Water pump not priming - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2022, 02:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 E19
Water pump not priming

Well I've searched this forum, (perhaps unsuccessfully) watched the escape youtube video on it. And to no success.

So scenario.

Winterized the trailer last year by blowing it the lines. Bypass hw tank etc.. followed all the steps.

Took the e19 out two weeks ago, and the water pump just doesn't work. I can hear it turn on. (Although not as loud as it was previously, probably because it's not pumping water but that's only my speculation.)

So pump on faucet open i get no water or air coming out. (Closed doesn't change the outcome or sound) Water pump is under the bed in a super inconvenient spot but it is what it is. Dumped at least 2 cups of water into the strainer area. Checked the strainer, no debris. Hose coming from the freshwater tank isn't showing any water being drawn up.

Is my water pump pooched? Could it be a cracked strainer. As in what I'm describing... willing to take pictures etc...

Appreciate any insight.

Thanks
Dzescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 02:26 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'd try the pump when it has liquid to pump, may make a difference....
Old 05-16-2022, 02:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'd try the pump when it has liquid to pump, may make a difference....
Sorry if you mean filling the fresh water tank. I've put in about 1/3 to 1/2 in the fresh water tank.
Old 05-16-2022, 02:48 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I had a similar experience this spring on the 2013 21. Pump motor ran “free” and sounded ok. Tried to prime, would not pick up . Replaced strainer fitting/cup/screen, still no water. Ordered a pump through Amazon, came in a few days , easy to install. Did not even put water in the cup, fired it up. Fauceta spit a little air and water and primed up and pumped water better than it has for a few years. Continues to work fine strainers were about $10 each I bough two. Pum was $64 to my door with tax. That’s my experience.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-16-2022, 03:11 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
So I guess a new pump every 3-4 years should be standard, something to stockup on...
Old 05-16-2022, 03:25 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Don't know if it makes a difference, but I only switch the pump on when I'm going to draw water, and then shut it off. My pump is original to the trailer ( 2008 ). I'm not planning to carry a spare.
Old 05-16-2022, 03:30 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
So I guess a new pump every 3-4 years should be standard, something to stockup on...
They last much longer than that. Our Shurflo pump that was intstalled without a strainer is 13 years old and still going strong.
Old 05-16-2022, 03:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for the help?

Yesh
Old 05-16-2022, 03:44 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape
Just a thought. If you have a winterizing valve make sure it is closed so that it isn’t sucking air.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 05:11 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016 21
I had a similar issue after de-winterizing this year as well. I was getting spurts of water/air though, unlike your scenario of no water or air, and likewise going down the cracked strainer path. Went back to the trailer to take pictures of the strainer/part to order it, and on a whim tried the pump again, and it worked. As mentioned earlier, I'd check the shutoff valves, and if that's not the issue it may be new pump time.
Bill_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 05:25 PM   #11

Trailer: 2021 21NE
You may or may not want to try the method that worked for me. But I had similar troubles last year after I received my new 21NE. I did the methods mentioned - reseated the strainer, added water, etc to no avail. I actually sucked on the kitchen water faucet until water flowed. Took several goes to work out all the air pockets in the system. But have not had any issues since.
Snappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 09:13 PM   #12

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
If it won’t pull from the tank yet, maybe it will pull through the winterizing tube to give it a start.
Old 05-17-2022, 08:41 AM   #13

Trailer: 2021 21NE
I used to use Shurflo water pumps on my cruising sailboat. I carried a spare pump and pump rebuild kits for the different pumps. The actual pump portion was usually what wore out and it was easy to replace these parts. The cost for the rebuild kit was just a fraction of a new pump.

Carrying a spare rebuild kit in a trailer isn't as critical but might not be a bad idea depending.....
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 02:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
If it won’t pull from the tank yet, maybe it will pull through the winterizing tube to give it a start.
Unfortunately no winterizing tube on mine. But I wonder if there's a way to prime it another way...

I did order a new pump.

The location of the pump is a real PIA.
Old 05-17-2022, 03:44 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
sometimes just putting a tiny smear of silicone plumbers grease on the various rubber diaphragms on the pump is what it needs. I need to service ours.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 04:45 PM   #16

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
Open only the cold kitchen faucet. Then create a vacuum to draw the water into the pump. (Like you are siphoning gas out of a tank.) The pump is working with you and that can prime the pump.
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 05:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by elongest View Post
Open only the cold kitchen faucet. Then create a vacuum to draw the water into the pump. (Like you are siphoning gas out of a tank.) The pump is working with you and that can prime the pump.
Eddie
Tried this as well... ... nothing happening
Old 05-25-2022, 04:14 PM   #18

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzescape View Post
Well I've searched this forum, (perhaps unsuccessfully) watched the escape youtube video on it. And to no success.

So scenario.

Winterized the trailer last year by blowing it the lines. Bypass hw tank etc.. followed all the steps.

Took the e19 out two weeks ago, and the water pump just doesn't work. I can hear it turn on. (Although not as loud as it was previously, probably because it's not pumping water but that's only my speculation.)

So pump on faucet open i get no water or air coming out. (Closed doesn't change the outcome or sound) Water pump is under the bed in a super inconvenient spot but it is what it is. Dumped at least 2 cups of water into the strainer area. Checked the strainer, no debris. Hose coming from the freshwater tank isn't showing any water being drawn up.

Is my water pump pooched? Could it be a cracked strainer. As in what I'm describing... willing to take pictures etc...

Appreciate any insight.

Thanks
Hi. Your scenario is almost a carbon copy of what happened to me.
New 5.0 delivered in September, ‘21. Sometimes the pump would cycle briefly (indicates a pressure leak somewhere in the circuit) but I found no leaks anywhere. It worked ok on a couple of autumn trips so I thought nothing of it. I now suspect a failing pump diaphragm.
It came time to winterize and the pump seemed to work less effectively but, end of season & thought I’d deal with it in the spring. I couldn’t use antifreeze as the pump didn’t seem to pull well. Blew out all the lines at 30 psi and got through a New York winter fine… except pump wouldn’t work in April although its motor ran. No pressure. Carefully primed it repeatedly. ETI service thought I might have had a cracked strainer assembly

SHURFLO 255-325 1/2" Barb Swivel Nut Strainer https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B002XM5G...ing=UTF8&psc=1

so bought and installed a new one on own dime from Amazon. No help. ETI then thought it was the pump itself. Shurflo sent me a new one which I had installed and all went well. But, despite the warranty, only the part is covered (obtained through each part’s manufacturer, not the labor or any diagnosis). So $$ for that.

Here’s the pump for my 2021 5.0 on Amazon if you’re out of warranty, but check with ETI first about model for your rig.

SHURflo 12v 3.0 GPM Revolution RV Water Pump # 4008-101-A65

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010TKMK4O...0WT355WJHAC7T5

Kind of an uncomfortable install unless you’ve got a drill with a flexible bit extension IMO.

Heading out tomorrow on a one month Coast to Coast Trip so here’s hoping on the pump!
Jonathan
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 08:43 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape 21NE
pump lost prime

Since we picked up our 21NE in December, we've inadvertently pumped fresh water tank dry three times, and in each case the pump lost its prime. Immediately filling fresh water tank did nothing.
Priming was easy.

On the road, a squeezable, plastic water bottle with a "popup" top from a convenience store, filled with water did the trick.
  1. I accessed the tube to the pump used for adding antifreeze (easy in a 21NE.).
  2. Turned the valve to allow flow from the tube to the water pump.
  3. Helper opened cold water at faucet in sink.
  4. Helper turn on the switch to the pump.
  5. Important... Pushed water bottle tight into the hose and squeezed the water bottle till it pushed water into the pump.
  6. When pump primed, it sucked the water from the bottle on its own... It was primed.
  7. Turned off the pump
  8. switched the valve back to access fresh water tank.
  9. Turned pump back on and let run till air was out of the line.
BillMcgTenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 05:22 PM   #20

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA towed with a 2017 GMC Canyon V6
I just went through this. We've been otherwise busy remodeling a house and haven't had time to do any RVing, and just now got around to un-winterizing, so the fresh water tank and heater were dry. I hooked up city water and couldn't get the pump to prime, even after ensuring all the air was out of the lines. Then I filled the tank (don't understand why the tank doesn't fill up automatically when on city water). Pump still wouldn't prime. I then unscrewed the sight glass/strainer right next to the inlet side of the pump and filled the line up with water and that did the trick. That "Sure Flow" pump sure doesn't have much suction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMcgTenn View Post
Since we picked up our 21NE in December, we've inadvertently pumped fresh water tank dry three times, and in each case the pump lost its prime. Immediately filling fresh water tank did nothing.
Priming was easy.

On the road, a squeezable, plastic water bottle with a "popup" top from a convenience store, filled with water did the trick.
  1. I accessed the tube to the pump used for adding antifreeze (easy in a 21NE.).
  2. Turned the valve to allow flow from the tube to the water pump.
  3. Helper opened cold water at faucet in sink.
  4. Helper turn on the switch to the pump.
  5. Important... Pushed water bottle tight into the hose and squeezed the water bottle till it pushed water into the pump.
  6. When pump primed, it sucked the water from the bottle on its own... It was primed.
  7. Turned off the pump
  8. switched the valve back to access fresh water tank.
  9. Turned pump back on and let run till air was out of the line.
jkordzi is offline   Reply With Quote