Water pump problem - need help - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2023, 07:23 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
There have been past issues with a cracked cap on the filter assembly. Often a small hairline crack that is not visible until it screws on or you apply some pressure to the edge.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 10:47 AM   #22

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Just a final update, problem solved and water system is working normally again....woohoo! It was definitely a suction leak in either the filter basket, a plastic 90 degree elbow, or the winterizing T valve. Close visual inspection of each of those when we removed them showed no visible cracks but something was certainly leaking and sucking air in. Centex brought brass fittings to use rather than the factory plastic ones, and for now we eliminated the winterizing T-valve since I never used it anyway - can always be added back later.

Can't tell you how good it felt to turn on the pump and hear and see normal operation again. And as a bonus I now have a spare water pump to carry since the one I replaced yesterday was still good.

A HUGE thank you to Centex for driving an hour here on a Sunday morning to help us get on the road for our trip on schedule, and for giving me his filter basket assembly. This is what the forum is all about, members helping others....although this really goes well beyond that!
Old 03-19-2023, 10:55 AM   #23

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
A HUGE thank you to Centex for driving an hour here on a Sunday morning to help us get on the road for our trip on schedule, and for giving me his filter basket assembly. This is what the forum is all about, members helping others....although this really goes well beyond that!
Very happy to hear you’re ready to go. Have a great trip!

Way to go, Centex!
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 10:55 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Excellent,my opinion of Centex has always been high, it just moved up another notch. Safe journey.
oldwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 11:33 AM   #25

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
I'm glad to have been in a position to help, I'm sure anyone similarly situated would have done the same.

Mainly I'm happy that David, Mary, and the cats can hopefully proceed with their next trek, departing tomorrow as long-planned, that was the mission and that's the reward.

Wishing Happy Travels to everyone!
Old 03-19-2023, 01:05 PM   #26

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
More follow-up to help others understand the issue we had and what we did. There was unquestionably a vacuum leak in the fresh water line feeding the water pump, resulting in enough air being sucked in when the pump ran that less than the full amount of water made it to the pump. It had to be either the filter housing, a 90 degree connector, or the winterizing T valve. In the interest of expediency, and because I have never used the T valve, we decided to eliminate that (easily added back later if needed), and used brass connectors for extra durability. Here are before and after pics illustrating this.

One way to clearly identify a vacuum leak is that when the pump was turned off, water drained back down the clear tube to the floor level leaving that tube empty. In normal operation once the pump has run and the system is pressurized the supply tube coming up from the fresh water tank stays full of water. An air leak in one of the components we replaced was allowing that water to flow back down into the fresh tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Before.jpg   After.jpg  
Old 03-19-2023, 01:58 PM   #27

As David mentioned previously, there are several Shurflo filter baskets differing in the I/O fittings. Both his 2018 and my 2021 had Shurflo 255-325 with a 'winged' swivel nut on the pump-side, a 1/2" barb on the suction side, here on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Interesting that David's 2018 originally had a pex crimp ring on the suction side barb/tube connection, making field-replacement of the filter basket alone a bit difficult; on my 2021 ETI used a common SS hose clamp for that barb/tube connection, so that's what we used again for David's replacement installation.

We did use pex crimp rings on the brass pex elbow fitting, those bits along with the crimp tool were things I happened to have on hand.
Old 03-19-2023, 09:45 PM   #28

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Incredible. Not only driving an hour but scavenging parts off his own trailer to make a repair on yours! Alan rates among the best in my book.

Glad you are up and running. Have a wonderful trip.
Old 03-20-2023, 01:24 PM   #29

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Incredible. Not only driving an hour but scavenging parts off his own trailer to make a repair on yours! Alan rates among the best in my book.

Glad you are up and running. Have a wonderful trip.
It is great to see other Escape owners stepping up and doing what Reece used to do!

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 09:16 PM   #30

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
I had a similair problem and it turned out to be a hairline crack in the acrylic cover for the filter housing. I did winterize by blowing out all the water in the lines, but a small amount of water must have been left in the housing around the filter. The hairline crack was barely visible and you had to almost use a microscope to see it. Changed the cap and it all works great. I now take that filter housing off in the winter and turn the filter upside down to drain any water that might be caught in the housing
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 06:36 PM   #31

Talking Happy closure

With delivery from Amazon today I've restored my 'parts scavenged' 5.0 to full functionality, even better than new! Now with fewer fittings and the ability to R&R the complete water filter assembly for maintenance or replacement without tools.

As seen in the attached pic, rather than the OE barb-inlet filter I installed Shurflo #255-315 with a 1/2" threaded pipe inlet and the mating Sharkbite brass swivel elbow.

All tested-out wonderfully!

Icing on the cake: Also received today, a pic of David and Mary hiking in Big Bend with the text "Sure enjoying our nice tight water system".

That made my day, a big win-win for everyone!

Attached Thumbnails
tool-less filter.jpg  
Old 03-25-2023, 09:20 PM   #32

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Icing on the cake: Also received today, a pic of David and Mary hiking in Big Bend with the text "Sure enjoying our nice tight water system".

That made my day, a big win-win for everyone!

You sure have some good karma heading your way!
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote