Water pump - boondocking water refill - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2017, 01:07 AM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Water pump - boondocking water refill

Hi everyone - I do a lot of boondocking where water treatment is not needed and so am looking for advice on how to refill my fresh water from a creek. Anyone use a water pump?
Tmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:54 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I took an empty 2 liter soda bottle, cut the bottom off and insert the top neck part in my tank fill and use as a funnel and fill with a 5 gal bucket.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:06 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Without an electric pump the process works best with two people. One to hold the funnel and a second to pour. A single person will work but the mechanics dictate small amounts of water and more transfer time.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:26 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
The fill on my 21' has a long level section so you must have a funnel with an extension or more comes out than goes in. Also when filling with a hose I use a special RV extension on the hose.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:29 AM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmaz View Post
Hi everyone - I do a lot of boondocking where water treatment is not needed and so am looking for advice on how to refill my fresh water from a creek. Anyone use a water pump?
We don't fill from a creek but rigged up a transfer pump to get water easily from containers into the trailer when boondocking. The pump is a Wayne PC2. It is 120V and we'll use the generator to power. Also available in 12V if you desire. It is self-priming but depending on how far the creek is away you may need a bigger pump with more head. Could look at a well pump but I imagine they start to get heavy.

http://www.amazon.com/Wayne-PC2-115-.../dp/B000CPZTEK
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:11 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I just stick the spout of the jerry can into the filler and pour. Works for me and me and doesn't require two people.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:27 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
It doesn't matter how clean one may think "pristine" water bodies are. Both Cryptosporidium and Giardia can be present in any water body, no matter how remote. You have to ask yourself, does a bear/bird/deer/wolf $#|+ in the woods, in a stream, or in a lake?
All I can say is get infected by one of these organisms even once and you won't want to repeat the experience. Probably won't kill you but you might wish you were dead! While untreated water may be safe for swimming, bathing, washing clothes, and even drinking or cooking if boiled, drinking untreated water out of a stream or a lake is gambling with one's health.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:30 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I just carry a five gallon water jug that sits out on the picnic table and is used for cooking and washing dishes. I throw it in the back of the RAV when I need to get more water. I've never had to transfer water from it to the trailer tank. Always come home with some in the tank.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:38 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
I use a see trough 6 foot tubing with a brass plunger on the end.I put the plunger in to the container usually a five gallon jug of some sort.Move the plunger with some force, until the water starts to flow, sticks the opposite end into trailer and watch the action.
Bought that thing at a truck
stop, but yesterday I saw them at Cambodian Tire.
Works for me, I put the container on a small table beside the trailer and start the action.Takes just a few minutes to empty container.Five gallons at the time, not too much heavy lifting.Like I said works for me, but maybe not for everybody.
Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:40 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
The fill on my 21' has a long level section so you must have a funnel with an extension or more comes out than goes in. Also when filling with a hose I use a special RV extension on the hose.
I believe that extension will screw onto a upside down bottle funnel? I may be wrong...or like Allan use a small pump, like the winterizing pump and use only for water, the container can sit on the ground.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2017, 11:55 AM   #11

Yes Carl I agree.
Been there done that.Late seventies on a trip into the Fraser Plateau at 6.000 feet looking for big game, I became dehydrated and could not resist drinking from a stream.It took about two to three hours before I started to get really sick.Got home in a few days went to work, dragged myself upstairs into the house after work, no strength left.Wife finally said :Get yourself to a doctor.
Doctor said:No solid food for 48 hours not even a bread crumb.Chicken broth, Ginger Ale or water.NO solids.After 52 hours I started eating again and everything was back to normal.Giardia Lamblia or commonly known as beaver fever, yes there was beaver dams in the area of Wales Creek BC.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:23 PM   #12

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
I bought one of these, and fill it up when we know we will be dry camping for a while. It also fills easily of those sites where fresh water is available, but there are no water hook ups. The spout is long enough to go into the water fill tube. However, its not for everyone as 5 gallons plus of water is pretty heavy.

Reliance Desert Patrol Water Container, 23-L | Canadian Tire
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:28 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
This is "not intended for potable water", but not sure that should scare you, especially if you are getting water from a stream.

Battery-Powered Transfer Pump - Lee Valley Tools
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 10.26.00 AM.png  
Old 03-28-2017, 12:33 PM   #14

Super siphon hose at Home Depot 5 1/2 long 1/2 diameter at $ 12.99 (US)?
That's the idea, look at the drawing to see the principle.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:03 PM   #15

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
It doesn't matter how clean one may think "pristine" water bodies are. Both Cryptosporidium and Giardia can be present in any water body, no matter how remote. You have to ask yourself, does a bear/bird/deer/wolf $#|+ in the woods, in a stream, or in a lake?
All I can say is get infected by one of these organisms even once and you won't want to repeat the experience. Probably won't kill you but you might wish you were dead! While untreated water may be safe for swimming, bathing, washing clothes, and even drinking or cooking if boiled, drinking untreated water out of a stream or a lake is gambling with one's health.
I agree with your premise but sometimes you have no other choice but to use what is available . We went moose hunting in the BWCA of Minnesota . We paddled and portaged over 10 mIles into the BWCA. Their was no potable water available and it was too far to try and carry in water for a one week hunt for 4 guys .
We took water out of the lake , boiled it and added water purification tablets. We used the water for cooking , cleaning and drinking without issue. Going without drinking water for a week is not an option.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:15 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I use a 6 gallon water jug. It took me a while to accept that half full each trip is better than carrying and pouring 6 gallons.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:52 PM   #17

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
You didn't mention how far off the stream is you're getting water from, but I'd do like Kevin. I use a 6 gallon water jug, fill it 1/2 way so I can carry it. Lacking a pump, I pour it into 1 gallon water bottles in camp and then from the 1 gallon jugs into the tank via a transmission type of funnel. Only takes 5 or 10 minutes to refill the tank if done every day. We use up to 6 or 7 gallons a day if we use the shower.

You might want to filter it on the way int the jug, need to keep the big stuff out of the trailers pump.

Personally I'd purify a gallon or 2 a day separately for ingestion, which is how much we use. But that is obviously up to you.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:56 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I agree with your premise but sometimes you have no other choice but to use what is available . We went moose hunting in the BWCA of Minnesota . We paddled and portaged over 10 mIles into the BWCA. Their was no potable water available and it was too far to try and carry in water for a one week hunt for 4 guys .
We took water out of the lake , boiled it and added water purification tablets. We used the water for cooking , cleaning and drinking without issue. Going without drinking water for a week is not an option.
You did the right thing to boil it and use the WP tablets. Either of those parasites could have ruined your trip. They also make filters which remove bad organisms without having to boil. Always best to take precautions.
By the way, what have you heard about Erlichiosis being carried by deer ticks? I understand that it has been found in Wisconsin and Minnesota.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:37 PM   #19

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
You did the right thing to boil it and use the WP tablets. Either of those parasites could have ruined your trip. They also make filters which remove bad organisms without having to boil. Always best to take precautions.
By the way, what have you heard about Erlichiosis being carried by deer ticks? I understand that it has been found in Wisconsin and Minnesota.
We have heard of people in our area (NW Wisconsin ) contracting
Erlichiosis but personally we don't know anyone who has ..
My wife and son have both had Lymes disease and I know several people who have had Lymes multiple times. As the winters have gotten more mild , we are seeing insects and plant diseases that we have not seen in the past. I haven't heard the trees pop in the winter for along time. We use to see the ice go off the lake in late April or early May now it goes out in March.
If things continue on their present course , I may consider planting orange or lemon trees or moving to Canada .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:07 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Drinking out of surface water sources today is not a good idea at all like others have said Giardia is real and not good for you. Any water taken from a surface water source that is used for consumption should be treated...yes that means coffee, brushing teeth, drinking etc. There are basically three options: 1. filter the water to a point that bacteria are filtered out like this product https://www.msrgear.com/catalog/prod...er/category/7/ Option 2. boil water for 10 minutes yes 10 minutes full rolling boil ( go ahead carry that much stove fuel it weighs almost as much as the water) or option 3 treat the water with chlorine or another approved product. For this you can buy tablets but be sure to follow the directions to the letter or they will not be effective. OR Option 4 play roulette and drink the water....you may get sick or you may not....do you want to take the chance?
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote