Waxing a 5.0TA - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2020, 06:50 PM   #21

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy in Maine View Post
Does anyone have a good ladder or set up that would allow waxing of the roof to be easier?
I use two A-frame ladders with a scaffold plank between them. It is hard to see, but the front ladder is where the driveway drops off. The a-frame allows me to have the uphill leg one rung shorter so that the ladder is level and stable.

See picture.
Attached Thumbnails
6EA12346-A185-4FE4-BC93-C167E382311Ba.jpg  
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:59 PM   #22

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
Can you get over the roof? I have a set of something like this that makes short work of the scrubbing, but tough to reach the center of the roof. Cheap money well spent.

Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:25 PM   #23

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Can you get over the roof?
From the position in the photo I can reach all but the very center. That was my spring wax. In the fall, I go up one rung with the scaffold and get the center before the PNW rains. I use an orbital polisher that extends my reach. I only use a soft auto brush for washing. I would not use the scrubbers you pictured. The bristles look to stiff to me. For bugs I use a teflon safe kitchen sponge.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:38 PM   #24

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
I use two A-frame ladders with a scaffold plank between them. It is hard to see, but the front ladder is where the driveway drops off. The a-frame allows me to have the uphill leg one rung shorter so that the ladder is level and stable.

See picture.
'**** Can you say that here (no you cannot)? (That is a nice setup.) These days I hate it when I see something that makes so much sense. I don't want to buy more things like a scaffolding. Alas, that is not my future. Looks great! Thanks Arnie! I don't see Kizzy doing any work. Can you use him to buff out fiberglass, if your careful? Can you lightly polish with his coat? Is he a him?
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:01 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Keep in mind that any job that takes that much effort is unlikely to be appreciated by a casual observer.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:34 PM   #26

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
From the position in the photo I can reach all but the very center. That was my spring wax. In the fall, I go up one rung with the scaffold and get the center before the PNW rains. I use an orbital polisher that extends my reach. I only use a soft auto brush for washing. I would not use the scrubbers you pictured. The bristles look to stiff to me. For bugs I use a teflon safe kitchen sponge.
Good thinking. Bugs don't stick well to a well waxed surface. I have hot water at one of my garden hose sillcocks (I built the garage) which makes those brushes even softer. I think I can rig up something to get the center of the camper using your plank suggestion and a couple of step ladders.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:38 PM   #27

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
I have hot water at one of my garden hose sillcocks (I built the garage) which makes those brushes even softer.

Being an irrigation designer from way back, you have piqued my interests. Would you mind explaining your hot water delivery system. And thank you.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:52 PM   #28

Not very complicated. When I built my little 40'x28' x12' garage (using SIPs and radiant floor heating) the heat comes from my house condensing boiler since it is only about 20' from the garage. I just ran domestic hot and cold water, and radiant floor hot/cold in separate 3/4" pex tubing under the foundation in insulated 6" PVC conduit 4 ' under ground. The heated floor (4 x 300 foot loops 1/2" pex in 6" insulated concrete) hot & cold return is in its own pex tubing. It is actually pretty energy efficient and doesn't cost a lot to keep the shop 50º all winter even here in Maine.

It is actually pretty handy, but we don't use it very often. Handy for car washing and other stuff. It just looks like 2 silcocks on the front wall.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:54 PM   #29

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19
Hi Donna: at some point I think I recall you using Rejex on Ten Forward. Am I mistaken- or did you switch to Meguir's? I am still using Regex, but was wondering?

Jim
Leisure Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:00 PM   #30
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisure Lee View Post
Hi Donna: at some point I think I recall you using Rejex on Ten Forward. Am I mistaken- or did you switch to Meguir's? I am still using Regex, but was wondering?

Jim
How's the Rejex working out for you? I still have a unopened bottle because I did go with Meguiars. I think one of these days I'll really clean the wheel wells and use the Rejex there.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:22 PM   #31

I have been happy with the results. When not camping, I store the trailer inside and the Rejex seems to last very well. I do the roof and the nose every year, after going over with a polish or compound first. The sides and back I don't do every year unless water isn't beading well or dirt is starting to stick. Rejex advertises that "Nothing Sticks but the Shine"- but there are bugs that ignore the advertising. It does provide a good shine and cleans up nice with sudsy washes.
I did my wheel wells with it, and it's an awkward place to work- with the tires on. I can tell you I still get road tar and dirt in the wheel wells and I'm not convinced it comes off any easier with Rejex than without.
The only thing I was wondering about was whether or not different products can have an impact on the external colour of the Gel Coat over time. I attended the Osoyoos Rally in 2016, and noticed that newer trailers tended to be whiter, while some trailers remained white as they aged and others seemed to have a creamy hue? Just my imagination or...?

Jim
Old 07-13-2020, 09:29 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisure Lee View Post
The only thing I was wondering about was whether or not different products can have an impact on the external colour of the Gel Coat over time. I attended the Osoyoos Rally in 2016, and noticed that newer trailers tended to be whiter, while some trailers remained white as they aged and others seemed to have a creamy hue? Just my imagination or...?
Jim
Jim, the 1st generation trailers gelcoat is Colonial White. The 2nd generation trailers are Bright White. I'm not sure there were any 2nd gen trailers produced by time the May Rally in 2016 though...

Wish I could store my trailer in a pole barn. Poor thing sits outside subjected to 365 grunge falling from the sky....
Old 07-13-2020, 09:58 PM   #33

Thanks Donna. There was a new Gen 2 19 there on display and it was clearly whiter. Makes sense.
Thanks
Jim
Old 07-13-2020, 10:38 PM   #34

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
I'll be taking delivery of a 5.0 in a couple of weeks. A question, how much weight will the roof tolerate? Can it be walked on? Crawled on? Waxing would be easier if you could crawl around up there rather than setting up scaffolding.
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:47 PM   #35

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Now that we're at the end of page two of the posts, I'll interject this tangent:
Instead of wax, we use Aero 303 (#30313), which actually penetrates the surface pores. After almost 5 years, we think it has preserved the trailer finish in excellent form. It is a formula used by aircraft owners and some boaters here in our So.Calif. county, and is very effective at UV protection.
It's much easier to apply than wax: spray it on, wipe it dry.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:22 PM   #36

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Why wipe Aero 303 dry? Why not just leave it to dry?
Old 07-14-2020, 01:07 AM   #37

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre View Post
I'll be taking delivery of a 5.0 in a couple of weeks. A question, how much weight will the roof tolerate? Can it be walked on? Crawled on? Waxing would be easier if you could crawl around up there rather than setting up scaffolding.
Would I walk randomly around on the roof? No. Would I kneel on the roof in some locations, yes, and I do. My guideline for putting weight on the roof is determined where the bulkheads are inside.

When doing something like waxing the roof I routinely kneel on the roof, but with care.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 06:37 AM   #38

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Bugs don't stick well to a well waxed surface.
Thi is NOT my experience on the front of the 5.0TA. Even trying to scrub them off on a double coat of Starbright in the campground after a day of driving the highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre View Post

Once freshly waxed the angled roof on my 5.0TA is slick as wet ice. It can be very slippery just leaning on it so be careful.

Donna, I've still got an unopened bottle of Rejex too. I couldn't figure out a way to use it without a covered shelter.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:26 AM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Donna, I've still got an unopened bottle of Rejex too. I couldn't figure out a way to use it without a covered shelter.
That's the reason I decided not to use it, it's not supposed to applied in the sunshine.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:28 AM   #40
Site Team

I'm a member of a large Casita Group on Facebook. This just popped up. I'll follow the thread and report back here, what a RV Detailing Professional says:

"RESTORING THE SHINE ON YOUR CASITA
I've invited Kevin Cuellar, owner of All Seasons Auto Boat & RV Detailing in Corsicana TX, to join our group to help answer questions about restoring the shine to your Casita and how they do it at his shop. Let's start by Kevin telling us how he accomplishes that at All Seasons. (Thank you, Kevin!)
— at All Seasons Auto Boat & RV Detailing."