water heater DSI FLT ? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2017, 07:28 AM   #61

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
New board arrived yesterday from ETI. Swapped it out and it fired right up. Old board shown in pics.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8356.jpg   IMG_8358.jpg   IMG_8362.jpg  
Old 11-18-2017, 08:25 AM   #62

Trailer: None now
It is interesting that Q3 appears to be fried on yours. I had a circuit board trace close to it that was burnt open. I did try soldering a jumper over the burnt area but it did not bring the board back to life. I gave the old one to a friend who repairs old discrete circuit boards. He said it was not worth trying to fix. I'll have to ask him what had failed that took out the circuit board.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:20 AM   #63

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
It is interesting that Q3 appears to be fried on yours. I had a circuit board trace close to it that was burnt open. I did try soldering a jumper over the burnt area but it did not bring the board back to life. I gave the old one to a friend who repairs old discrete circuit boards. He said it was not worth trying to fix. I'll have to ask him what had failed that took out the circuit board.
When ETI agreed to send me a new board, they asked that I send the bad, original board back to them. They said a Suburban is trying to find the common problem among all the failures so they could identify the cause. If you or your friend know the cause, call Jeff in their parts department; he’d love to hear from you.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 02:04 PM   #64

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
When ETI agreed to send me a new board, they asked that I send the bad, original board back to them. They said a Suburban is trying to find the common problem among all the failures so they could identify the cause. If you or your friend know the cause, call Jeff in their parts department; he’d love to hear from you.
I gave him a call and he said if he remembers right as that was a while ago it was the coil for the relay that took it out.
Since he is not sure I'd forget about passing that on.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 11:19 AM   #65

Trailer: 2018 5TA
Our DSI FLT came on after the propane ran out and wouldn't go off, even when the propane was restarted. Went through cleaning the chamber as suggested, still no ignition. But after trying the suggestion of turning all power off (including battery), along with the propane supply and waiting for a few minutes, the problem seems to have been solved. Not unlike rebooting a computer, I suppose.
ian&denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 05:38 PM   #66

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorsenva View Post
New board arrived yesterday from ETI. Swapped it out and it fired right up. Old board shown in pics.
Looks almost identical to the failure on mine. I wonder if the problem is that the foam pad just gets too hot and carbonizes, which then shorts out the connection.

I replaced it with a board from Dinosaur, complete with their enclosure.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 08:25 PM   #67

Trailer: 2018 Bullet Crossfire 2200BH
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
DSI means direct spark ignition. FLT means fault.
I realize this is an old post. However, it was very helpful to me today -- thank you! We just bought a 2018 Bullet Crossfire 2200BH. I'm new to all this.
wwian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 12:07 PM   #68

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21/ 09 2015
I had my first hot water heater mishap this weekend. Hooked up to shore power and tried to turn on from inside and got the fault light. No ignition. I then cleaned out the burn chamber. I turned on the propane and tried to fire it up from the outside switch. No ignition. But, when I leave the propane on at the tank (and outside switch off) it turned on using the inside electric switch. I could here the propane being used. When I turned the propane off at the tank it shut down and would not restart. It fires up from the inside switch on propane, not electric. Must be a bad circuit board?
luckyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 12:31 PM   #69

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyone View Post
I had my first hot water heater mishap this weekend. Hooked up to shore power and tried to turn on from inside and got the fault light. No ignition. I then cleaned out the burn chamber. I turned on the propane and tried to fire it up from the outside switch. No ignition. But, when I leave the propane on at the tank (and outside switch off) it turned on using the inside electric switch. I could here the propane being used. When I turned the propane off at the tank it shut down and would not restart. It fires up from the inside switch on propane, not electric. Must be a bad circuit board?
If I'm following you what you are describing sounds like the correct operation. The inside switch is for propane. The outside switch is for operation on 120V electric. Ignore the reference to the switch on the monitor panel. I'm not sure when they changed but many of us with the original Gen1 trailers have the separate switch. You will see the switch in the attached picture is lit up. That is because I did a mod that leaves the switch lit when the water heater is on.
Attached Thumbnails
propane.jpg   electric.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2020, 12:41 PM   #70

I thought the inside switch was for electric and the outside switch, on the heater itself was for propane? I am feeling pretty stupid.....but not the first time.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:45 PM   #71

Quote:
I thought the inside switch was for electric and the outside switch, on the heater itself was for propane? I am feeling pretty stupid.....but not the first time.
No big deal. We've all been there. Look back at my edited post and you will see the picture of the older separate Suburban switch which should be the same as yours. Since that picture I took a label maker and put "GAS" on the top of the switch plate just above the word heater.

If you want to do a mod to a switch that stays lit when on you can use something like this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Calterm-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

This is a very helpful reminder that the water heater is in operation.
Old 09-11-2020, 01:01 PM   #72

Thanks again for the advice. I will make sure the breaker is off when in storage with power. I wouldn't want to have that switch turned on when the tank is empty. Is that switch mod you noted strictly a plug and play?
Old 09-11-2020, 04:07 PM   #73

Quote:
Is that switch mod you noted strictly a plug and play?
Not exactly but it's not difficult to wire. The switch I show has three terminals while the existing has two. If you wire to the Power and ACC terminals on the new switch that will function just like the existing switch. To get the switch to illuminate when ON you need to wire the ground terminal to a suitable ground. If I'm not mistaken I wired it to the ground terminal on the adjacent fault light. I'm pretty sure I just cut off the existing spade connector and crimped a new one on with both wires.