other is somewhere in a city next to the one I am in. That one wants to schedule a visit in two-weeks for them to diagnose the problem. Then, they can order the new part and I can go back again for another trip to have them install it.

The woman at Suburban told me that the part number for the board is 520-814 and the ones in the field, that they know about, use the same part number. You could order a board from some place and have no clue whether it's the good one or one from the bad batch. So even if I bought one new from someone, (I see them on eBay), I would not know if I was getting the old board or not.

What I would have expected would be a board being shipped out from ETI with a return tag on it to ship the old part back. Instead, I'm looking at two trips to a dealer and probably a month wait on getting this resolved.

Any ideas?
Old 11-13-2017, 11:48 AM   #45

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm not sure you have to ship the defective one back to ETI and I assumed they would ship one to you, free? Was this info relayed to you by whom?
Old 11-13-2017, 11:51 AM   #46

Trailer: None now
Quote:
I called ETI and they agree that a new circuit board is the next step. If they ship a new board to me, I have to pay shipping both ways, once for the new part and again to ship the old part back to them. Does this seem right, for warranty service on a trailer that is less than two months old?

I also called Suburban, and they won't ship me (as the consumer) a new part. I was told by them that they only have two service centers in my area. One is about an hour away and the other is somewhere in a city next to the one I am in. That one wants to schedule a visit in two-weeks for them to diagnose the problem. Then, they can order the new part and I can go back again for another trip to have them install it.

The woman at Suburban told me that the part number for the board is 520-814 and the ones in the field, that they know about, use the same part number. You could order a board from some place and have no clue whether it's the good one or one from the bad batch. So even if I bought one new from someone, (I see them on eBay), I would not know if I was getting the old board or not.

What I would have expected would be a board being shipped out from ETI with a return tag on it to ship the old part back. Instead, I'm looking at two trips to a dealer and probably a month wait on getting this resolved.

Any ideas?
Check my previous post at http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...tml#post207020 and LJY's post at http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...tml#post223458 for information on the part.
I bought one myself from a local RV repair place near my Moms house in Plant City.
What you were describing is why, no way I was going to drive up to Tampa twice. The gas and time as well as wear and tear on the truck and trailer were worth more to me than havin a dealership fix it.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:54 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm not sure you have to ship the defective one back to ETI and I assumed they would ship one to you, free? Was this info relayed to you by whom?
When I was originally going to get the part from ETI they were going to ship me one at their cost and I was to ship the defective one back at my cost. This was after I had called LazyDays RV up in Tampa and was told I needed to bring it in so they could diagnose the problem. When I asked if they would fix it that day I was told no they would need to order any parts. So I decided the heck with it and did it myself.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:16 PM   #48

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
So ETI ships it free to you but you pay to ship the defective part back?
Old 11-13-2017, 12:19 PM   #49

I checked the thread again and it looks like 520-814 is the current part number for the board, replacing the old one, 232391. This is also what Suburban told me, so I believe the current part number is still 520-814. Wake me up though if I have that backwards.

I spoke with a very helpful guy at Escape twice this morning but it wasn't Reace and I don't want to get someone chewed out, so I will leave out his name, unless you PM me. I think I will call back and ask for Reace and see if he can ship a new one and I will pick up shipping on the return part.

In the meantime, something good has happened. At first, I had the dual mode heater added to my build list. Later on, I took it off. I looked at my build sheet and it was on there and after talking to Escape this morning, I was directed to look for a black toggle switch located below the two reset switches. I thought I had looked already but when I stooped down, there it was. Tested it and I have electric heat as well, so I'm happy about that. If I can get ETI to ship me a new board and also buy a new board from someone, both of them with the problem fixed, I'll have a spare and carry that with me once this is fixed.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:45 PM   #50

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
One can understand why Suburban would want you to take the water heater to an authorized dealer for inspection and repair. Otherwise they'd be shipping parts willy nilly that may or may not fix a problem.
Others of us would soon cotton to the idea of obtaining spare parts "just in case" by making claims.
I had a problem with my water heater not lighting. This was at an Escape Rally. Reace happened by, asked how things were, went back to his site and got a pair of pliers, adjusted the igniter and it's worked ever since.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:50 PM   #51

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
If you are still planning on ordering board. Check with Gloucester RV. They are a small family run RV business. They may order a board for you without making you jump through all the hoops. They may even have the board in stock.
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:50 PM   #52

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
You might want to check for mobile RV repair services. They come to you. They often carry common replacement parts, and they don't have them in-stock they get them from distributors just like normal service centres. While they may be just as booked up as the service centres, you might get lucky and find someone available. Of course they charge for labour and service calls; I will not guess at whether or not Escape (or Suburban) would cover this cost.

It looks like Williams RV Service is an example of this type of mobile operation serving Portsmouth. I don't know anything about them (other than having the largest truck I've ever seen for this type of business) - it's just what I quickly found online to illustrate the type of service which I have used.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:17 PM   #53

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Quote:
So even if I bought one new from someone, (I see them on eBay), I would not know if I was getting the old board or not.
We faced a similar situation with our 2017 - 19'. The water heater worked for a few days and quit while the trailer was far away from any dealers and not moving anytime soon. I thought I could purchase the board over the internet and install it myself so I ordered one from Amazon and did the install - the "new" board didn't work .

In the meantime, ETI sent me another board with the agreement that I would ship the bad board to them. My assumption here is that ETI would get reimbursed by Suburban. I paid the shipping cost back. That board worked fine and is still working.

As others have suggested, you might be fine if you can get the part from an RV dealer without a lot of hassle about who is going to install it. But, I'd advise against eBay or Amazon.

All the best!
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:58 PM   #54

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Someone may have already posted this and I missed it, but I'm assuming because it is some type of control board that this only affects the dual elec/propane water heaters and not the propane only??
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:04 PM   #55

ETI is sending a new board that Suburban has told them should be good and I will ship the old part back to ETI at my expense once I swap the two.

Providing this fixes the issue, I still plan to find a new board to carry as a spare, (and test it) if I can buy with assurance that it's not of the old batch.

I'll circle back with the outcome when I get the new part.

Thanks for your help today guys.

John
Old 11-13-2017, 02:18 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Someone may have already posted this and I missed it, but I'm assuming because it is some type of control board that this only affects the dual elec/propane water heaters and not the propane only??

It's the same board for both. Its the ignitor board. It controls the gas solenoid and spark ignition. The 120V is a separate circuit.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:21 PM   #57

Quote:
ETI is sending a new board that Suburban has told them should be good and I will ship the old part back to ETI at my expense once I swap the two.

Providing this fixes the issue, I still plan to find a new board to carry as a spare, (and test it) if I can buy with assurance that it's not of the old batch.

I'll circle back with the outcome when I get the new part.

Thanks for your help today guys.

John
I had the same original board as LTY that failed. A Fenwal , I do not remember who made the replacement.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:30 PM   #58

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
It's the same board for both. Its the ignitor board. It controls the gas solenoid and spark ignition. The 120V is a separate circuit.
Ah, thanks. I'll take a look and see if I can identify it for possible future issues.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:01 PM   #59
LJY

Trailer: 2017 Escape
check mobile rv repair like Brian said. Most places around where I'm parked had me wait till December due to heavy service volumes. I was lucky to find a mobile guy who knew about the issue and asked me to bring the Fenwal board to him.

If you have the Fenwal board and are concerned about being stuck somewhere without hot water, buy the replacement board from Amazon or Dinosaur board wetzk listed. (because 2 Fenwal boards failed on me and the repair guy also recommended the Dinosaur board if I wasn't under warranty). Reace also suggested I could manually lit the heater like a propane stove till ETI could get a board to me.
LJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:16 PM   #60

Thanks for the info on the Dinosaur board. I will look for it. I will probably wait until ETI's board get's here, make sure that fixes it and then seek a spare.

Mine failed this past weekend while we were camping and it would have been ok but it was cold, the bathhouse at the campground only produced lukewarm water, and that's if you used only the hot water control. No heat in there either. Good times though and we really enjoy our Escape. As we've heard would happen, people ask about the trailer. Folks instantly comment that there "no seam", and always seem surprised.