Water pump problems - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2017, 09:48 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19
Angry Water pump problems

Have a two-year old 19'. Nothing but water pump problems.

A year ago the water was backing through the pump into the fresh water tank. Reece and Co. said the pump was bad. Sent a new one, and was willing to pay for installation.

Used it for a season.

The new pump is now doing a limited amount of backing water in the tank. But most important, it continually cycles on and off, pumping a minimal amount of water.

Wrote Escape.

Escape wrote back, saying, oh, well you need to install a Check Valve to "to reset the water pump which will stop the water from back flowing into the fresh water tank." And will need to take the pump out and install a new check valve, which they said they will send me. They sent pictures of someone apparently installing a check valve on a work bench.

Nothing about the pump cycling on and off. (Maybe the two problems are inter-related. But they didn't say so.) And no apologies for causing a second major headache in 14 months.

Two water pumps in two years. Two pumps which only had a minimal amount of usage. And the need to make a major repair while we're on the road and don't expect to be in a place to make comfortable major modifications to the trailer for at least three week. And, Escape assuming I'm a talented mechanic.

And no apologies for two major problems in the water in two years.

If you've read this far I'm aggravated by Escape. Am I alone? Anyone else had these problems? Any idea how I can at least stop the pump from cycling on and off? HELP!
Rutterslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
If the pump check valve is not holding pressure ,then the pump will run till the pressure switch is satisfied , then the pump will shut off , then the water pressure will bleed off through the bad check valve and the pump will start again until the pressure switch is satisfied and by now you get the picture. ( The Cycle just keeps repeating itself over and over)
Changing out a check valve takes little mechanical skills or time.

As far as being upset with Escape , your own your own with that one.
Not good to speak ILL of the King !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:02 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
This may be a dumb comment but until a permanent fix is in place, can you not just shut off the pump when you're not drawing water to stop the cycling?
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Also, should note that the water pump and other appliances are covered by individual manufacturers' warranty, so you should really be dealing with them directly, although Escape does what it can to help.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:31 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
If the pump check valve is not holding pressure ,then the pump will run till the pressure switch is satisfied , then the pump will shut off , then the water pressure will bleed off through the bad check valve and the pump will start again until the pressure switch is satisfied and by now you get the picture. ( The Cycle just keeps repeating itself over and over)
Changing out a check valve takes little mechanical skills or time.

As far as being upset with Escape , your own your own with that one.
Not good to speak ILL of the King !
Hi: steve dunham... Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:46 PM   #6

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: steve dunham... Alf
HI Alf !!

Best Wishes
Steve D
Old 04-25-2017, 12:13 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape 19
From the photos they sent, it looked as if I had to undo and clamp each of the water lines, unbolt the pump and then install the check valve (which I assume was either never installed on the pump they sent me or wore out in 14 months of very infrequent use). Given the location of the pump, I wouldn't rate this as an easy or comfortable job. Certainly not one I'm going to undertake a thousand miles from home and mechanics I trust. But what do I know.
Rutterslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:53 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutterslo View Post
From the photos they sent, it looked as if I had to undo and clamp each of the water lines, unbolt the pump and then install the check valve (which I assume was either never installed on the pump they sent me or wore out in 14 months of very infrequent use). Given the location of the pump, I wouldn't rate this as an easy or comfortable job. Certainly not one I'm going to undertake a thousand miles from home and mechanics I trust. But what do I know.
I for one feel your pain . We have gone 3 pumps in 3 years . I carry a new pump with me just in case , of course so far ,just been carrying the new pump . The longest we gotten , oh , oh shouldn't of said that . Hope the pump didn't hear . I cut the bed ply and hinged the ply to make a door I can access sitting on top of ply . We don't have the Escape bed though so it is easier to fold it out of the way . We have air and latex foam . Very uncomfortable to fix the pump laying on your side . Really don't understand why these pumps keep failing , never had this problem before . Sorry you have to deal with this . I have just learned to deal and change and fix what I can . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:32 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape
Unfortunately this:
I have just learned to deal and change and fix what I can . Pat
Old 04-25-2017, 06:18 AM   #10

Hi: All... We too are on a replacement 12V pump. Last day in Florida this Feb. when pulling out of our site, I thought I saw water squirt out the overflow. I haven't tried the reset of the check valve procedure yet but will when it's warm n dry.
AT RISK OF VERBAL ATTACK, HERE IT IS!!!
1- Fill fresh tank 3/4 full.
2- With the city water line disconnected pressurize the tank using the 12 V pump.
3- Turn the pump off.
4- Turn on the kitchen tap and bleed the water and pressure off.
5- Re connect city water hose, and check to see if it is still filling the fresh tank!!!
Thanks to C&G in FL for sending me this procedure. Good Luck!!! Alf
Old 04-25-2017, 07:03 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Also, should note that the water pump and other appliances are covered by individual manufacturers' warranty, so you should really be dealing with them directly, although Escape does what it can to help.
This very important point seems to be frequently missed.

Call most RV companies with any problem with these items and you will be told to call that individual manufacturer. ETI instead always tries to help owners solve those problems, but then manages to get blamed for what is that pump/appliance manufacturer's shortcoming .

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:21 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
This very important point seems to be frequently missed.

Call most RV companies with any problem with these items and you will be told to call that individual manufacturer. ETI instead always tries to help owners solve those problems, but then manages to get blamed for what is that pump/appliance manufacturer's shortcoming .
True, you buy a new home with a one year warranty and the builder may try to help you with a stove issue, but more than likely you will have to deal with the manufacturer of the stove, HVAC, or any other installed item.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:26 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
True, you buy a new home with a one year warranty and the builder may try to help you with a stove issue, but more than likely you will have to deal with the manufacturer of the stove, HVAC, or any other installed item.
Our first trip out in our "Minnesota Built" fiberglass egg, the battery proved faulty. I called them and they said that unless I wanted to drive it back to the factory there was nothing they could do about it - period. "Contact the battery manufacturer" was their solution.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:34 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Exactly. I have it written into my contracts that there is a one year warranty on our supplied labour and materials, but the express warranties of individual items are to be dealt with from the manufacturer. But as you and baglo mention, I feel it is my responsibility to help them out and make certain they get the results they deserve.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:06 AM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Have a two-year old 19'. Nothing but water pump problems.

A year ago the water was backing through the pump into the fresh water tank. Reece and Co. said the pump was bad. Sent a new one, and was willing to pay for installation.

Used it for a season.

The new pump is now doing a limited amount of backing water in the tank. But most important, it continually cycles on and off, pumping a minimal amount of water.

Wrote Escape.

Escape wrote back, saying, oh, well you need to install a Check Valve to "to reset the water pump which will stop the water from back flowing into the fresh water tank." And will need to take the pump out and install a new check valve, which they said they will send me. They sent pictures of someone apparently installing a check valve on a work bench.

Nothing about the pump cycling on and off. (Maybe the two problems are inter-related. But they didn't say so.) And no apologies for causing a second major headache in 14 months.

Two water pumps in two years. Two pumps which only had a minimal amount of usage. And the need to make a major repair while we're on the road and don't expect to be in a place to make comfortable major modifications to the trailer for at least three week. And, Escape assuming I'm a talented mechanic.

And no apologies for two major problems in the water in two years.

If you've read this far I'm aggravated by Escape. Am I alone? Anyone else had these problems? Any idea how I can at least stop the pump from cycling on and off? HELP!
This type of pump has a small check valve built into the pump head...mine is a little rubber flapper valve. If you live or camp in areas where the groundwater comes from primarily from limestone(Florida) or sandstone (desert states) you will get deposits in the water from the dissolved calcium precipitating out. These chunks often get stuck or a lining is formed on components that hinder the check valves from properly closing and thus they lose pressure or bleed by. This could explain both the pump running intermittently when not on municipal supply and the tank filling when on municipal supply. If you feel adventuresome take apart the pump head and clean the valves with vinegar and a toothbrush to remove the deposits.
An add on check valve that is more robust(stronger spring) should be an easy fix since the pump is just threaded onto the camper piping and these fittings do not need to be much more than hand tight(anything more will warp the fittings and CAUSE leaks).
I am working on the same problem now. I bought my trailer in Las Vegas (sandstone area) and am now home in New England (not much calcium in the water). So far I have cleaned the pump head and the tank filling has all but stopped. I am sanitizing the system with chlorine now and am hopeful that the problem will be solved. Good luck!
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:19 AM   #16

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:

Larry,

I can understand your frustration!

It's not much consolation, but if you want to feel better about ETI's quality and customer service, spend some time on the forums for trailers of other manufacturers (if they're independent forums like this one). It's not uncommon to hear of folks who buy a trailer or motorhome and have it in the shop for half the first year. At the end of the year there are still problems, but now it's out of warranty. And the dealer's who did the warranty work have trouble getting paid by the manufacturer. This isn't everyone's experience by any means, but it's not rare either.

I have never heard anything even close to this about an Escape trailer (or fiberglass trailers in general). This forum is where you'd hear about it if someone had that kind of trouble with an Escape.

This doesn't make your pump problem go away, but maybe you can feel relieved that you don't own one of those other products.

Hang in there.

Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:44 AM   #17

Consumers often complain about warranties or that contractors or manufacturers won't honor their warranties but how about the abuses from the consumer . I have gone on warranty service calls on homes we had wired , often in the middle of the night.
We were expected by customers and for free & under the warranty to replace burned out light bulbs , reset circuit breakers , replace switch & receptacle plates that the homeowner lost or broke , repair wiring that the home owner damaged or messed with and my two favorites , pay for a service call from an appliance repair shop because the homeowner didn't know that there was a wall switch to control her garbage disposal and at 2:00 AM having to tell a customer and at no cost to him, that he didn't pay his utility bill and that's the reason his TV wasn't working.

Many people have and have put unreasonable expectations and demands on manufacturers and contractors . This statement includes Escape who from all I've seen is more than responsive to customer concerns and demands.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:57 AM   #18

Trailer: 2015 19'
We had a similar problem. The first pump was replaced under warranty. It worked about a year. Then it failed again while out on a 3 week trip---dry camping. After speaking with Reace he said he figured out that a Check Valve was required. Frankly, I thought the pump was dead (there was no sound) and couldn't be revived, but Reace was certain everything would work. Due to back issues and our skill level we took in our trailer to a dealer to install the check valve and reset the pump under Escape's warranty. All is well and I'm thrilled I now have water pump.

Lorna
Lornanaugle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:08 AM   #19

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
I may have missed it. Does anyone have a link to the suggested check valve?
Eddie
Found this one.
https://www.amazon.com/SharkBite-U20.../dp/B00506ET10
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:15 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by elongest View Post
I may have missed it. Does anyone have a link to the suggested check valve?
Eddie
Hi: elongest... So far its just a rubber diaphragm in the end of the 12V pump housing IMHO!!! Alf