Water pump won’t turn on - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2018, 09:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 ("Hotel California" -Aug 2017) Tow is 2016 GMC Canyon Duromax Diesel
Water pump won’t turn on

We tried to de winterize today and the water pump motor wouldn’t turn on. Our new 21 ( picked up in August) shows that the batteries are fully charged. No noise or hum at all came from the water pump after refilling the water tank and pushing the pump switch. (The pump switch lit up)

After trouble shooting the best that we could, we called the service department at Escape and they tried troubleshooting with us over the phone and had us try to prime the pump by pouring some water in its hose. But it still didn’t work, no motor, no sound. A fellow Escape owner ( and good friend) came over with a multi meter and helped us to ascertain whether the fuse was good (it was) and if power was getting to the pump. (It was -the motor was even a little hot)

Escape said to take it to a RV Service Center to have them troubleshoot further and if the service center determined that we need a new pump, that they would have it replaced under warranty.

Is there something we have overlooked?

The problem is, all the Service Centers that I have called around my area say that there is a 6 week wait. We have plans for a weekend trip in two weeks and then a longer 10 day one coming up. I don’t want to cancel my trips and I see that Amazon has our pump, the Shur flow Model number 4008-101-A65 for $62. Is this the model you’d recommend that I should buy?

How hard is it for a newbie (without a lot of RV or mechanical know how,) (yet) to replace on their own ?

Thanks for any help
Old 04-30-2018, 10:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrgtic4 View Post
We tried to de winterize today and the water pump motor wouldn’t turn on. Our new 21 ( picked up in August) shows that the batteries are fully charged. No noise or hum at all came from the water pump after refilling the water tank and pushing the pump switch. (The pump switch lit up)

After trouble shooting the best that we could, we called the service department at Escape and they tried troubleshooting with us over the phone and had us try to prime the pump by pouring some water in its hose. But it still didn’t work, no motor, no sound. A fellow Escape owner ( and good friend) came over with a multi meter and helped us to ascertain whether the fuse was good (it was) and if power was getting to the pump. (It was -the motor was even a little hot)

Escape said to take it to a RV Service Center to have them troubleshoot further and if the service center determined that we need a new pump, that they would have it replaced under warranty.

Is there something we have overlooked?

The problem is, all the Service Centers that I have called around my area say that there is a 6 week wait. We have plans for a weekend trip in two weeks and then a longer 10 day one coming up. I don’t want to cancel my trips and I see that Amazon has our pump, the Shur flow Model number 4008-101-A65 for $62. Is this the model you’d recommend that I should buy?

How hard is it for a newbie (without a lot of RV or mechanical know how,) (yet) to replace on their own ?

Thanks for any help
That's the one Pete and Lisa . You will just need to undo the screws that hold the pump down .they should be Robertson . Remove the wires and place back on same as new pump . Undo the intake and outtake hoses put back on same fittings you remove from , they just unscrew by hand . Do one side at a time to not get mixed up . Have a rag to collect any water . Check your filter too , the cap unscrews and make sure there is nothing in the little stainless screen . U tube also can show you . Very easy . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 ("Hotel California" -Aug 2017) Tow is 2016 GMC Canyon Duromax Diesel
Hey Pat,
Thanks for the info! What filter ?
Old 05-01-2018, 01:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Hey Pat,
The hose that is the inlet should have a little filter that has a screw on lid , you can check . They sell them too on Amazon . I can take a picture of ours tomorrow in the morning for you . Escape was putting on before . Look for RV water pump filters also . They are about 8 + in price , so you can see what I am talking about . Don't know how to get you a link but if no one else does will get you a picture in morning . Pat
Old 05-01-2018, 07:53 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
I have done the pump swap in my last trailer. I was/probably still am a newbie. Take pics of the current unit and how it sits in its place and the wiring.. should be a straight swap. I wouldn’t wait. Around here, even to diagnose the problem would cost more than the pump itself and considering the 6 week wait.. May as well get to know your trailer. I’m doing my own window swap soon so I’ll be doing the same as you and coming to the forum for advice. Good luck.
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:02 AM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
It shouldn't be that hard to replace the pump. My recommendation since you have trips planned is to attempt replacement yourself. Worst case you still have a non-working system, but the flip side is you are on the road with a working system and are proud of your accomplishment. If you run into trouble just post some pictures and members here will guide you through.

Since it is under warranty see if ETI will expedite a pump to you. That is the least they can do if you are doing your own labor. If they can't then buy it online and submit the receipt to them. I would get the same exact pump to make installation the easiest.

By the way...this is the strainer that Pat mentioned above. This isn't your problem though because even if this was clogged the pump would turn on. Still worth checking to make sure it is clean.
Strainers
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:25 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
Is that a "flow" switch on the top of the pump? I have an older 19 and my pump doesn't have that superstructure on top of the pump. If it is a switch, I don't think it's the problem since the pump gets very warm. I'm just wondering what that switch, if it is a switch, does?
Also, the pics of the strainer show the clear part down. I've seen it in the up position. So? It should be down?
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
It shouldn't be that hard to replace the pump. My recommendation since you have trips planned is to attempt replacement yourself. Worst case you still have a non-working system, but the flip side is you are on the road with a working system and are proud of your accomplishment. If you run into trouble just post some pictures and members here will guide you through.

Since it is under warranty see if ETI will expedite a pump to you. That is the least they can do if you are doing your own labor. If they can't then buy it online and submit the receipt to them. I would get the same exact pump to make installation the easiest.

By the way...this is the strainer that Pat mentioned above. This isn't your problem though because even if this was clogged the pump would turn on. Still worth checking to make sure it is clean.
Strainers
Thankyou Dave for the link for Pete and Lisa , means I don't have to get down there to get a picture . (You know where the 19 's pump is ) Pat
Old 05-01-2018, 10:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkgman51 View Post
Is that a "flow" switch on the top of the pump? I have an older 19 and my pump doesn't have that superstructure on top of the pump. If it is a switch, I don't think it's the problem since the pump gets very warm. I'm just wondering what that switch, if it is a switch, does?
Also, the pics of the strainer show the clear part down. I've seen it in the up position. So? It should be down?
Not sure but ours was up when we got our trailer and I put it down . Makes more sense to me to catch debris . I was also trying to figure out why we have to change out the pump once a year . We are on number 4 . We carry a spare . Pat
Old 05-01-2018, 10:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Hey Pat,
Pete and Lisa Dave gave you pictures of the little filter . You have good suggestions here . Pat
Old 05-01-2018, 11:12 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Changing a water pump is a basic RV skill that is good to learn. Nothing difficult unless you’re in a 19, then you have to be a bit of a contortionist.
Four wood screws on the base, two hand tightened plastic nuts on the water lines at the pump, and two wire connections. Take a pic of existing setup or diagram it, and go for it. If Reace will send you the pump that would be the best, but totally agree with Dave to get the same one so it’s a simple swap.
Of course, if Reace wants you to head to a service center first, may want to do that if you have time.
Keep us posted.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Pete and Lisa Dave gave you pictures of the little filter . You have good suggestions here . Pat
Thanks so MUCH to EVERYBODY helping out with good advice ! We really appreciate everyone on this forum !
Old 05-01-2018, 11:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkgman51 View Post
Is it possible you have an Artis pump? Escape was using them for a little while. They look a little different from the Shurflo put still have a pressure switch on the front. The pressure switch allows the pump to turn on (cut in) at a certain pressure and turn off at a higher pressure (cut out).
www.gulfstreamcoach.com/media/uploads/1/11440_Artis-Water-Pump-PDS1RV25-Manual.pdf

Regarding the strainers the Shurflo installation instructions don't specify an orientation. I prefer mine with the clear part down, but I don't see an issue if it is mounted another way.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Is it possible you have an Artis pump? Escape was using them for a little while. They look a little different from the Shurflo put still have a pressure switch on the front. The pressure switch allows the pump to turn on (cut in) at a certain pressure and turn off at a higher pressure (cut out).
www.gulfstreamcoach.com/media/uploads/1/11440_Artis-Water-Pump-PDS1RV25-Manual.pdf

Regarding the strainers the Shurflo installation instructions don't specify an orientation. I prefer mine with the clear part down, but I don't see an issue if it is mounted another way.
Dave after replacing one a year I was looking for anything for a solution or answer . Still have same now 26 year old Shurflo pump on our water distiller at home . RV's before 12 plus years before any replacements . Pat
Old 05-01-2018, 01:55 PM   #15

I just called back ETI and they are sending me out a new pump under warranty. They’ll ship it out on their next US shipment date, (next Monday) and I should have it by the 12th or Thanks again to everyone for all the great advice !
Old 07-26-2018, 01:08 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 15B Escape Trailer
I'm having a similar problem. The pump switch light turns on. I can hear a faint hum but not the usual loud noise I hear when the pump is being used. Only a trickle of water comes out of the faucet. I'm dry camping the next few days. Any advice on cause and possible solutions would be greatly appreciated. I've never had a problem with pump before. My trailer is 4 years old. What's the average life of water pump and fuse. But if the fuse died, would the switch light up and I hear it faintly running.
California Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:42 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Sounds like a clogged filter, they do need to be cleaned occasionally...
Old 07-26-2018, 07:19 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Sounds like a clogged filter, they do need to be cleaned occasionally...
That was going to be my first suggestion. Remove the filter/strainer at the inlet to the pump by unscrewing the clear housing and clean it. If it has clogged up slowly over the years it will be severely restricting flow.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:33 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 15B Escape Trailer
Jim & cpaharley, is this the part that you're suggesting be cleaned? I've removed it but it looks pretty clean. My manual doesn't mention this item under routine maintenance section and I dont remember it being mentioned during walk through but that was 4 years ago. Going to wash it out now and will let you know if it works. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
20180726_061934.jpg   20180726_061154.jpg  
California Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:44 AM   #20

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, that is it.